Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

billybudd wrote: »
    Well according to this poll Dana is more popular than Davis, as bad as davis has come across she is in no way the worse choice out of the seven.

SG has amazingly recieved another 11 votes since last nites debate, now that is scary.

MMG was very good when that tool of a woman spoke about the Irish republic having nothing to do with NI. I felt slightly ashamed listening to her.[/QUOTE]
    She was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Enjoyed the debate, full of action, will miss the election now when its over! Note how Norris keeps saying: 'here, here!'

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

I'm the same.
    Norris, Higgins and McGuinness are top three, in that order.
    Mitchell is getting no preference at all; I won't even dignify him with a #7.

I had Gallagher at #4 previously but after tonight I'm bumping him down to #6. Which means Dana is now #5! :eek: If you'd told me a few months ago I'd put Dana ahead of two other candidates in the field, I'd have said you were crazy.

Thankfully I won't realistically have to worry about anyone below my second preference getting my vote because I think Higgins and Norris are the only two worthy of voting for.

You don't have to worry about anyone getting your vote, just don't vote for them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

gambiaman wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/presidential-election/gallagher-charged-gaa-clubs-up-to-euro5000-for-grants-advice-2915300.html

Bullshyte or reality? Grassroots or insider?

"PRESIDENTIAL frontrunner Sean Gallagher charged GAA clubs in his home county of Louth as much as €5,000 to help out with applications for sports grants, the Irish Independent has learned.
    Local sources last night told the Irish Independent: "He was inside with Fianna Fail and the ministers and (he had) the inside track, he had been (Dr Rory) O'Hanlon's secretary. Once you got him to do it, you were going to get the grant.

"We weren't going to him looking for ham sandwiches, you know. There was unspoken word."

I believe every word of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/presidential-election/gallagher-charged-gaa-clubs-up-to-euro5000-for-grants-advice-2915300.html

Bullshyte or reality? Grassroots or insider?

"PRESIDENTIAL frontrunner Sean Gallagher charged GAA clubs in his home county of Louth as much as €5,000 to help out with applications for sports grants, the Irish Independent has learned.
    Local sources last night told the Irish Independent: "He was inside with Fianna Fail and the ministers and (he had) the inside track, he had been (Dr Rory) O'Hanlon's secretary. Once you got him to do it, you were going to get the grant.

"We weren't going to him looking for ham sandwiches, you know. There was unspoken word."

i thought SG was from cavan ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I haven't heard one single person as of yet that was voting Seanie that's not now, as in everyone who's saying he's finished wasn't voting for him anyway, I'm not voting for him BTW, just an observation. I want a real thoroughbred leprechaun to be president, Higgins, it'll be great for tourism.
    http://www.sceala.com/phpBB2/userpix/2_michael_d_higgins_posters_president_of_ireland_3.jpg

I was pretty sure I was going to give Gallagher my first preference before all this news broke about him. I went to one of his talks and was lulled in by the facade. The debate last night copperfastened it in my mind that he is just another FFer despite the thin veneer he had going that fooled people. I know a few people that would be the same. There is no way I am voting for him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

MMG got off lightly. I felt he wasnt given the grilling he deserved. In fairness to him though, he handled what was put to him well.

She (the woman who asked the question about "down here", etc) was and absolute moron. She probably thought she was being incredibly insightful and "putting it up to MMG". In fact she gave him the easiest, underarm, lob of a question that he was just able to bat away easily. I agreed with MMG in his response....I think the whole panel did. She seemed to forget that the current president was from Belfast. When you give someone a crazy question like that it's so easy for them to answer the crazy stuff and come off well. MMG did that.

The second questioner of MMG was also not very convincing and a bit rambling.

Anyway - you can only answer what is put to you and MMG did that.

SG had the look of a man with everything to loose. If he could have got away with saying NOTHING all night he would have. Serious questions now for him.

Higgins and Norris were delightful and presidential. Mitchell.......I like many of his ideas....but he's so far from convincing. Others didn't register really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I don't understand how people were considering voting for Gallagher. Very short memories.

This whole election he's tried to downplay his links to FF as merely a "grass roots" member. He's ran a very slick campaign, very professional, very positive and people have fallen for it.

We did vote in Bertie last time out when he was in the middle of his own corruption scandal so I don't suppose there should be any difference now.

Fantastic Frontline last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

:pac:
    smokingman wrote: »
    With regard to the above poll, what people have to remember is that all political candidates usually employ agencies to log into discussion sites like this to register some sort of support for the paying customer.

Happened in the Lisbon debates and has been used increasingly since then as a PR tool. A tool that is the modern day version of planting someone in the audience of the Late Late.

Quite the debate last night though. Kenny proved his worth as a moderator that kept things going even if he's not worth much as a human being.

Gallagher kind of committed political suicide as opposed to being knifed.
    The "envelope" and "just resting in my account" remarks sealed his fate.
    MDH fared well and his laughing and joking about the attacks on his age at the end endeared him to a lot I'd say.

Dana and Mitchell were just bloody nuts...

MMG came out shooting ;) but I doubt it saved his campaign.

Mary....was she even there?

Norris was a bleedin legend and I'd say he's after getting a few more votes after the lulz he brought.

Gallagher is on Kennys radio show this morning and Matt Coopers later this afternoon. Should be interesting to see if he has any way back from this.

And who is? It's generally considered that to purchase the elements that make up a human costs less than £2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Have to say was the most entertaining of any of the debates. MMG destroyed SG but it made for great T.V. Gallagher didn't know what happened to him and was a deer caught in the headlights. His excuses were terrible. First I didn't go to his house. Then I did. I didn't take a chq, but I took an envelope. Then trying to attack MMG about the mans character, after he took money from so called dodgy character and gave it to FF. Unreal.

Pat Knny IMO was the best host of any of the debates. Actually found him quite funny at times, and Mitchell was losing the plot at the end.

Norris was a class clown, who everybody loved. Great one liners, and the one at the very end of him declaring, and here I am, was a cracker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

i thought SG was from cavan ?

He has lived in Louth for ages apparently.

On PK Today: Gallagher is lashing out at SF and now the woman who challenged him about his business on FL last night.
    He's accused her of being a party hack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Absolute nightmare for gallaher on Pat Kenny show right now. Worth tuning in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

MMG was very good when that tool of a woman spoke about the Irish republic having nothing to do with NI. I felt slightly ashamed listening to her.

She will probably have a column in the independent newspaper in no time. She'd fit right in with their coverage so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

On PK Today: Gallagher is lashing out at SF and now the woman who challenged him about his business on FL last night.
    He's accused her of being a party hack

She did seem well informed and particularly keen - not a sign that she's a party hack of course...but she certainly was persistant.
    I thought Pat Kenny could have been a bit better at managing some of the "questions". You know....the "questions" that are preceded by 40 seconds of a rant.

"Given that you are a total and utter toolbag.....corrupt....stupid......inept.......how do you feel that would help you in the Aras?"

The woman who pushed SG was fine though. She just wanted an answer - which she is entitled to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just heard a few clips of the debate last night. McGuinness forcing Gallagher to answer the question put to him. What a tool.

There's nobody I particularly want to vote for tbh. MIchael D seems like the only normal one.... ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

All I can say is what a bunch of bickering 5 years olds serously I dont want any of them respresenting the country there all full of ****e

That_Guy wrote: »
    Just heard a few clips of the debate last night. McGuinness forcing Gallagher to answer the question put to him. What a tool.

There's nobody I particularly want to vote for tbh. MIchael D seems like the only normal one.... ish.

It reminded me of the Simpsons, you know where Lisa breaks little Ralph Wiggums heart and they watch the video clip over again ?

That was Gallagher after he said the word 'Envelope' :) Go through it frame by frame and you will see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SeaFields wrote: »
    Absolute nightmare for gallaher on Pat Kenny show right now. Worth tuning in

Claims SF are trying to take him out!

Interesting though that Kenny said the SF Twitter account that broke the news isn't official.

Reporter saying McGuinness has changed his story today. SG got the cheque a few days previously and was cashed on the day of the dinner. The photo would have been delivered separately.

Apparently SG partially named the businessman on the Kenny show so the name will probably come out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

All I can say is what a bunch of bickering 5 years olds serously I dont want any of them respresenting the country there all full of ****e

A little harsh there is three good choices there imo. MDH, MMG & DN.

K-9 wrote: »

Interesting though that Kenny said the SF Twitter account that broke the news isn't official.

Reporter saying McGuinness has changed his story today. SG got the cheque a few days previously and was cashed on the day of the dinner. The photo would have been delivered separately.

Apparently SG partially named the businessman on the Kenny show so the name will probably come out.

Would that not be Gallagher changing his story again ?

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »

His name came out on the VB show last night i thought?

SG just reminds me of the dark days of FF and its good old boys network, seemingly SG cannot take it when someone questions his character, if you cant take it dont give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

tolosenc wrote: »
    Gallagher didn't help his cause.

Still getting my vote as he is the only candidate even vaguely suitable for the job.

So dirty dealings and brown envelopes don't matter to you.
    No wonder the country is in such a state.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Gallagher didn't help his cause.

Still getting my vote as he is the only candidate even vaguely suitable for the job.

Apart from what happend last night and apart from him being sneaky about his past as a FF lacky, what has he done that makes him a suitable president?

I mean i am not the greatest fan of DN or MDH but surely they have more impressive cv's than SG?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

He will still get in - because a lot of people don't think what he did was bad. Maybe he was trying to dodge tax but sure wouldn't we all try to get around a few loop holes. People don't regret the celtic tiger and what it did to the country. People want the money back - we learned absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Apart from what happend last night and apart from him being sneaky about his past as a FF lacky, what has he done that makes him a suitable president?

He ran a building products company off the back of the Fianna Fail led boom.

He was a board member of FAS.

He had loads of dodgy business dealings & bank accounting "issues".

He's the perfect candidate to represent what has gone on in Ireland for the last 10 years.

Ironé wrote: »
    He will still get in - because a lot of people don't think what he did was bad. Maybe he was trying to dodge tax but sure wouldn't we all try to get around a few loop holes. People don't regret the celtic tiger and what it did to the country. People want the money back - we learned absolutely nothing.

:rolleyes:

He ran a building products company off the back of the Fianna Fail led boom.

He was a board member of FAS.

He had loads of dodgy business dealings & bank accounting "issues".

He's the perfect candidate to represent what has gone on in Ireland for the last 10 years.

Am just suprised he has a bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Ironé wrote: »

Yes, morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

:rolleyes:

LOL :D

Seriously though, people posting on facebook this morning that they don't see the big deal. It is beyond depressing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement