Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official After Hours Presidential Election Thread **POLL RESET 23/10**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Madam wrote: »
    Jeesus! Yis aren't actually going to have Higgins as the president, he looks like some wee troll out of Lord of the Rings - you'll never live it down;)

As opposed to Gordon Brown, a fat bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Gallagher is back up in the polls today oh dear. I don't trust polls. But that's still worrying. It's like that 'ah sure isn't he lively though' attitude that kept Ff in power so long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Aishae wrote: »
    Gallagher is back up in the polls today oh dear. I don't trust polls. But that's still worrying. It's like that 'ah sure isn't he lively though' attitude that kept Ff in power so long

What polls >?

Gallagher is genetically crooked imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Morlar wrote: »
    What polls >?

Today FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Gallagher is a spoofer through and through. If he becomes president of this country it will tell us the kind of people we are.

He's the idiots' candidate. Utterly vacuous and devoid of any substance, but he claims to be some kind of great entrepreneur and was very nice on Dragons' Den, so let's make him head of state. Let's ignore the fact that he's the de facto candidate of the party which led the country into the biggest financial catastrophe in its history. Let's ignore his shiftiness, his evasiveness and his total ignorance of what the position of President actually entails, and vote in our droves for "dat nice man off de telly".

Whatever happens tomorrow, the fact that he somehow managed to bullshit his way towards nomination and a massive poll lead is a grim indictment of the state of this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

paddyandy wrote: »
    We saw the rise of the Drug Problem in Ireland from it's Infancy to the present Epidemic rate under the Watchful eyes of the IRA and Sinn Fein who understood the problem well but did little more than a token effort to deal with the devastation of lives and families both sides of the border.They knew well the importance of staying on the side of the young involved in drugs and crime to support their habits and to play the 'deprived' card all the way.To patronise reckless behaviour is to hold favour with them and this they did while playing the game in the divide while working class estates degenerated to a stage where Sinn Fein played the Role of Good Cop to them.They became local Decision Makers in Housing and facilities and the game goes on today.We'll find out in the next few days how many of us understood what is really going on in Ireland not to mention all their other shadowy ways.
    Sinn Fein/IRA HAD the Power and the Means to deal with the Problems but chose the Crafty Route on a street of coffins to an assumed Messianic Role in the South.....Well that is'nt gong to happen this time.

Wow! just wow!

Where do some people get their information.

RayM wrote: »
    He's the idiots' candidate. Utterly vacuous and devoid of any substance, but he claims to be some kind of great entrepreneur and was very nice on Dragons' Den, so let's make him head of state. Let's ignore the fact that he's the de facto candidate of the party which led the country into the biggest financial catastrophe in its history. Let's ignore his shiftiness, his evasiveness and his total ignorance of what the position of President actually entails, and vote in our droves for "dat nice man off de telly".

Whatever happens tomorrow, the fact that he somehow managed to bullshit his way towards nomination and a massive poll lead is a grim indictment of the state of this country.

I have said it before, but I genuinely think that the mainstream media's pre-occupation with negative campaigning against Martin McGuinness is responsible for creating the conditions that allowed Gallagher to crawl into the lead more or less un noticed until it was almost too late. If it wasn't for McGuinness on Frontline then Gallagher would have made it to the point of media embargo almost totally unquestioned about the depth of his FF involvement.

bleg wrote: »
    Morlar wrote: »
    What polls >?

Today FM
    Yep and one of those online paper / journal polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I wouldn't worry about any unofficial polls to be fair. Gallagher's team are trying influence the polls and spamming while they're at it. (See Below) and keep an eye out for it on other internet forums.

Gallagher's vote is slipping, he's losing the soft vote and his odds are lengthening with each passing minute.

Seanogg wrote: »
    I think you will find he can apply his enterprising skills and knowledge to grow the businesses in the country,

I know for a fact there is already a business plan in place and new task force ready to be implemented to reinvent the thirty three Enterprise boards in the country to inject a new dynamic approach to fresh start up businesses and re-energise the existing SME and rebuild the foundations in this country from the ground up village by village community by community...

And this is exactly what the country needs in my opinion. Thats what will happen when Sean Gallagher is elected and this is why I am so pro Mr. Gallagher and pledge my support in achieving this task .

I just hope the people of this great nation can see past these minor allegations and focus on the bigger picture and what we can accomplish together as a nation with the right guidance and structure in place which I know Sean will provide with us working together we actually can control our destiny.

EamonM wrote: »
    I think you will find he can apply his enterprising skills and knowledge to grow the businesses in the country,

I know for a fact there is already a business plan in place and new task force ready to be implemented to reinvent the thirty three Enterprise boards in the country to inject a new dynamic approach to fresh start up businesses and re-energise the existing SME and rebuild the foundations in this country from the ground up village by village community by community...

And this is exactly what the country needs in my opinion. Thats what will happen when Sean Gallagher is elected and this is why I am so pro Mr. Gallagher and pledge my support in achieving this task .

I just hope the people of this great nation can see past these minor allegations and focus on the bigger picture and what we can accomplish together as a nation with the right guidance and structure in place which I know Sean will provide with us working together we actually can control our destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

If Gallagher had never been on "d'telly" he wouldn't have gotten near the ballot.

Hope we don't pull a Schwarzeneger on it and vote him in because "I know him off the TV!"

Higgins should really run away with this as he is the best candidate out of an admittedly awful bunch. Imagine the landslide if it was 8 candidates with McAleese!

• Advertisement

Eh,,,, I really wish some folks would brush up on 'what the president actually does'
    They don't sit on their ass
    But theyre powers are not all about job creation etc. (except perhaps in a roundabout way by encouraging someone to invest in something)

I know some of those folks that go around saying 'my candidate will do this that and the other, and give you gold' are doing so, fully aware that it is greatly exaggerated but they feel the it'll help their candidate. They shoul ask themselves why they'd have to lie to get their candidate elected

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

As opposed to Gordon Brown, a fat bastard.

Gordon Brown's running for the Presidency? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If someone asks me next week who the Irish president is, my answer will be "no-one of any interest".

What a motley crew of peculiar people:(.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If someone asks me next week who the Irish president is, my answer will be "no-one of any interest".

What a motley crew of peculiar people:(.

It's all a ploy to take people's minds of the real politicians who've made such a mess of the country. A bit of soap opera etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

It's by far the worst presidential race I've ever had the misfortune to witness!
    If Gombeen Gallagher get's into the park I want to hand in my passport (can I even do that?), I'll move abroad and pretend I've never ever heard of a place called Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Sean Gallagher on http://www.northernsound.ie now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

hondasam wrote: »

That is an excellent article.
    Enough remains unanswered in it to have questions about the guy and those that were looking for examples of his lies can have a good look through that article to find them.
    Whatever about this latest controversy one can see from the timeline of events he has been less than honest about his involvement with FF.

Higgins for me, best of the seven available to us in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Andrew33 wrote: »
    It's by far the worst presidential race I've ever had the misfortune to witness!
    If Gombeen Gallagher get's into the park I want to hand in my passport (can I even do that?), I'll move abroad and pretend I've never ever heard of a place called Ireland.

I don't think that any of them are worth their own weight in horse-sh1t, and I wouldn't vote any of them onto the most insignificant committee on the planet, let alone the Irish presidency.

Back at the start, I imagined that Mary Davis was the only one not tainted by anything, but that was before the quango subject was brought up, and before I got to listen to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stonetrower

I left Ireland when I turned 16yrs old. Spent 40 years working and living all over the world. I have witnessed elections in 4 different countries and I have to say that I am disgusted with the way the media and the politicians have behaved in this Presidential election. The media all seem to be supported/backed by either FF or FG. The media are trying to tell us who to vote for by using character assassination rather than telling us the candidates policies and what they can offer the people of this great country.
    I am voting for the person who has had the most dirt thrown at them by the gutter press.
    Mc Guinness
    Norris
    Gallagher
    Dana
    Davis
    Higgins
    Mitchell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I am voting for the person who has had the most dirt thrown at them by the gutter press.
    Mc Guinness
    Norris
    Gallagher
    Dana
    Davis
    Higgins
    Mitchell

As opposed to the candidate who's handled themselves the best during debates/interviews etc?

Seems slightly odd if you ask me....

• Advertisement

.... I am disgusted with the way the media and the politicians have behaved in this Presidential election. The media all seem to be supported/backed by either FF or FG. The media are trying to tell us who to vote for by using character assassination rather than telling us the candidates policies and what they can offer the people of this great country.
    Mc Guinness

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I left Ireland when I turned 16yrs old. Spent 40 years working and living all over the world. I have witnessed elections in 4 different countries and I have to say that I am disgusted with the way the media and the politicians have behaved in this Presidential election. The media all seem to be supported/backed by either FF or FG. The media are trying to tell us who to vote for by using character assassination rather than telling us the candidates policies and what they can offer the people of this great country.
    Mc Guinness
    Norris
    Gallagher
    Dana
    Davis
    Higgins
    Mitchell
    Has it occurred to you that the reason those 4 people top the "charts" (in your opinion) is because they've in general never been scrutinised to this level before in this state?
    In fairness, some of what Higgins has to put up with , comments over his height and age for example have been as bad as anything else and have little or nothing to do with the role itself.
    McGuinness and his unwillingness to have anything to do with the queens visit this year (without saying anything else about his past) has a massive impact on my own reasoning for not voting for the guy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't get this conspiracy theory stuff of "I'm going to vote for the person the media has shown the most bad stuff about".

I know this may be crazy, but maybe the reason nothing huge has come out about MDH is that he hasn't done anything wrong? Maybe it's not that the media are pushing their own agenda, but rather that he has no dirt to throw at him?

No, it's obvious the media, for some reason, are out to get some candidates and we should vote for them because there's been the most negative material on them!

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know this may be crazy, but maybe the reason nothing huge has come out about MDH is that he hasn't done anything wrong? Maybe it's not that the media are pushing their own agenda, but rather that he has no dirt to throw at him?
    The only agenda the media are pushing is the headlines one. You take the most polarising candidates and you make them even more polarising, and you get the best headlines. They don't care who gets in so long as they can sell their stories.

McGuinness - Terrorist, IRA apologist/member, possible murderer
    Norris - Homosexual academic, with a "West Brit" accent.
    Gallagher - Young unknown non-politician celebrity
    Dana - Known anti-EU rabid Catholic looney

Davis - Suburban housewife-like relative unknown. Inoffensive
    Higgins - Looks like your grandad. About 200 years old. Inoffensive
    Mitchell - Looks like your Dad. About as embarrassing. Largely inoffensive despite ridiculously catholic agenda.

The actual underlying agendas come from various groups who don't like the noisest candidates.

McGuinness is being smeared by the anti-SF brigade.
    Norris is being smeared by the fundamentalist homophobic Christian right
    Gallagher is being smeared by the anti-FF brigade.
    Dana is smearing herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

seamus wrote: »

Youve just ruined my breakfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

The only agenda the media are pushing is the headlines one. You take the most polarising candidates and you make them even more polarising, and you get the best headlines. They don't care who gets in so long as they can sell their stories.

McGuinness - Terrorist, IRA apologist/member, possible murderer
    Norris - Homosexual academic, with a "West Brit" accent.
    Gallagher - Young unknown non-politician celebrity
    Dana - Known anti-EU rabid Catholic looney

Davis - Suburban housewife-like relative unknown. Inoffensive
    Higgins - Looks like your grandad. About 200 years old. Inoffensive
    Mitchell - Looks like your Dad. About as embarrassing. Largely inoffensive despite ridiculously catholic agenda.

The actual underlying agendas come from various groups who don't like the noisest candidates.

McGuinness is being smeared by the anti-SF brigade.
    Norris is being smeared by the fundamentalist homophobic Christian right
    Gallagher is being smeared by the anti-FF brigade.

No one was smearing him till monday night. he has questions to answer but he wont answer them at this stage he is smearing himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

With Chocolate I'd say.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Gallagher completely tanked himself monday, it was comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

retalivity wrote: »

You should get up earlier :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Do these in reverse order, might prove easier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement