Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

RyanAndrew wrote: »
    I can see a guy who has KOM's which are near me. They don't show up as KOM's on the ride he did but he does show as the Segment KOM. They're not new segmetns and weren't added after he got the KOM. They are near where he lives so it might be something to do with the privacy function kicking in, but it would seem to defeat the purpose if it shows him on the leaderboard. Can anybody explain it?

Thanks

Which KOMs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Does a ride have to be public to count towards the Spring Classics challenge? My commute today hasn't added to my progress for the challenge.

Just in case anyone else is wondering, yes a ride does have to be public in order to be counted towards the Spring Classics challenge. Stupid.

That "Uh oh you've lost your KOM" is just there to mock you and make you work harder to gain it back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Took off a KOM of an A2 cat rider, lets see if it survives the weekend (might only happen if he's away racing somewhere). Took me over a year of trying that segment to finally nail it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

yuck, horrible new format on strava now.

much less visible data, less times, can't figure out how to correct altitude :(

Edit: seems to only be for running thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Edit: seems to only be for running thankfully

I read somewhere that there are similar changes coming for cycling pages too. They just started with running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

@Ryan Sherlock - F&%K OFF!!!!

.....that is all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Jawgap wrote: »
    @Ryan Sherlock - F&%K OFF!!!!

.....that is all :)

Hahaha, he has, to Malaysia...

I was on holiday in France last year, pretty remote little town in the South-West, brought my road bike along and took it out for a spin on some local roads...it turns out there was a strava segment on one of them, and who was top of the list...none other than Mr. Sherlock :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

colm_gti wrote: »
    Hahaha, he has, to Malaysia...

I was on holiday in France last year, pretty remote little town in the South-West, brought my road bike along and took it out for a spin on some local roads...it turns out there was a strava segment on one of them, and who was top of the list...none other than Mr. Sherlock :pac:

Went on today to see how I was doing on the latest challenge only to see the leader board has been Sherlocked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

I'm currently 3rd/97 on a 5.4km long segment.

Who's ahead of me? Only Mr. & Mrs. Ryan Sherlock I'm pleased to report.

Hi Guys,

I find Strava to be a great tool, however as installed on my phone it is not 100% reliable. It is OK, but sometimes looses tracking for few seconds, which can be seen a on detailed map after uploading the file. And it crashes sometimes as well.
    Did any of you upgraded the application from a phone based to a dedicated GPS unit like Garmin? Does it work much better and gives less problems? Is the GPS signal always accurate, i.e. your track always sticks to the road you cycled on? Any other issues, like battery life, etc.?

Any comments will be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Seweryn wrote: »
    Did any of you upgraded the application from a phone based to a dedicated GPS unit like Garmin? Does it work much better and gives less problems? Is the GPS signal always accurate, i.e. your track always sticks to the road you cycled on? Any other issues, like battery life, etc.?

Much better experience with a proper GPS device:
    • Much more accurate - especially the elevation readings.
    • Per second logging. This is a must-have if segment times are to be meaningful - it's too coarse-grained otherwise.
    • Automatic pause/resume.
    • Automatic "you haven't pressed start" reminders.
    • Can record your HR and cadence too.
    • I've got over 16 hours out of one battery charge.
    That all said, some GPS units work better than others. I have the mid-range Garmin Edge 500 but some friends with the entry-level Edge 200 find the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Garmin GPS is a much better option, IMO, for the reasons you mentioned, and also to have the phone free for calls.

I use the edge 705 and find it very useful. Although its not often I use the map function (unless riding a predetermined route) I'd rather have it than not. Although you could just as easily use a garmin without mapping, and refer to your smartphone maps when required. I've gotten up to 16 hours on the battery, with the potential for longer if you tweak the right settings - supposedly. Ive never seen it go off track but files can become corrupt from time to time in which case there are sites ( like ridewithgps ) you can upload to that perform a repair - you can then just export and upload back to strava.

Keeping phone and gps separated is the way to go for regular use and for long spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Apologies for the extremely newbie questions, but

who actually comes up with the segments on Strava?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

bazermc wrote: »

Anyone registered on Strava can make a segment on any part of a cycle they've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anyone who has cycled/ran on a particular route and uploaded it, can create a segment on that route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hi Guys,

I find Strava to be a great tool, however as installed on my phone it is not 100% reliable. It is OK, but sometimes looses tracking for few seconds, which can be seen a on detailed map after uploading the file. And it crashes sometimes as well.

Any comments will be appreciated.

I upgraded to a Garmin 500, looking back a 200 would have sufficed for the use I give it.

Only once has it gone off road for me, starting out at work, it out me in the Liffey for a few seconds before I apparently walked/cycled on water to the path I took a few seconds in. This can be corrected afterwards i wanted, I just never bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Anyone who has cycled/ran on a particular route and uploaded it, can create a segment on that route.

Hence the explosion of ridiculous segments with names like "Patrick Street from Easons to Schuh".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

cantalach wrote: »
    Hence the explosion of ridiculous segments with names like "Patrick Street from Easons to Schuh".

Or a recent discovery "Little b***ard of a hill after the Jobstown Inn".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Excellent, thanks I was wondering why there was a segment called "on way home" on my route summary, when I actually just getting started

:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not me M'Lud ...

...Honest:)

well OK, maybe the odd one - often quite steep mind although I shall refrain from stating in which direction ....

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Excellent, thanks I was wondering why there was a segment called "on way home" on my route summary, when I actually just getting started

:D

It's a good way to get a few KOMs under your belt - "home to work" on a route that no-one else could possibly replicate - not that I would ever condone such behaviour...

cantalach wrote: »
    Much better experience with a proper GPS device:
    • Much more accurate - especially the elevation readings.
    • Per second logging. This is a must-have if segment times are to be meaningful - it's too coarse-grained otherwise.
    • Automatic pause/resume.
    • Automatic "you haven't pressed start" reminders.
    • Can record your HR and cadence too.
    • I've got over 16 hours out of one battery charge.
    That all said, some GPS units work better than others. I have the mid-range Garmin Edge 500 but some friends with the entry-level Edge 200 find the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.
    Thank you, that is helpful.

Regarding of the unit itself, which one does all what you need with great accuracy, does not crash much, and is not too heavy or wobbly when attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Thank you, that is helpful.

Regarding of the unit itself, which one does all what you need with great accuracy, does not crash much, and is not too heavy or wobbly when attached?

Garmin Edge 500. Ability to faciliate Heart rate monitor and cadence sensor, great battery life, great customizability and very steady mounts included. It would also be the gps choice of the majority of pro riders.

Came joint second on a certain segment in the Phoenix Park, made another segment shortening it 200 or so meters and I have the KOM..out of ~600 people!

Aw yehhhh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Zyzz wrote: »
    Came joint second on a certain segment in the Phoenix Park, made another segment shortening it 20 or so meters and I have the KOM..out of ~600 people!

Aw yehhhh :D

Which segment?

• Advertisement

You can make segments out of someone else's ride also - can be useful if you think you've got a fast time on an unsegmented stretch. It means that when you subsequently upload your own ride you can get a PR/KOM recorded in the ride summary/e-mail alert. It's all about appearances mind - it doesn't affect anything in terms of rankings

Advertisement