Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newtown12

i fully agree. common sense as using the road every day is needed at all times . And i think most would already know this.
    asking the garda and the rsa for there views on this open up a whole other list of issues, and iam sure that it would not look good for cyclist's.
    bit of common on , that's it main how people up until now have used strava and segments ect up until now with out any real issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

GreyEagle wrote: »
    I don’t chase segments myself.
    As cyclists we always look for and expect courtesy, respect and a duty of care from other road users. For our part we owe other road users a similar duty of care.
    As a first step, I suggest that KOM segments be flagged and removed from any portion of the public road that has:
    1. Pedestrian crossing
    2. Traffic lights
    3. STOP or Yield sign
    4. Speed limit of 50kph or less

I would be interested to hear the opinion of others cyclists to this. Has anybody canvassed the views of the RSA or the Gardai on segments?

Whereas I agree that as road users we owe each other a duty of care, I wouldn't see it being necessary to effectively remove segments from Strava. There is a comprehensive existing body of legislation that governs how road users should behave. All road users are obligated to comply with these laws and I don't think any other external influences should be required.

Many KOMs, I suspect*, are wind assisted anyway and therefore may not accurately represent the relative abilities of the various cyclists involved, especially on less frequently ridden segments.

What might help in reducing the temptation to break the law would be if Strava were to somehow allow for downtime due to waiting at lights etc - although the downside may be that people may game such a feature to take sneaky rests.

*ok that's my excuse for not having any - but I am on a (very few) first pages

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

can some people not survive if they aren't interfering?
    +1

...and I wonder if some of the flagging is done by those who are disappointed by their own ability on the segment in question.

It's quite possible to do well on Strava segments without being an ass, even in built-up areas. Roads aren't busy all the time, and lights aren't always red.
    Yes - it's often a case of doing a particular segment many times (e.g. on a commute) and then happening to be going through at the right time when all lights are green, you've a tailwind, light traffic, no pedestrians etc.

GreyEagle wrote: »
    I don’t chase segments myself.
    As cyclists we always look for and expect courtesy, respect and a duty of care from other road users. For our part we owe other road users a similar duty of care.
    As a first step, I suggest that KOM segments be flagged and removed from any portion of the public road that has:
    1. Pedestrian crossing
    2. Traffic lights
    3. STOP or Yield sign
    4. Speed limit of 50kph or less

I would be interested to hear the opinion of others cyclists to this. Has anybody canvassed the views of the RSA or the Gardai on segments?
    Not all segments are 500m darts through urban areas. What about the long segments- some are over 30km? It's perfectly easy to try to do well on a 30km segment and show courtesy and respect to other road users.

Removing any segment with traffic lights or yield/stop signs would spoil those popular long climbs such as Terenure to Sally Gap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's so annoying that I have no segments now on my commute, all hazardous. No way on the app to even lodge a complaint against it.

• Advertisement

It's so annoying that I have no segments now on my commute, all hazardous. No way on the app to even lodge a complaint against it.
    Can you not just re-plot them and make slight changes if necessary in case a duplication is automatically flagged?

(PS - the only segment I go through occasionally that has been flagged is the Knockmaroon descent - which could be hairy at speed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Just going out for a quick spin darling, won't be long !! :pac:
    : 68.6km @ 6.1%
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Just going out for a quick spin darling, won't be long !! :pac:
    : 68.6km @ 6.1%
    :cool:

That looks like some nice climbing. HC champs anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Zyzz wrote: »
    Went KOM hunting in the Phoenix park today, came 3rd in the Ambassador's Sprint segment so when I got home I created another segment extending the sprint to the first turn (400m to 1.4km) and I now have the KOM out of 150+ people :) Happy days!

Damn you, I created that segment!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Damn you, I created that segment!

:)

The original Ambassador's sprint? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

The original Ambassador's sprint? :D

Yep. Rode it on a few lops of the park with the club and reckoned I'd not done too bad so created a segment - still joint second on it and top few are all from that ride (I had to go a week later to try and improve!). I'll be out on Saturday on my fast bike to get KOM on both mine and yours :D

Yep. Rode it on a few lops of the park with the club and reckoned I'd not done too bad so created a segment - still joint second on it and top few are all from that ride (I had to go a week later to try and improve!). I'll be out on Saturday on my fast bike to get KOM on both mine and yours :D

DfIl2Df.jpg?1

See you there :D

(on a srs note though the segment that I created is actually a really handy sprint, suprised it wasn't already segmented)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

One of my KOM's in France is gone.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

One of my KOM's in France is gone.
    ...and according to Strava, I've created a segment in France! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

8 pages of KOMs..not even going to count the top 10s.. :pac:

See you there :D

(on a srs note though the segment that I created is actually a really handy sprint, suprised it wasn't already segmented)

Just too windy today to get the kind of speed needed :(

Just too windy today to get the kind of speed needed :(

Wuss :D I did it with a 50km/h headwind ;)

Which way is the wind blowing in the park? For/against the sprint?

Wuss :D I did it with a 50km/h headwind ;)

Which way is the wind blowing in the park? For/against the sprint?

Kinda side on - but it makes it hard getting the speed up onto the roundabout - that's my excuse!

• Advertisement

Kinda side on - but it makes it hard getting the speed up onto the roundabout - that's my excuse!

This starts at the Pope's Cross car park?

This starts at the Pope's Cross car park?

No, other way - from near the roundabout on Chesterfield Avenue to the the Papal Cross Car Park.

The extended one goes on round the corner to the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Does anyone know how to tag a route as suspicious or report one on the phone app? Broken chain today so the wife picked me up in the car. I forgot to turn strava off and needless to say got 4 KOM's on the way home!

Want to report my own ride so it ignores it.

Scratch that. I've just deleted the spin.

iregk wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to tag a route as suspicious or report one on the phone app? Broken chain today so the wife picked me up in the car. I forgot to turn strava off and needless to say got 4 KOM's on the way home!

Want to report my own ride so it ignores it.

Why not clip off the motor-assisted bit?
    http://blog.strava.com/cropping-export-explorer-3775/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Why not clip off the motor-assisted bit?
    http://blog.strava.com/cropping-export-explorer-3775/

Cool thanks. Must remember that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Does a ride have to be public to count towards the Spring Classics challenge? My commute today hasn't added to my progress for the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nightswimmer

at the risk of sounding blonde..whats a KOM?

new to strava ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

King Of the Mountains. Basically the man with the fastest time along a certain stretch. There's a QOM as well for women. The whole point of Strava is the pursuit of KOMs. All of the other information is just fluff.

at the risk of sounding blonde..whats a KOM?

new to strava ...

King of the Mountain - KOM

Queen of the mountain - QOM

Transexual - TOM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RyanAndrew

I can see a guy who has KOM's which are near me. They don't show up as KOM's on the ride he did but he does show as the Segment KOM. They're not new segmetns and weren't added after he got the KOM. They are near where he lives so it might be something to do with the privacy function kicking in, but it would seem to defeat the purpose if it shows him on the leaderboard. Can anybody explain it?

Thanks

Advertisement