Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Are you first on the list?

No..we have the exact same speed and time..I even have a higher power output but still no KOM lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Zyzz wrote: »
    Does anyone know why if you have a joint KOM it doesn't show up on your list?

Noticed I have 1 or 2 KOMs that are joint with another person but dont show up :/

Happened to me, it used to be who got their first. You just have to beat it next time, there is only 1st place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

No.1 in the club's table last week.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

CptMackey wrote: »
    Honour dictates that you shouldn't stop cycling till you do. Tell work that you could be late tomorrow :pac:

Done and done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Anyone have issues with using a Garmin 500 with auto-pause switched on for segments? It auto paused during a segment last night and i'm not sure if it messed with the time i.e. made my time too fast. From google and Strava FAQ (https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21463027-What-to-do-about-auto-paused-data-) they say that the auto pause won't matter because it takes time stamps of GPS at start and end points. I targeted a segment in Howth last night but it auto-paused for 2-3 seconds when I stood and leaned over it sprinting like the Garmin thinks its out of satellite (I'll have auto pause turned off from now on). I contacted Strava and asked them to look at the segment, its just the ave speed looks a bit 'flatter', maybe this is due to them linking two data points together.

Anyway, to sum up, if you do a segment but your garmin has auto paused during it but restarted before you finish the segment, is your strava time for that segment legit?
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

Actually, when I look at the segment from the ride, its only about 530m long, but my second effort at the segment distances is about 555m. Both are on the same ride below

Ride is here: http://app.strava.com/activities/84546823#1734881465 segment is Carrickbrack - Shielmartin

I did push harder in the first one and had a higher HR so felt i was faster but don't think it was by as much as 8 seconds.

This ever happen to anyone else or is it normal for segment lengths to vary slightly between riders/devices?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Anyway, to sum up, if you do a segment but your garmin has auto paused during it but restarted before you finish the segment, is your strava time for that segment legit?
    Thanks!

did you KOM? if so, it's legit, as long as it's not one of mine :)

if not, who cares? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Just found the club on strava. Have added to it. Currently 26th!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Anyone have issues with using a Garmin 500 with auto-pause switched on for segments? It auto paused during a segment last night and i'm not sure if it messed with the time i.e. made my time too fast. From google and Strava FAQ (https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21463027-What-to-do-about-auto-paused-data-) they say that the auto pause won't matter because it takes time stamps of GPS at start and end points. I targeted a segment in Howth last night but it auto-paused for 2-3 seconds when I stood and leaned over it sprinting like the Garmin thinks its out of satellite (I'll have auto pause turned off from now on). I contacted Strava and asked them to look at the segment, its just the ave speed looks a bit 'flatter', maybe this is due to them linking two data points together.

Thanks!

Don't worry about it, it's the time stamp that matters.
    You will always get variations in the distance because of the way Strava records your segment. Strava will use the gps readings you record that are closest to both the start and end points, these might be before or after the 'official' segment points but that is just your luck. You can see however that on short segments those riders running some smart phone apps or older gps systems can have quite an advantage as the time gap between readings can be as large as 12 seconds as opposed to the Edge 500 taking readings usually every 1 second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Just joined the group there.

Does anyone know how to get the files off your phone that won't upload? I've tried Strava support but they never respond. Basically I've had 3 rides now overt he last 6 months that won't upload, the latest being on Sunday. I've been using a cheap HTC phone for Strava but I'm getting a Garmin on Thursday.

When I go into the Strava Cache folder on Android I can see files for the day named as below:

cache_vts_com.strava.2
    cache_vts_com.strava.3
    cache_vts_com.strava.m
    cache_vts_labl_com.strava.2
    cache_vts_labl_com.strava.m

Is there anyway of using these files to make them compatible with Strava, like .tcx, .fit or .gpx

Any help would really be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Actually, when I look at the segment from the ride, its only about 530m long, but my second effort at the segment distances is about 555m. Both are on the same ride below

I think it was CramCycle who pointed out earlier in the thread that GPS isn't going to give you accurate timings on segments of only a few hundred metres in length.

4 KOM's today..if only they meant something :pac:

4 KOM's today..if only they meant something :pac:

:pac: i did notice all those crowns! KOMs always mean something :pac:

:pac: i did notice all those crowns! KOMs always mean something :pac:

Someone took the Nutley lane one off me this morning, got it back in the afternoon..most shortlived KOM of the year :D (no need to go after that one, ya can stick to Howth :pac:)

Wer those pics I sent ya somewhat ok btw?

Someone took the Nutley lane one off me this morning, got it back in the afternoon..most shortlived KOM of the year :D (no need to go after that one, ya can stick to Howth :pac:)

Wer those pics I sent ya somewhat ok btw?

Pics are class, two of them look perfect for what I had in mind, legend work!

Pics are class, two of them look perfect for what I had in mind, legend work!

Good stuff, if ya need anything else dont hesitate to hit me up! :)

Someone took the Nutley lane one off me this morning, got it back in the afternoon.
    I'll be back for it next week as I am away at the minute, enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Came across this segment earlier: http://www.strava.com/segments/3126859

Entitled, "oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer".

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

buffalo wrote: »
    Came across this segment earlier: http://www.strava.com/segments/3126859
    The edge of the Croke Park Plateau?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

rp wrote: »
    The edge of the Croke Park Plateau?

Mayo's chances of winning as the match progressed on Sunday?

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'll be back for it next week as I am away at the minute, enjoy it while it lasts.

Yesterdays attempt didn't go too well though ;):pac:

Yesterdays attempt didn't go too well though ;):pac:

I hadn't seen the new KOM (on edge 500) at the time and felt no need to push, next week is coming.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I hadn't seen the new KOM (on edge 500) at the time and felt no need to push, next week is coming.

Think you have another 5 seconds in your legs? I look forward to this little bit of competition now! :D

Think you have another 5 seconds in your legs? I look forward to this little bit of competition now! :D

I'll just put on a bigger chainring once I get back, how hard could it be :cool:

(Although before I realised who it was I did check was it a car reading)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

Strava has gotten the better of me, to the point where I probably did a little too much climbing today to increase my chances of getting a podium for the week. It's utterly meaningless competition but I can't help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Meaningless? How dare you!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

bellinter wrote: »
    Meaningless? How dare you!

Ha, well I mean the indirect cumulative stats competing. Competing for segment times... now that's serious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Jocry

I just joined it today, pity, I managed the longest cycle for last week lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just joined up there.

Advertisement