Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Who the hell is still voting for Sean in this poll, it defies belief. :mad:

Can we reset the poll???

If we reset it can we make it public this time? At this point if you can't be proud of your allegiances you probably shouldn't be holding them.

(Would also stop any rigging as has been suggested is going on by a couple of previous posters {although I think that suggestion is a little tin foil hatty myself}).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

George Hook is slow to cop it but.......

Sean Gallagher told him he categorically pick up No Cheque.

Hugh Morgan says he came to his office and picked it up.

Exposed as a liar (if you believe Hugh Morgan).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

The real comeback kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The fuel smuggler who was caught for tax avoision? Very trustworthy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

strobe wrote: »
    If we reset it can we make it public this time? At this point if you can't be proud of your allegiances you probably shouldn't be holding them.

(Would also stop any rigging as has been suggested is going on by a couple of previous posters {although I think that suggestion is a little tin foil hatty myself}).

Will be interesting to note all single digit posters opting for Gallagher in a public poll, as I reckon there are tonnes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

foxyboxer wrote: »
    The fuel smuggler who was caught for tax avoision? Very trustworthy :D

Ohh...dear...God!! You're one of those people.

:pac:

Ohh...dear...God!! You're one of those people.

:pac:

Kent Brockman says so! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

It's a sad bunch really.

-The Joycean scholar who tried to use his position to help out his buddies.
    -The brassnecked former terrorist who has made a fine art out of denial
    -The stereotypical Celtic Tiger dodgy businessman who fooled the electorate into loving him by being "de lad off de telly"
    -The FG head who is utterly unlikeable, even to members of his own party
    -The nice old man who has become the least worst candidate by default but will probably die of old age a fortnight into his term
    -The religious, ex-celebrity nutcase who seeks to win by being everyone's mammy
    -Mary Davis :confused:

Me thinks 79 is not that old anymore. Not by the way that auld fecker has been whipping around the country. He certainly has a youthful mind, moreso then the rest of them, possibly Norris as the exception from what I saw last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Actually as far as I remember in the debate SG Stated that he never took any cheque when he handed over the photograph, then MMG asked him to be careful what he stated as it would all come out (based on the conversation he had with Hugh Morgan on the phone) ...now on Breaking news ..
    ""Sean Gallagher, who I had never met previous to this, contacted me by phone. He first phoned me on the 6th June 2008 and invited me to attend the above fundraiser. In the course of the call he requested a donation of €5,000.00 for Fianna Fáil. He advised me that this type of fundraising would replace the annual Galway Tent Fundraiser. In return for the €5,000 donation I was promised a private audience with the Taoiseach and I would get a photograph taken with him.

"He told me that the Taoiseach would give an update on the economy in the South which in his words was 'beginning to wobble'.

"On the 9th June he again phoned me to confirm my attendance . I confirmed that I would attend and was prepared to give the donation he requested. He left two mobile phone numbers for me to contact him on.

"On the 27th June Sean Gallagher visited my business premises at Killean, County Armagh. I wrote a cheque for €5,000 and gave it to him personally. I still have the stub of the cheque. This payment is declared in my company accounts and was cleared through my bank on the 1st July 2008.

"I then attended the fundraiser which was also attended by other businessmen from South Armagh, North Louth and across the Northeast. Sean Gallagher greeted the guests on arrival and directed us to the room at the top of the hotel where the fundraiser was held.

"Brian Cowen gave a speech on the economy and predicted a soft landing. At the end of the night Sean Gallagher introduced me to Brian Cowen and facilitated a photograph to be taken of myself and him. Approximately one week later Sean Gallagher called back to my business and gave me the photograph.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/morgan-confirms-giving-5k-cheque-to-gallagher-525781.html#ixzz1boXHuJQR

Seems to me that SG was actually telling the truth at the time but still proves he was collecting for FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Me thinks 79 is not that old anymore.

Jaysus.. has he aged 9 years since last night?! =p

I think there's a lot of unfair talk about Higgins' age.. Norris is only 3 years younger than him and there doesn't seem to be near as much concern about his age.

• Advertisement

Jaysus.. has he aged 9 years since last night?! =p

I think there's a lot of unfair talk about Higgins' age.. Norris is only 3 years younger than him and there doesn't seem to be near as much concern about his age.

There's less concern as he's unlikely to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gallagher on RTE 1 right now
    foxyboxer wrote: »
    There's less concern as he's unlikely to win!

Even if he was favorite to win, I doubt his age would be much of an issue to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Gallagher on the news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Sean is digging this hole deeper and deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Gallagher on the news!

he is losing votes big time , his rating in the polls is dropping so fast its making a whistling noise that can be heard in space , bye bye sean

He must be gutted to see it slip through his fingers, nearly feel sorry for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

"The allegation is not corruption Mr Gallagher, it's you not telling the truth."
    Ha!
    Dobson quoted Gallagher's own spokesman against him - Gallagher got that baldy rabbit in the headlights look again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Me thinks 79 is not that old anymore..........He certainly has a youthful mind, moreso then the rest of them, .....

I think there have been moments throughout the media coverage, interviews and debates where I would doubt that he has the sustained mental faculties. Yes he is intelligent and articulate, but there were moments where he seemed slightly confused, even slower to grasp things when the discussion progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Missed it :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

RTE1+1 or RTE News Now at about 7.25

• Advertisement

Me thinks 79 is not that old anymore. Not by the way that auld fecker has been whipping around the country. He certainly has a youthful mind, moreso then the rest of them, possibly Norris as the exception from what I saw last night.

Michale D is only 70, born april 1941. I thought his age would be a problem too but he is still in fighting form.
    one caller on joe duffy today kept saying we need a modern man, this has nothing to do with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

hondasam wrote: »
    Sean is digging this hole deeper and deeper.

It needs to be deep so he can hide all those cheques down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

He was working as a bag man for FF's long running bribe extraction campaign on local businessmen and has the cheek to pretend he is not a FF'er.
    SeaFields wrote: »
    For a guy that has built his campaign on the basis that he is independent this shows that up to very recently he was collecting large sums of money for the party who are attributed to have failed the country and, as it seems for the statement released by that Morgan guy, he had personal access to Cowan.

Doesn't strike me as being too independent

But he never claimed that he was never a member of ff :confused:
    He isnt running as a ff'er, but he freely admits he was once a member. Whats the big deal?

He isnt running as a ff'er, but he freely admits he was once a member. Whats the big deal?

He only left FF in Jan this year, he was not truthful about his association with FF.

He only left FF in Jan this year, he was not truthful about his association with FF.

Because he never told everybody, every single thing he did for the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

It's the lies he has told. He denied being involved at such a level, he denied collecting cheques, he denied having access to cowan.

All these have been proven to be lies. We don't need another liar in power, it's embarrassing for the country.

Because he never told everybody, every single thing he did for the party?

He should have stayed with FF, he has made himself look guilty even if he never did anything.
    Politics is a dirty game, he should have known this before he entered the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Gallagher's new theme song.

I must say I'm slightly enjoying his dramatic fall from grace. Not a smugness but that Politics can still be so entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Morlar wrote: »
    I think there have been moments throughout the media coverage, interviews and debates where I would doubt that he has the sustained mental faculties. Yes he is intelligent and articulate, but there were moments where he seemed slightly confused, even slower to grasp things when the discussion progressed.

That sounds remarkably like a description of Gallagher, not Michael D.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

cloneslad wrote: »
    It's the lies he has told. He denied being involved at such a level, he denied collecting cheques, he denied having access to cowan.

All these have been proven to be lies. We don't need another liar in power, it's embarrassing for the country.
    He should have stayed with FF, he has made himself look guilty even if he never did anything.
    Politics is a dirty game, he should have known this before he entered the race.

Dont get me wrong, i dont want to see gallagher as president, dont really fancy any of them to be honest. But this whole cheque thing is a major storm in a tea cup, no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement