Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

RyanAndrew wrote: »
    I know you don't want to be doing it for every segment but you can flag it as "hazardous" - too bad there's not an "imbecelic" option.

But it isn't hazardous. It's actually one of the safest places in the city centre to get a bit of speed going. Whoever created it has as much right to use that site as anyone else, so why not just leave them be? You can always hide it from your own feed..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

But it isn't hazardous. It's actually one of the safest places in the city centre to get a bit of speed going. Whoever created it has as much right to use that site as anyone else, so why not just leave them be? You can always hide it from your own feed..

Actually, if Cram is right about the traffic lights, it falls into Strava's own definition of what's a hazardous segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I'm not that pushed one way or another*. Perhaps some minimum distance or elevation gained might be the way to go. Although I'm sure it would be possible to construct some quite daft urban segments no matter what the distance limit was. How many junctions/traffic lights can you fit in say 2km?

I'd like to say I ignore the short ones but my one and only KOM is on a 1k sprint ; regrettably it's not even the fastest time! I don't expect it to last that long as the wind is now back to its normal westerly direction.

Is there a permanent way of disregarding them on Strava?

*may not actually be true - see second para and previous post.[/I]

Actually, if Cram is right about the traffic lights, it falls into Strava's own definition of what's a hazardous segment.

There's a pedestrian crossing on the bend, but that's it. I've yet to see a red light there, and it's on my commute. There isn't a lot of pedestrian traffic there most times.
    And the presence of a light doesn't automatically make it hazardous by Strava's definition. In the real world it isn't either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't agree with cat climbs, down the sticks here we've a couple of good flat hard shoulders 10km long or so stretches you could do uninterrupted by cars, the KOMs are 40kph+, so they're still very challenging.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

It would easily be solved by only letting people create segments on categorised climbs.

If Strava were to bring in such a "feature" I'd be buying shares in whatever rival came along to copy what's in place at the moment. It would be commercial suicide for them to alienate all but the climbers among us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I don't agree with cat climbs, down the sticks here we've a couple of good flat hard shoulders 10km long or so stretches you could do uninterrupted by cars, the KOMs are 40kph+, so they're still very challenging.

Perhaps another system for flat stretches ( TT rather than KOM ? ) with minimum lengths and hills under a certain elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Maybe I wasn't paying attention before, but just went into Strava and it seems that by hiding a segment it then gets hidden from all previous rides and I guess future rides. Up till now I assumed it just hid it from that time you are viewing the ride.

Am I right in that? If so, then I don't really see what the problem is with whatever new segments are created. Simply hide them when you upload the ride.

I did that on the PC, I don't think that possibility exists on smartphone etc so maybe thats the problem!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Maybe I wasn't paying attention before, but just went into Strava and it seems that by hiding a segment it then gets hidden from all previous rides and I guess future rides. Up till now I assumed it just hid it from that time you are viewing the ride.

Aye, that's correct. But it's gotten to the stage now that it's even a pain in the arse to hide so many segments. For example, I did city centre to the top of Howth and back recently and found I had around 49 different segments on the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    Why is this a segment: it's too short and has two traffic lights in the space of 30 metres and ends pretty much on a third. AHHHHHhh

http://app.strava.com/activities/53331776#964492038
    We're on the same time there! ;)
    But it isn't hazardous. It's actually one of the safest places in the city centre to get a bit of speed going.
    It can be hairly enough when lane changing - especially with dodgy taxi drivers.I was nearly 'taken out' there a few weeks ago.
    There's a pedestrian crossing on the bend, but that's it. I've yet to see a red light there
    I've been caught with it a couple of times - usually when seem to be doing well. I found myself silently screaming "don't touch that fcuking button" to the pedestrians in question as I cross the bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I don't see the problem with flat or short segments, unless they're dangerous. I don't get up the mountains these days so my commute is my only cycling / training. Since starting to use Strava, I've improved my speed and ability to maintain an effort over a few KMs. Before this, I was "just cycling." To me, it's an invaluable resource for giving myself targets and if it was restricted to mountains, then I'd lose a great resource.

If you don't like having loads of segments on your cycles, can you not just ignore them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

It would easily be solved by only letting people create segments on categorised climbs.

I would disagree strongly with this suggestion Vlad! I have created a number of longer segments on routes that I train on regularly, each of which include climbs, flats and descents! Typically these segments are in excess of 20 minutes in duration. I find them really helpful as a guide to how my training is going and how fitness is progressing!
    I think the idea of a "trusted local user" who would have the ability to delete segments that he/she considered to be dangerous or frivolous would be a sensible one however.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A simple "ignore segment" button beside each segment in the list would solve all of the problems IMO. If a stupid looking segment appears in the list, you hit ignore and you'll never see it again.

Behind the scenes then you can incorporate logic which automatically deletes/privatises a segment if a lot of people are ignoring it.

I get the feeling that Strava is somewhat the victim of its own success; a huge list of possible enhancement and only a couple of people working on the site.

It can be hairly enough when lane changing - especially with dodgy taxi drivers.I was nearly 'taken out' there a few weeks ago.

I've been caught with it a couple of times - usually when seem to be doing well. I found myself silently screaming "don't touch that fcuking button" to the pedestrians in question as I cross the bridge.

You'll always have dodgy taxi drivers. It's just the way things are, and if they have a little time on their hands pedestrians will wait until they see you coming so they can press that button :)
    It's safe from the point of view that there are no junctions* where you have traffic entering and exiting, no parked cars, a clear view, very little in the way of pedestrian traffic and the surface is reasonably good. Also, if you get a bit of speed up on the bridge you'll leave cars for dead and have a clear road 'till you turn off, which sorts out the lane-changing issues.
    It's one of my favourite spots in town. I didn't create the segment, but I understand whoever did.

On the lane-changing issue, I find the following works for me:
    Take and keep the left lane as it's by far the quickest coming off the bridge. Don't move into the kerb or you'll be pinned in by traffic.
    Holding the lane, wait for a gap to appear on the right. Signal and move in.
    If a gap doesn't appear on the right, keep the left lane but move towards the right as you approach the right turn for Lombard St. Filter to the left of turning traffic once you're sure none of them are going to have a change of heart and head straight on.

* I know there's a lane on the right, but it doesn't come into play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There's a pedestrian crossing on the bend, but that's it. I've yet to see a red light there, and it's on my commute. There isn't a lot of pedestrian traffic there most times.
    And the presence of a light doesn't automatically make it hazardous by Strava's definition. In the real world it isn't either.
    Apologies, for some reason I thought it started before the bridge started. Still the pedestrian light on the left turn (which technically the bike lane circumnavigates but you'd have to be an a**hat to power through there since it crosses through the pedestrians stopping for the lights. It also ends right at the next lights which could encourage anyone looking to get a good time to power down to the lights even if they change. Not Stravas fault, more peoples fault.
    I don't see the problem with flat or short segments, unless they're dangerous.
    Short segments are generally inaccurate due to the nature of GPS or phone tracking data. I have often seen my times over short distances to be far faster or slower than they should be. Over 100meters you could easily have errors of 50%.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if we're strava moaning.. here is my pet peeve. here is another short segment, not in dublin now mind you:), but one of my local segments

http://app.strava.com/segments/2097459

have a look at the top 24 of the leaderboard, then at the dates, notice they're all the same? twas only the bloody Ras going through killaloe. A Ras peleton, how the hell am i supposed to top them on my own :). Take those lads out of it and i'd be doing okay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

mossym wrote: »
    if we're strava moaning.. here is my pet peeve. here is another short segment, not in dublin now mind you:), but one of my local segments

have a look at the top 24 of the leaderboard, then at the dates, notice they're all the same? twas only the bloody Ras going through killaloe. A Ras peleton, how the hell am i supposed to top them on my own :). Take those lads out of it and i'd be doing okay!!

Yeah I'm the same on a few of my regular segments the rás has passed over them :( Not that I'd be near the top but its a bit disheartening when you see your 64th out of 117! (I have set a time faster but it was a mate trying a garim before he bought one himself so I don't count that 32nd)

http://app.strava.com/segments/1294526

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Train hard, join the RAS, do said segment

Profit???

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Zyzz wrote: »

Profit???

Yeah - flat segments are killer to take once a race goes through it. (I would have to be on a TT bike to take most of the flat ones once the Ras goes through).

Climbs are a different story - not all climbs in the Ras are ridden full gas. A concerted effort on a particular climb in training would beat that riders time from the Ras for instance (assuming suitable motivation).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

The KOM king quoted my post

celebration1.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah - flat segments are killer to take once a race goes through it. (I would have to be on a TT bike to take most of the flat ones once the Ras goes through).

that segment is particularly bad. it starts just after a traffic light at the bridge, which the ras didn't have to stop for so they hit the start at speed. chances of hitting that on green without having to stop for some bit of traffic is virtually nil for the average rider.

that makes it particularly unfair as the Ras riders have an advantage to the segment others can't avail of. the only option is to go down early someday when there is no traffic, 5am-ish and go at it. that would involve breaking some road laws which is not what strava want i'm sure.

there is a familiar name on 4th on it though, which is the position i would have if the ras riders were removed:cool:

Zyzz wrote: »

Profit???

yup, i can see the interview now:

so, what made you join the ras at your age??
    well, you see, there was this Strava segment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

yup, i can see the interview now:

so, what made you join the ras at your age??
    well, you see, there was this Strava segment...
    Better yet, enter a team of strava segment chasers :)
    The team could attack on segments with the person from nearest that segment getting the glory!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Better yet, enter a team of strava segment chasers :)
    The team could attack on segments with the person from nearest that segment getting the glory!

Maybe ask the organisers to award a Jersey for the highest number of strava segments taken each day?
    Call it the King of the Freds jersey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Ha thanks for that link. I'm top of the women's leaderboard and never even knew it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

New question re. Strava please

I created my own segment few weeks ago so I can track my own progress on a particular route I cycle regularly.

Only problem is someone else has come along and taken a KOM on it, however this was from a cycle a year prior to me creating them segment - I presume previous cycle can be used against newly created segments????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

bazermc wrote: »
    New question re. Strava please

I created my own segment few weeks ago so I can track my own progress on a particular route I cycle regularly.

Only problem is someone else has come along and taken a KOM on it, however this was from a cycle a year prior to me creating them segment - I presume previous cycle can be used against newly created segments????

When you create a segment, Strava will go back through all previous cycles and build the leaderboard. Or else the other person only recently uploaded this old ride.

If you want a segment purely to mark your progress, then make it private.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

@bazermc - You should have created the segment as private - that way only your results will show up.

Since I can't see how to mark an already created segment as private (maybe someone else can point that out) you can still limit the results to your results only by selecting that option on the segment page.

the reason why a new KOM has arrived is based one of two things. Either the person only uploaded the file after you created the segment (unlikely but possible) or more likely once you create a segment in Strava it goes back over all the rides in the database to pull out any rides which covered that segment and adds them to the board. This can take some time and may only populate after a while.

Buffalo got in before me - damn you work!!!!! Do they not know t'internet does not wait?

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Ha thanks for that link. I'm top of the women's leaderboard and never even knew it :)

would appear you have that top female spot on a lot of the local rides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazermc wrote: »
    however this was from a cycle a year prior to me creating them segment
    I've seen them go back to 2008. If you can't make it private after creating it you could create an almost similar segment (crop a piece off it) and mark it private.

Regardless - If you're only interested in your own performance, it's irrelevant what speeds other do. Just monitor your own.

Advertisement