Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Anyone know who 'the officepest' is?

He/she set a KOM yesterday, I beat it today by 1 second (legitimately, nice tailwind) and it has been flagged :pac:

Sent an email to Strava so I should have it back soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just absolutely hammered my previous best commute home time, took it from 20.04 down to 16.17 :D

Big ring all the way up the hill, great success.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Every single segment on my route from and to work has been marked as hazardous within the last few months. :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Every single segment on my route from and to work has been marked as hazardous within the last few months. :S

Sounds like you're taking your life in your hands every time you commute! Ya lunatic!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Huge turnover in here what with the average person only lasting three commutes. Snowing today, we lost four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I heart tailwinds :D

daragh_ wrote: »

It shows your average speed from south avenue to Drumartin was 57kmph :confused: is the wind that strong???

Zyzz wrote: »
    It shows your average speed from south avenue to Drumartin was 57kmph :confused: is the wind that strong???

Tailwind? What tailwind. :D

Some kind of Strava Glitch. All the top ten times on that segment are in the 50s.

The Kilmacud Road Lwr Segment which covers the same ground looks more accurate.

Tailwind? What tailwind. :D

Some kind of Strava Glitch. All the top ten times on that segment are in the 50s.

The Kilmacud Road Lwr Segment which covers the same ground looks more accurate.

Expert sprinting techniques** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

.......Some kind of Strava Glitch. All the top ten times on that segment are in the 50s.... .

Strava Glitch? Say it ain't so! I managed a lap of Howth at 55kph on Sunday and now you've putting a doubt in my mind :eek: (mind you the KOM hit 77 and there were quite a few in the 70+ category). Does this mean my personal best VAM of 7123m/hr along the Clontarf seafront may not be accurate either?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Swords Sat am sprint segment (only 0.6kms mind) averages 59kph and the top 25 are over 50 or there abouts.

Maybe my sprint ability has improved dramatically.

Although anyone who saw me finishing last saturday would dispute that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

RobFowl wrote: »
    The Swords Sat am sprint segment (only 0.6kms mind) averages 59kph and the top 25 are over 50 or there abouts.

Indeed. I've 48.4km/h on that and it only gets me on the 2nd page :(
    Must try harder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Indeed. I've 48.4km/h on that and it only gets me on the 2nd page :(
    Must try harder.

Joint Second here although did hold it for a while......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Your commute into work popped up on my Strava feed, stealing every KOM on the way into town.

I imagine the commute home will not be as glory filled :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RobFowl wrote: »
    the top 25 are over 50 or there abouts
    For a minute there I thought you were referring to their ages! :eek:

I'm consoling myself that I'm level pegging with Beasty on that segment although he was pumping out over 200 watts more! :confused:

CramCycle wrote: »

Your commute into work popped up on my Strava feed, stealing every KOM on the way into town.

I imagine the commute home will not be as glory filled :p

Wasn't that bad. Wind seems to be easing off.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fo
    I'm consoling myself that I'm level pegging with Beasty on that segment although he was pumping out over 200 watts more! :confused:
    That's weird as I didn't have a Powermeter that day, so Strava has estimated it presumably based on weight and HR alone - can't see how such a large difference could be estimated

I'd not noticed that segment before - I reckon I could get around 600w over that distance which should deliver 55kph without a tailwind if that slope is right...

Lol..got 4th on the segment, has to be glitched :pac:

The Kilmacud lwr is a KOM Im going after soon though :D

Beasty wrote: »
    I'd not noticed that segment before - I reckon I could get around 600w over that distance which should deliver 55kph without a tailwind if that slope is right...

Close but no cigar 666

• Advertisement

Damn..Lance eat your heart out!!

http://app.strava.com/activities/45575805

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

sorry if this has been posted before, but this guy is worth a 'follow' click http://app.strava.com/athletes/1738360

he is going for the record time cycling around Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Is this what an overdose of digital EPO looks like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I know him. He's been having problems with his GPS and erroneous readings. I think he managed Dublin to Clare last week in about an hour according to GPS/Strava.

Went KOM hunting in the Phoenix park today, came 3rd in the Ambassador's Sprint segment so when I got home I created another segment extending the sprint to the first turn (400m to 1.4km) and I now have the KOM out of 150+ people :) Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I don’t chase segments myself.
    As cyclists we always look for and expect courtesy, respect and a duty of care from other road users. For our part we owe other road users a similar duty of care.
    As a first step, I suggest that KOM segments be flagged and removed from any portion of the public road that has:
    1. Pedestrian crossing
    2. Traffic lights
    3. STOP or Yield sign
    4. Speed limit of 50kph or less

I would be interested to hear the opinion of others cyclists to this. Has anybody canvassed the views of the RSA or the Gardai on segments?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

GreyEagle wrote: »
    As a first step, I suggest that KOM segments be flagged and removed from any portion of the public road that has:
    1. Pedestrian crossing
    2. Traffic lights
    3. STOP or Yield sign
    I guess I'd agree with 1 to 3, but why 4?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think speed limits aside, Strava themselves flag most of those kinds of segments as hazardous. Their criteria include:
    • steep winding descent
    • road construction
    • stop lights
    • dangerous intersections
    • school zones
    • bridge crossings
    • pedestrian-only trails

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I don’t chase segments myself.
    As cyclists we always look for and expect courtesy, respect and a duty of care from other road users. For our part we owe other road users a similar duty of care.
    1. Pedestrian crossing
    2. Traffic lights
    3. STOP or Yield sign

I would be interested to hear the opinion of others cyclists to this. Has anybody canvassed the views of the RSA or the Gardai on segments?

My opinion is that I don't care where a segment is, just obey the ROTR. It doesn't matter if there are lights on it, just stop on red as you normally would. If they're green then by all means go for it.
    It pisses me off royally that we have people going around flagging segments like that. Seriously, can some people not survive if they aren't interfering?
    A segment existing somewhere doesn't compel people to break the rules. It's quite possible to do well on Strava segments without being an ass, even in built-up areas. Roads aren't busy all the time, and lights aren't always red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Has anybody canvassed the views of the RSA or the Gardai on segments?
    I think common sense has to supercede an Internet application, and I certainly don't think that the rsa or the Gardai should have the remit to police based on an Internet application.
    As clearly demonstrated by people leaving garmins on in the car, the accuracy of the data certainly could be contested in court so why not just police cyclists cycling dangerously on the street just like any other road user.

Advertisement