Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »
    Annoying as hell, managed to hit 2nd place on this segment tonight, yet the KOM is completely bogus but apparently has already been flagged so nothing can be done :/

http://www.strava.com/segments/6865886?filter=overall
    Jesus you were hammering it J. Just out of interest, were you on the road or the cycle track?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Jesus you were hammering it J. Just out of interest, were you on the road or the cycle track?

Cycle track, was completely empty at that time so I thought Id throw the hammer down and see what I could put out!

Cycle track, was completely empty...
    Lucky you! Anytime I venture along there I have to deal with muppets with extended dog leads and unlit cyclists coming against me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Annoying as hell, managed to hit 2nd place on this segment tonight, yet the KOM is completely bogus but apparently has already been flagged so nothing can be done :/

What suggests to you that the KOM is bogus?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

What suggests to you that the KOM is bogus?

same question here, looks legit to me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Time of the really bad weather last year, easily done if not a tad stupid to risk it if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Yep, KOM looks fine, there were 100kmph SW winds that day so it was wind doping, but legit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It's not bogus. There was a hurricane blowing that day. I think he had 70kph+ tailwind assistance. I remember checking it before.
    Here's the weather alert for that day. https://www.facebook.com/IrishWeatherOnline/posts/641289999220718

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Had fun along there last night myself. Though there were a few dogs etc about so I didn't absolutely hammer it (that's my excuse for being 16 seconds slower than you on that segment alone).

Fair enough, I retract my statement of its false legitimacy, and apologise for any hurt caused :pac:

But I can't see that KOM being beaten anytime in the future..and with over 2200 people that have cycled it already with a quite a lot doing that route weekly it really ruins the competitiveness :(
    It's not bogus. There was a hurricane blowing that day. I think he had 70kph+ tailwind assistance. I remember checking it before.
    Here's the weather alert for that day. https://www.facebook.com/IrishWeatherOnline/posts/641289999220718

70?? :eek: Theres no hope for us all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Strange. I just got a Ride from 2011 flagged. Dundrum, Newtown, Slaughter Hill. Nowhere near the leaderboards on any of the segments.

Nothing notable about it at all IIRC. Wonder why it would get flagged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

daragh_ wrote: »
    Strange. I just got a Ride from 2011 flagged. Dundrum, Newtown, Slaughter Hill. Nowhere near the leaderboards on any of the segments.

I think this thread is enough evidence as to the petty reasons people flag rides.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

daragh_ wrote: »

I'll see your flagged 2011 ride and raise you someone flagging a boatload of my rides all at once. Only noticed when I saw my mileage for the year had dropped. When I reported it to Strava they said someone had flagged every ride I'd gotten a KOM on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

^^^
    Yeah that's what happened to me as well.

I'd be right at the top of the KOM charts if it wasn't for those meddling kids:p

70?? :eek: Theres no hope for us all!

I dunno - yr.no had 19m/s (68.4kph) along there at 0600 this morning. :eek:

There are a few tricky spots along the route though where I wouldn't fancy giving it full welly in that kind of a wind.

By the way , I think the guy who has the KOM got a whole load of them that day ; there seems to be about ten segments along that strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Even with that wind do you think the heart rate at 71bpm is believable? Okay, it could be a bad metre or sensor but I've had the help of strong winds along there too and still had to work to get my PR.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Even with that wind do you think the heart rate at 71bpm is believable? Okay, it could be a bad metre or sensor but I've had the help of strong winds along there too and still had to work to get my PR.

i wouldn;t trust hr data. i've hr data from a ride on monday shows me having a hr of 54 for a long stretch, then it goes back to normal at the 140ish range. look at the speed profile and it looks pretty normal

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

If you look at the GPS he's clearly on the bike path so unless he was on a motorbike then its legit, but his HR wasn't 71 BPM, thats defo an error in the sensor or battery or something, he's posted on here before so might confirm it himself anyway, but at the bottom of watermill you can see him crossing on the bike path, same in Sutton. Pity the Giro doesn't go that way down the coast, we could have seen if they'd have matched him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I wouldn't trust hr data to be honest. I've gone out without wearing a monitor and ended up with the heart rate of someone else I passed by recorded by my garmin.
    His data on all the segments that day is 71bpm which isn't normal, so more likely a false signal somewhere along the ride.

If you look at the GPS he's clearly on the bike path so unless he was on a motorbike then its legit, but his HR wasn't 71 BPM, thats defo an error in the sensor or battery or something, he's posted on here before so might confirm it himself anyway, but at the bottom of watermill you can see him crossing on the bike path, same in Sutton. Pity the Giro doesn't go that way down the coast, we could have seen if they'd have matched him :)

I doubt the pro boys would be hitting 70km/h either way along that stretch, I had the hammer down on a completely free cycle track and my effort is fairly shameful with the KOM!

He also hits the same speeds that I do going down the sutton descent in Howth :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

if u read the comments he was not wearing HR monitor it is something Strava did.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

when i look into my own all-time on that segment i have ridden it 8 times with a best time of 2.39, yet when you look at the PB and leader board it shows 3.21 and the second time from my list... strange

its a great stretch with a tail wind but you always get a few heart stopping moments involving dogs etc

I imagine that a lot of KOMs on the flat are wind assisted, possibly those involving actual climbs are too. My one and only ever KOM (long since gone) was in a strong westerly; it wasn't even the fastest time as the QOM was about 10 seconds quicker again.

As regards the segment in question, on some days I've taken up to four minutes rolling time working much harder than last wednesday when I managed 02:17 courtesy of the wind. I guess the only way to judge how you're doing is to compare yourself to other riders on the day, in which case I was four of five or six ; zyzz was numero uno.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 foxd3

Hey guys, that's my KOM there. The HR data is dodgy, I wasn't wearing a HRM that night. Had to contact strava to get it reinstated after someone saw the HR data and flagged it. Strava saw it was legit. Beast of a tailwind though, you're not wrong there, but I figured if didn't then someone else would eventually anyway. Wind's a big factor on all segments, even going up Howth. At this stage the majority of my PRs are wind assisted. Just have to get faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 joe50

foxd3 wrote: »
    Hey guys, that's my KOM there. The HR data is dodgy, I wasn't wearing a HRM that night. Had to contact strava to get it reinstated after someone saw the HR data and flagged it. Strava saw it was legit. Beast of a tailwind though, you're not wrong there, but I figured if didn't then someone else would eventually anyway. Wind's a big factor on all segments, even going up Howth. At this stage the majority of my PRs are wind assisted. Just have to get faster!
    Zyzz has no wind assisted KOMs and is a member of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouvement_pour_un_cyclisme_crédible

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I didn't realise anyone was taking Strava seriously anymore.

ror_74 wrote: »
    I didn't realise anyone was taking Strava seriously anymore.

Only on windy days! :D:D:D

whacker00 wrote: »
    when i look into my own all-time on that segment i have ridden it 8 times with a best time of 2.39, yet when you look at the PB and leader board it shows 3.21 and the second time from my list... strange ..
    Did you mark the ride where you achieved the fastest time as 'private'?

(Do private rides show up in general leader boards?)

I just checked my own on that segment - ridden 17 times. The wattage is all over the place. Strava can't detect wind resistance or the weight of my backpack, clothing etc. so why would the wattage output for some rides in the same segment, in the same direction, be twice that of other rides where the speed is the same? :confused:

(I appreciate that it could be on different bikes but their weight is roughly the same.)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Any tips for recovering files from an Edge 510? I was running a Livetrack activity, hit start/stop, saved activity. I turned the thing off and when I turned it back on, all of my user data was gone (bike/activity profiles, old activities, courses, workouts). I tried using Recuva, but it couldn't find anything relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Any tips for recovering files from an Edge 510? I was running a Livetrack activity, hit start/stop, saved activity. I turned the thing off and when I turned it back on, all of my user data was gone (bike/activity profiles, old activities, courses, workouts). I tried using Recuva, but it couldn't find anything relevant.

Can you see the files in the history folder through explorer/ finder ?

Advertisement