Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Zyzz wrote: »
    The leaderboards dont seem to work when I create a segment anymore :/ I know for a fact a few hundred people have cycled the same segment but most of the time its only me on the leaderboard :"|

it can take quite a while for a segment to become populated after creating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

it can take quite a while for a segment to become populated after creating it.
    If it's the one I think it is, there's 36 people on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

If it's the one I think it is, there's 36 people on it now.

Not my one anyways :( I created a segment earlier and Im not even on the leader board.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Not my one anyways :( I created a segment earlier and Im not even on the leader board.. :pac:

I created one the other day and 133 people were listed on it. I wasn't one of them despite creating it from my own file. Deleted and re-created and now I'm the only one on it.
    Strangeness going on.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

From Strava support site;
    New segments not matching previously recorded activities (missing older leaderboard entries)

Travis Robison
    posted this on Sep 09 10:15 am

We are currently experiencing some problems with the database that matches new segments to all previously uploaded activities. So newly created segments will only match activities recorded after the segment has been created.

We're working on the issue and hope to have it fixed by tomorrow. After it's fixed, the process of matching all previously recorded activities to new segments may take another few days to complete.

We appreciate your patience!

UPDATE:

Unfortunately we're still having problems with the database responsible for matching new segments to existing activities so resolving this issue will take longer than initially anticipated. It appears that full resolution won't come until some time next week. We'll update this page as we learn more.

We apologize again for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

.....now I'm the only one on it.

Strangeness going on.
    KOM - yeah baby!:D
    fyp:D

Some busybody has flagged one of the climbs in Howth as hazardous! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

look for the person who has just been ousted as KOM and there's your busybody!

Random question. I've seen this happen before but last night I went out with a few lads. I was using the Garmin 500, others were using the 510, some on the iphone etc. The total elevation varies greatly between all the devices. I've noticed this before a few times but never passed any remarks but last night was the most obvious. the 510 had about an extra 50% on my 500. Whats the reason for this does anyone know

The 510 is newer and more expensive so it has to make you look better by overstating the amount of climbing you've done!

I've found significant variations on the same commuting route - from 50m climbed to 250m climbed. I think it may be related to wind - I climb more in windy conditions. That got me to thinking that there may be some sort of venturi effect going on as the air passed over the garmin thereby locally reducing pressure and making it think I was climbing. That or it's not a particularly brilliant pressure sensor in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I cycled out of eastpoint yesterday, up the coast road, around Howth hill and back down. My 500 recorded a min elevation of -5m. At no point in that entire spin are you below sea level.

• Advertisement

Which one? There are no hazardous ones in Howth :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I cycled out of eastpoint yesterday, up the coast road, around Howth hill and back down. My 500 recorded a min elevation of -5m. At no point in that entire spin are you below sea level.
    Given how close to sea level the coast road is along there I'd say this wasn't that inaccurate!? I've heard far worse stories (and experienced worse myself!). On long cycles in the rain I've seen my Garmin go off by well over 100m!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Yeap, my garmin was all over the place this morning as well. I was passing by Rathfarnham and it was displaying -51m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I'm planning on doing this cycle:

http://www.croi.ie/events/john-behan-hell-west-coast-cycle-challenge

I mapped the main part of the route on Strava if anyone is interested:

http://www.strava.com/routes/21845

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

g0g wrote: »
    Given how close to sea level the coast road is along there I'd say this wasn't that inaccurate!? I've heard far worse stories (and experienced worse myself!). On long cycles in the rain I've seen my Garmin go off by well over 100m!

Apparently on the same spin my cadence peaked at 209 but that was on a 9% gradient section :)

Which one? There are no hazardous ones in Howth :confused:
    Sutton Cross to Howth Golf Club. I can't see what's hazardous about it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sutton Cross to Howth Golf Club. I can't see what's hazardous about it. :rolleyes:

There is a set of traffic lights during that segment, hardly hazardous I agree but based on other segments being flagged it makes sense.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    There is a set of traffic lights during that segment, hardly hazardous I agree but based on other segments being flagged it makes sense.
    Hardly a busy 4 way junction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Hardly a busy 4 way junction though.

Agree, but it seems many people think that any outside interference in a segment should be flagged. I'm only guessing that's what it is, can't see what else there could possibly be

Guill wrote: »
    The minimum €200 entry fee is a very steep and will deter many who would otherwise be interested. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It passes 2 schools and has a set of lights on it. Placing a strava segment there forces all cyclists to proceed past these hazards at maximum speed no matter what, so the flagger is just saving everyone from the inevitable collisions.

Another way of looking at it is that there are some awfully stupid people going around flagging segments for the safety of all.

Low tide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

The minimum €200 entry fee is a very steep and will deter many who would otherwise be interested. :confused:

You collect it through sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Currently 410 members.

Who'll be the one to ruin it?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Crazy wind out there, anyone bagging KOM's should have their KOMs stripped like Lance! #WINDDOPING :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Crazy wind out there, anyone bagging KOM's should have their KOMs stripped like Lance! #WINDDOPING :)

I had to pedal hard to go down hill in my middle ring, if I don't get a couple of KOMs on the return journey tonight I will be disgusted.

Couldn't for the life of me find the bloody tailwind even though I checked it before I went out! :(

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Currently 410 members.

Who'll be the one to ruin it?
    Well spotted. :)

It should be closed now to new members!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Well, the so and so e-mails have started flying in about my KOMs being stolen, time to decide will I take the long way home tonight to try and get them back or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well, the so and so e-mails have started flying in about my KOMs being stolen, time to decide will I take the long way home tonight to try and get them back or not.

Honour dictates that you shouldn't stop cycling till you do. Tell work that you could be late tomorrow :pac:

Advertisement