Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

trixyben wrote: »
    does anyone else find vincent browne annoying? ah ah yeah ah ah yeah talk bout 1 thing then on to another thing then back to the 1st thing than ah ah yeah yeah ah ah well em!!!!

He's almost as annoying as Mario Rosenstock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Dear jaysis another person that does not understand the rules and etiquette of a debate :rolleyes:

Gay Mitchell should not have made a comment to Kenny. Nobody is questioning that. So thats a pretty crap and redundant point you made.

Pat Kenny as a debate moderator is NOT entitled to defend himself during the debate. After the debate yes but not during the debate. He should only remind Mitchell of the rules of the debate and enforce them. He was right to say that it was the public asking the questions and not himself but that is it. If they were having a debate in a pub, Kenny is fully in his rights to defend himself. In the coldness of a political debate he should not ever try and score a point over a participant. Its wrong and it goes against all debate etiquette. A moderator needs to be cold and emotionless.

Raising what was said by Sinn Fein outside the debate for Sean Gallagher was again wrong and immoral. The debate should be a closed house as soon as it starts. The doors should have been locked and any contact with the outside should not have happened until the debate finished.

It's funny that you are the only person who is 'right' in this forum.

Kenny had a right to defend himself as he was personally attacked. Gay Mitchell was and is an embarrassment.

Dear jaysis another person that does not understand the rules and etiquette of a debate :rolleyes:

Gay Mitchell should not have made a comment to Kenny. Nobody is questioning that. So thats a pretty crap and redundant point you made.

It's a TV show. It doesn't have to - nor should it, operate by the same rules & etiquette of a standard debate. It's not the Trinity debating club - it's television. Different medium. Different rules. Different concept altogether.

So thats a pretty crap and redundant point you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Are political debates usually conducted with a live audience asking populist, personalised and somewhat irrelevant questions?

I don't think Kenny's response to Mitchell is the biggest reason to criticize the thing overall.

Some debates are but all effort is made to make sure they show no reaction or have partisanship. Tonights debate was a pantomime and it was clear there was partisanship with many audience members. I dont think a public debate should happen again with an audience in this country.

I agree about some of the stupid questioning. The Dennis O'Brien question was shockingly immoral and just plain wrong. I dont know if RTE even filtered the questions. The questions should be a broad question for all the participants to debate. To ask McGuinness about his IRA past and then to ask somebody else what they think of his past is wrong in a debate. Even if the question was "What is your opinion of the IRA during the troubles?" would be suitable and then another participant could question somebodies comments would be ok IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Mitchell was a terrible choice by FG. A moaner of the highest degree. I always was convinced that Sean Gallagher wasnt an honest man. I just hope the Irish public aren't dumb enough to vote him in but again nothing surprises me about this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Some debates are but all effort is made to make sure they show no reaction or have partisanship. Tonights debate was a pantomime and it was clear there was partisanship with many audience members. I dont think a public debate should happen again with an audience in this country.

And what instead? Give the candidates the questions before hand and have them rattle off speeches?

I thought tonight's debate was great! Best Tv I've seen in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

cloneslad wrote: »
    It's funny that you are the only person who is 'right' in this forum.

Kenny had a right to defend himself as he was personally attacked. Gay Mitchell was and is an embarrassment.

Nope, its not me that is right. Its the rules that are right and the breaking of the rules and etiquette that are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 GFJD

bleg wrote: »
    And what instead? Give the candidates the questions before hand and have them rattle off speeches?

I thought tonight's debate was great! Best Tv I've seen in a while!

Yeah fully agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I agree about some of the stupid questioning. The Dennis O'Brien question was shockingly immoral and just plain wrong. I dont know if RTE even filtered the questions. The questions should be a broad question for all the participants to debate. To ask McGuinness about his IRA past and then to ask somebody else what they think of his past is wrong in a debate. Even if the question was "What is your opinion of the IRA during the troubles?" would be suitable and then another participant could question somebodies comments would be ok IMO.

But the Vincent Brown debate, which was conducted without an audience (iirc)was conducted without an audience and it was just like a school ground slanging match and nothing productive came out of it.

Lots of people will have been swayed one way or another on their vote after tonight's debate, which is what we should be striving for.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wait a minute:

BREAKING NEWS: SF are advocating a Yes vote in the Referenda.

SF better get this out to the Shinners and add it to the propaganda sheet.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    MMG really ran rings around Gallagher, brilliant TV

Really great watching McGuinness sweat as he was asked time & time again about PIRA murders, (but he just couldn't say murder), I was waiting for smoke to come out of his ears when everybody ganged up on him, nice :)) Not that it will make a blind bit of difference to you SF fellers, who would vote for him even if they found one of the disappeared buried in his back garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 GFJD

trixyben wrote: »
    does anyone else find vincent browne annoying? ah ah yeah ah ah yeah talk bout 1 thing then on to another thing then back to the 1st thing than ah ah yeah yeah ah ah well em!!!!

ah ah well um ah yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

Who are these Gallagher voters ? No reason whatsoever to vote for him .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

LordSutch wrote: »
    Jezuz, the sickening irony & hypocrisy!

McGuinness (ex PIRA man) get the nod over Businessman & Entrepreneur, what's the world coming to.

McGuinness put his life on the line to fight for freedom, Gallagher is busy getting 5 grand from criminals to fund Fianna Fail. The establishment in Ireland is afraid of Sinn Fein they are biggest party on the Island and they know that they rule the Dail when our Island is united. FG would lose an election and let FF in if it meant keeping Sinn Fein out.

I am voting for Michael D. now not so much as a vote for M. D but as an anti Traitor/FF/Gallagher/Scumbag vote.

Nope, its not me that is right. Its the rules that are right and the breaking of the rules and etiquette that are wrong.

You're like a broken record.

Constantly repeating yourself, stating that you are "right" (without any evidence to back it up) & insulting other posters is hardly within the rules and etiquette of good debating skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

It don't know where you're getting the idea that there should be rules in a political debate. Thuis wasn't a university debating competition.

Maybe you think they should all have been wearing top hats and white gloves as well?

If they can't take a bit of tough questioning (from Pat frickin' Kenny) then they don't have what it takes to be president.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

cant believe 70 people so far have voted gallagher, that anyone is voting him at all actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Stinicker wrote: »
    McGuinness put his life on the line to fight for freedom, Gallagher is busy getting 5 grand from criminals to fund Fianna Fail. The establishment in Ireland is afraid of Sinn Fein they are biggest party on the Island and they know that they rule the Dail when our Island is united. FG would lose an election and let FF in if it meant keeping Sinn Fein out.

I am voting for Michael D. now not so much as a vote for M. D but as an anti Traitor/FF/Gallagher/Scumbag vote.

Are you including McGuinness in this?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Are you including McGuinness in this?

No, the four terms mean the same thing to me, gallagher=fiannafail=scumbag=traitors = the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

What wouldn't surprise me at all is that SG vote would increase in the opinion polls. It happened before with Bertie.

• Advertisement

teednab-el wrote: »
    What wouldn't surprise me at all is that SG vote would increase in the opinion polls. It happened before with Bertie.

But we were all rich and deluded with borrowed money then.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

Gallagher :eek: What a gangster!

Stinicker wrote: »
    No, the four terms mean the same thing to me, gallagher=fiannafail=scumbag=traitors = the truth.

Why not include McGuinnes in there too? Robbing banks and murder is fairly scummy too......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Why not include McGuinnes in there too? Robbing banks and murder is fairly scummy too......

But it's ok, he did it because he's a patriot. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Cant believe (insert_vote_number) people are voting for (insert_nonprefered_candidate). No wonder Ireland is (insert_joeduffymoanerstyle_irelandgoingdowntubes_comment).

Here's hoping you all live in basment flats tonight.

But it's ok, he did it because he's a patriot. :pac:

Tell that to Mrs Gerry McCabe et al...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Tell that to Mrs Gerry McCabe et al...

Oh I know. I don't want him to get elected. He's a terrorist ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Cant believe (insert_vote_number) people are voting for (insert_nonprefered_candidate). No wonder Ireland is (insert_joeduffymoanerstyle_irelandgoingdowntubes_comment).

Nice.:rolleyes:
    Your toys are over there
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »

Well that's the most pathetic comment in a 2500+ post thread so far. Congratulations. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

LordSutch wrote: »
    Really great watching McGuinness sweat as he was asked time & time again about PIRA murders, (but he just couldn't say murder), I was waiting for smoke to come out of his ears when everybody ganged up on him, nice :)) Not that it will make a blind bit of difference to you SF fellers, who would vote for him even if they found one of the disappeared buried in his back garden!

I am amazed someone whose private army killed police + army in this state - and our neighbouring state - is standing for President. And some people do not mind blood on his hands. They expect someone else, when questioned on the spur of the moment, to immediately remember / know what was in all envelopes they forward on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement