Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

What a difference wind strong legs makes on getting good speeds :pac: 3 KOMs from tonights spin :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

Got a KOM through segment spam/proliferation the other day, from a ride I logged months ago.

It's 2.5km long with two sets of major crossroads with lights, and two other sets of pedestrian lights at lesser junctions, and finishes in the middle of a roundabout. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

If someone makes a segment that stops at the wrong place, can you get Strava to fix it to the right start/end point? Someone did one near my home that goes on for about 250m over the brow of the hill (or am I being pedantic? :) )

With respect, you're kinda missing the point. In a case like that, just define a new segment for what it should be. If enough people agree with you and click the 'Hide' button next to the bad segment, it will automatically appear hidden by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

cantalach wrote: »
    With respect, you're kinda missing the point. In a case like that, just define a new segment for what it should be. If enough people agree with you and click the 'Hide' button next to the bad segment, it will automatically appear hidden by default.
    Ok, will try that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Apparently I didn't finish the Orwell Randonee! According to Strava I didn't pass through the endpoint of the Segment due to GPS drift.

I definitely remember passing a big banner that said finish. Pants. It's like it never happened. I should have stayed in bed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

For anyone that has cycled to Howth..look at the KOM..62km/h average :eek:

http://app.strava.com/activities/49308763#959176410

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Zyzz wrote: »

800m only, massive tailwind and a nice car to tuck in behind, well doable on the right day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Never knew there was a segment there. I'm in the top 10 too :)
    I'll keep it in mind next time there's a tailwind.

That lad is an absolute beast, near 40 seconds on second place :eek:

http://app.strava.com/activities/49308763#868400935

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

That lad is an absolute beast, near 40 seconds on second place :eek:

http://app.strava.com/activities/49308763#868400935

That day was the windiest in the last 12 months, with sustained high winds and gusting over 60kph. I'm going to guess he wasn't cycling into it.
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

71bpm?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

71bpm?
    Prob had Joe Duffy on the car radio

That day was the windiest in the last 12 months, with sustained high winds and gusting over 60kph. I'm going to guess he wasn't cycling into it.
    :pac:

Oh :pac:
    rp wrote: »
    Prob had Joe Duffy on the car radio

Good afternoon to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

71bpm?

He wasn't even wearing his hrm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Never knew there was a segment there. I'm in the top 10 too :)
    I'll keep it in mind next time there's a tailwind.

yaay! me too! ; mind you, it was a hell of a windy day and I wouldn't fancy going much faster along there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Why is this a segment: it's too short and has two traffic lights in the space of 30 metres and ends pretty much on a third. AHHHHHhh

http://app.strava.com/activities/53331776#964492038

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RyanAndrew

I know you don't want to be doing it for every segment but you can flag it as "hazardous" - too bad there's not an "imbecelic" option.

Of course , some people may relish the 300 metre sprint - finishing practise perhaps - but given the start point around the corner it does seem a bit unneccesary.

My own PR on it is 1.02 vs KOM of 21 secs. I must have got stopped at the first &/or second set of lights- and stopped which would be unusual so traffic must have been heavy.

"Flag this segment as hazardous: city quay sprint

Flagging this segment as hazardous will automatically and immediately remove the comparative rankings of this segment's results. You will still be able to see your own personal results on this segment. You may only flag this segment as hazardous if you have recorded an effort on it.
    Reason (required)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

CramCycle wrote: »
    Why is this a segment: it's too short and has two traffic lights in the space of 30 metres and ends pretty much on a third. AHHHHHhh

http://app.strava.com/activities/53331776#964492038

I'll see that and raise you the 100m downhill segment someone has created in the Phoenix Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Maybe what Strava need is a system of trusted users to tidy up local segments.

I suppose when its free you can't complain.

It would easily be solved by only letting people create segments on categorised climbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

It would easily be solved by only letting people create segments on categorised climbs.

disagree segement can be interesting on long stretch of road that isnt uphill

manafana wrote: »
    disagree segement can be interesting on long stretch of road that isnt uphill

It can, but the facility to create a segment on any stretch of road is now so abused that downsides outweigh the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Have to agree with Vladimir on this, segments should be restricted to categorised climbs. On flat sections there are too many variables which can have a significant effect on the times, riding in a group, wind direction etc. Although these also have an effect on climbs it is much less significant.

In the end though, it is a free tool which gives us all a bit more information which we can use or simply give us something to talk about. It is a great way to compare yourself against others (wow I did great to get 16 minutes on that climb...Oh wait Sherlock does it in 8!). For some it is all about climbs, for others it is simply about teir commute home. If it makes someone more interested in cycling running then so be it.

I did a small bit of running last year and it was great to get such feedback about splits, 1k times etc.

Maybe there should be an option within the premium section to choose which segments on particular routes you want. i.e., no segments less than 1k, or much be over a certain height gain. That would certainly push premium into the level of useful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This or a minimum length, too many short segments that aren't accurate due to GPS technology over a short distance. I don't mind the flats, or getting to look at long commutes or races to compare against but they need to be longer than at least 500m. Even a minimum of 1km would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I'll see that and raise you the 100m downhill segment someone has created in the Phoenix Park

Which one - not that I will be going for it or anything - just curious mind you.

I agree that the use creation of segments is getting too be ludicrous, but it is pretty extreme to suggest not being able to create them or non-climbs.

I think that mods are the way to go or failing that, no downhill or flat segments in urban areas.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Which one - not that I will be going for it or anything - just curious mind you.

I agree that the use creation of segments is getting too be ludicrous, but it is pretty extreme to suggest not being able to create them or non-climbs.

I think that mods are the way to go or failing that, no downhill or flat segments in urban areas.

here you go: http://app.strava.com/segments/2245277

Local super users who can delete junk segments are probably the way to go. While I reckon it's easy enough to block creation of downhill segments, identifying urban areas may be tricky to write into it.

Alternatively, you could have a name and shame system. The person who created the segment has their full name listed on the segment page.

That segment is nuts.
    I take that road home from work regularly - never knew.
    It seems a bit mad for a segment - I mean the tris that run in the park dont have the finish line there so it is hardly a sprint segment.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Local super users who can delete junk segments are probably the way to go. While I reckon it's easy enough to block creation of downhill segments, identifying urban areas may be tricky to write into it.
    I really don't think they will go there for legal reasons - I think it's too much hassle for Strava - say the "super users" leave something up that's subsequently found to be dangerous - even if Strava can defend their position they would not want to risk being taken to court potentially in any country in the world to do so
    Alternatively, you could have a name and shame system. The person who created the segment has their full name listed on the segment page.
    This however may have merits - if enough people complain about a particular user, maybe they could get all their created segments deleted and "creation" rights removed

Beasty wrote: »
    I really don't think they will go there for legal reasons - I think it's too much hassle for Strava - say the "super users" leave something up that's subsequently found to be dangerous - even if Strava can defend their position they would not want to risk being taken to court potentially in any country in the world to do so

You mean like Boards.ie appointing some users as mods. ;)

• Advertisement

A few more ways of dealing with nutty segments would be to:
    (i) Only let premium users create segments,
    (ii) Segments once created must go thru an application process - Strava sends a message to other geographically defined users asking for a vote sensible segment or not,
    (ii) then proceed

Obviously this only really works in urban areas, but the creation of stupid segments is not so much of an issue in rural areas,

Advertisement