Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

colm_gti wrote: »
    I've recently noticed a lot of people have a 'Team: ' link under their profile picture....had a look around the settings etc. and can't find such an option. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Explore -> Clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

rp wrote: »
    Explore -> Clubs

Already connected with my club, just wondering how I get it under my profile pic like everyone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

colm_gti wrote: »
    Already connected with my club, just wondering how I get it under my profile pic like everyone else...

It depends on whether your club has chosen to describe themselves as a "Cycling club" or a "Racing Team" in their description on Strava. If it's the latter, then all members get that groovy team name thing on their profile.

If we want it for the Boards.ie club, then whoever created the club needs to go onto "Edit Details" and choose Racing Team from the drop-down menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I used to go out on me bike and enjoy my spins, might take it easy or might push myself a bit here and there only if i was in the mood though.

Now i'm using Strava for the past 3 odd weeks and it's turned me into a KOM chasing maniac ! Now i'm constantly riding along thinking oh there's a segment here i'll give it a bit of a push to try and get on a leader board.

Speaking of leaderboards i've done a ride today but i'm not showing up on the leader boards, i should have got a 4th and a 3rd place on 2 leaderboards but i'm not showing up :mad: Hoping i'll check back in a few hrs and i'll be there. Has this happened to anyone else ? And no the ride isn't private.

On a side note though, i haven't enjoyed the bike this much in years, Strava is still a bastard but a lovable one at that !

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Zorba wrote: »
    Speaking of leaderboards i've done a ride today but i'm not showing up on the leader boards, i should have got a 4th and a 3rd place on 2 leaderboards but i'm not showing up :mad: Hoping i'll check back in a few hrs and i'll be there. Has this happened to anyone else ? And no the ride isn't private.!

Are the segments, close to home or work (somewhere you've a privacy zone set up)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

On a side note though, i haven't enjoyed the bike this much in years, Strava is still a bastard but a lovable one at that !
    Haha! More fun from cycling is... more fun. Enjoy it ;).

Regarding your query - put it up on the Strava board, you should get a quick response.

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Are the segments, close to home or work (somewhere you've a privacy zone set up)?

One is close to a privacy zone but the other isn't.
    Seweryn wrote: »
    Regarding your query - put it up on the Strava board, you should get a quick response.

As in Strava customer support ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

As in Strava customer support ?
    Yes.

Your GPS could have lost signal and be out of its course by a tiny bit and your track might not match the segment.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Yes.

Your GPS could have lost signal and be out of its course by a tiny bit and your track might not match the segment.

Got it sorted.

I originally had the ride marked as private then i made it public but still i wasn't on the leaderboards. So i made it private again, saved it, then made it public again and there i am on the leaderboards, guess Strava just got a bit confused, the bastard !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I just started cycling to work this year, I started using strava this week. I have no idea what your koms or privacy zones or anything is about but it's a great lilttle app isn't it. It's depressing looking a the speeds of the boardsies. I'm so slow.

My second trip was the best, "YES I got a trophy...second place!"... against myself...I had literally just gone slower than my only other ride and was celebrating haha. I was actually 69/71 on the segment :pac:

I use my phone, hope it's accurate enough, seems to do the job fine though.
    Why does a segment 'too hazardous" to count keep popping up, why is it even being mentioned. It just says it's a category 4.
    Where are segments, who decides on them? I just get marked on two into work and one on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I just started cycling to work this year, I started using strava this week. I have no idea what your koms or privacy zones or anything is about
    Privacy zones can be setup for your house, and work for example. If your activity starts or ends within a 500m-1km radius of the address, the start and/or end of the activity will be hidden from other users.

"kom" stands for "King Of the Mountains". To get a kom, you ride a segment in the quickest time.
    Why does a segment 'too hazardous" to count keep popping up, why is it even being mentioned. It just says it's a category 4.
    Where are segments, who decides on them? I just get marked on two into work and one on the way home.
    The segment has been marked as hazardous by another user. Does it run through a roundabout or a set of lights? If so, it is to stop people sprinting through them.
    Category 4 is the difficulty of the climb. The difficulty ranges from U(flat) to HC(Scary territory)
    A segment is a certain length of road where you are timed against others. This is what makes Strava so appealing to other cyclists, being able to see their best efforts compared to everyone else.Segments are created by the public using the strava website. Anyone can create one :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks Brad, that's awesome. Yeah the segments are really appealing, I thought it was fun just beating myself before but now I have the fun of beating the one or two people that I can, whoever it is that can go up a hill at 47km I salute you. It's also brought my average up 7km/h in a few days (from 13, to near 20, still very slow) with something to look at and compete against, instead of just crawling home at ease. That dangerous route is down a hill and up a hill. I wouldn't like to be trying to go fast there anyway with the state of the cycling path/traffic, I just freewheel down hills anyway. Probably best it's not a segment. That's cool about people making them, might make some on my route so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I'm having a problem with the current challenge. With 7:43 hours done I'm number 407 overall but my Ireland ranking is not showing. I sent a support request, no reply yet. Anybody else with his problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

GreyEagle wrote: »
    I'm having a problem with the current challenge. With 7:43 hours done I'm number 407 overall but my Ireland ranking is not showing. I sent a support request, no reply yet. Anybody else with his problem?

It gets worse...you're down to 459th place!

At a guess I'd say something funky in your privacy settings? Unless you don't have a full surname on your account?

At a guess I'd say something funky in your privacy settings? Unless you don't have a full surname on your account?

I expected a big drop as people logged on in the evening, also the US cyclists are still out there pedalling so more slippage to come. I had no such problems with the January event, except for the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

My 60km trip up Sally Gap yesterday was recorded by my Steava phone app as 32,000 kms. This meant an average speed of over 10,000 km/h !

I used Strava to export the ride as a GPX file and then opened it up with a freeware utility called "GPX editor". The corruption was easy enough to spot (a number of return trips to the equator) and even easier to delete.

Strava's own support people can help with these issues, but it's nice to be able to fix them yourself too.

Good news, back up to 214 overall and 4 in Ireland if this gets sorted.

On the Ireland list at last. In at number 5, as they used to say on TOTP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Is there any way to make the privacy zone smaller? I just set one up and it's huge, covers most of my shorter run routes.

I think you can cut off the end of your rides?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

hardCopy wrote: »
    Is there any way to make the privacy zone smaller? I just set one up and it's huge, covers most of my shorter run routes.

Yep, you can crop your ride. Only found that out recently. So cut off the last part where you turn into your driveway/road/estate, etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sunday Times today:

8544270459_20b2c2f6d9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

What segment(s) do they refer to?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

What does the rest of headline say? "Cyclists break speed limit for mechanically-propelled vehicles"?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hardCopy wrote: »
    It might not be an option for you but you could enter a different address for the privacy zone and still come under it .i.e. move it north, south, east or west to a more optimum position.

I live on the coast but a few segments come into my privacy zone so I moved it out over the sea but my house is just inside the edge of it.

(PS - 100 metre zone would be quite adequate in an urban area IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Plastik wrote: »

The northside Quays, big bloke on a Boardman on slower days and planet x on his quicker ones is mentioned

Plastik wrote: »

Wolfe Tone Quay
    Beckett Bridge
    Pearse Street
    Merion Square West
    Dame Street
    Nassau Street to Grand Canal

Very lazy laptop journalism IMO. Lots of speculation, ignorance of the road traffic regulations and typical journalistic phrases such as "declined to comment" (i.e. "I couldn't be bothered asking").

Many of the stats are not accurate or may have been done on a motor vehicle. I suspect the Wolfe Tone Quay one wasn't done by a bike. If you view the full ride (Phoenix Park to Booterstown) he hits 70kph and averages 36kph in the city centre!

I would also be dubious about anyone managing 54kph on Beckett Bridge.

Basically a rehash of a similar "story" done recently in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Sunday Times today:

8544270459_20b2c2f6d9.jpg

FFS,are they just rehashing the article they did on London segments (debunked here: http://veloviewer.com/blog/41mph-the-evidence-against-the-sunday-times-article/ )

rp wrote: »
    What does the rest of headline say? "Cyclists break speed limit for mechanically-propelled vehicles"?
    "Cyclists break the limit for app"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Whatever about the accuracy of times recorded on short segments, the points remains that there are eejits setting up segments in the city centre.
    ...typical journalistic phrases such as "declined to comment" (i.e. "I couldn't be bothered asking").

Actually that means, they asked and the person concerned said no. "Unavailable to comment" would mean the person was not contactable.

Advertisement