Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I lost one, got the email, found it was a 400 odd km ramble on and off bike. Although the segment I lost on I'm prepared to give the benefit of the doubt to, the 100kmph motorway stints and the fact that the guy isn't prepared to split his cycle and car journeys makes me feel better about reporting the ride.
    I think I'll categorise it as "iPhone numpty" as opposed to car.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

nilhg wrote: »
    That does seem to be where it's going, personally I think it won't be too long till we start seeing cycling GPS devices based on android with a built in GSM sim, look at where the camera industry seem to be heading.

Maybe there will be a Garmin 520 "strava live" edition coming soon.

I find Strava fantastic for tracking my training progress, but I have to say I'm not a fan of either segment hunting during spins or this real-time "how am I doing" / "publish how I'm doing" thing. I'm hearing of formerly friendly traning spins being morphed into mini-races and people moving away from group teamwork towards chasing times on segments. Haven't experienced that first hand, so maybe I'm creating a fuss about nothing, but I do fear things are starting to head in a direction that will threaten one of the great things about cycling - getting away from the always-on world.

To my mind the reasons to go on a cycle (besides simply getting from A to B) are a one of
    - social, scenic, get some exercise, do a sportive
    - focused training, hills, intervals, etc.
    - racing

Each one has it's own dynamic. But it seems like the first one is being jeoparised by the Stravafication of cycling. No problem with people chasing segments when out on their own, but on a group spin would much prefer to see people forgetting about their Garmins, and just enjoying the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

I just discovered by accident that I lost a KOM a few days ago but didn't get the usual email or Strava notification. Is this normal?

Somebody mentioned last week that those emails are not sent out for segments that are downhill (possibly also flat), so that Strava can't be said to be encouraging people to take descents at top speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Ah sure just wait til all de boy racers start using it around the city streets...

there'll be grannies bouncin' off Civic bonnets all over de gaff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

buffalo wrote: »
    Somebody mentioned last week that those emails are not sent out for segments that are downhill (possibly also flat), so that Strava can't be said to be encouraging people to take descents at top speed.

That would explain it. Thought it might have been a bug, or maybe that notifications weren't sent if the KOM-taker was a "request to follow" jobbie.

• Advertisement

Is the site mega-slow tonight, or is that just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Is the site mega-slow tonight, or is that just me?

Not just you. The site has become very unreliable of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Not just you. The site has become very unreliable of late.

+1. All over the shop recently. I believe they've cut the old API loose and are testing a new one in private. I expect it will be unreliable for some time while they flute around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

They're currently doing maintenance, will be for a couple of hours I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Veloviewer seems to be the same lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

+1. All over the shop recently. I believe they've cut the old API loose and are testing a new one in private. I expect it will be unreliable for some time while they flute around with it.

upload a run or look at the run page for a preview of the disaster thats coming

upload a run or look at the run page for a preview of the disaster thats coming

I quite like it personally. I always preferred the interface of the running side of strava.

They're currently doing maintenance, will be for a couple of hours I think.

The notice says 10pm PDT, which is in another seven hours. Pre-maintenance maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I quite like it personally. I always preferred the interface of the running side of strava.

it's the major loss of functionality rather than the visual look of it that's the problem.

The notices says 10pm PDT, which is in another seven hours. Pre-maintenance maintenance?

Yeah, it's called mainteninception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Not knowing I made it level with Sir Ryan Sherlock on one 3 minute stretch nearly killed me last night with the slow down.......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Have you tried Digital EPO?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Why would someone put the downhill from Sallygap down to the bridge as hazardous? It's an awesome very fast bit of descent..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Why would someone put the downhill from Sallygap down to the bridge as hazardous? It's an awesome very fast bit of descent..

Agreed, I hit 80km/h going down that stretch :pac:

Zyzz wrote: »
    Agreed, I hit 80km/h going down that stretch :pac:

Ah balls....tis my favourite downhill after wicklow gap.
    Excuse my ignorance does this mean we don't get to see the top 10 anymore?

• Advertisement

Ah balls....tis my favourite downhill after wicklow gap.
    Excuse my ignorance does this mean we don't get to see the top 10 anymore?

The segment is still there but there is no leaderboard at all. :(

The segment is still there but there is no leaderboard at all. :(

Round of applause to the tossers who reported that.
    I'm very conscious I've stated a topic on road rage to cyclists recently but I'll decide if I take my chances on a downhill.

https://www.strava.com/activities/58671906

My credentials on said spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I saw this yesterday as a good response to those who are over-zealous about flagging segments: http://app.strava.com/activities/68497034#1321664392

It has been flagged though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Is there any way that we can report it and unflag it?

penguin88 wrote: »
    I saw this yesterday as a good response to those who are over-zealous about flagging segments: http://app.strava.com/activities/68497034#1321664392

It has been flagged though...

What am I looking at here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Name of the segment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

I know one of my favourite local descents had been flagged (not going to name it in case someone feels inclined to do it again!) but shortly afterwards it disappeared and a new segment appeared in its place with a different name .... sorted!! I'm guessing the original maker of the flagged segment deleted it and made a new one?

Don't think it's possible. Easiest thing to do is probably is to create a new segment that covers the same ground as the old one (and if enough people click hide on the old flagged one it will start appearing under hidden segments), then just hope no one flags it again.

• Advertisement

Sorry, meant to link the segment page directly:

http://app.strava.com/segments/3942208

Advertisement