Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

ror_74 wrote: »
    That would mean designated administrators, which is a whole new can of worms for Strava I'd imagine.

Local administrators for segments would be great though. Then KOMs might revert back to actual hill climbs.

their is no kom's for negative gradients, i see no issue with Kom for nice flat piece of roads its up to ourselves were we want to speed up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That would mean designated administrators, which is a whole new can of worms for Strava I'd imagine.

Just had a snoop around the Boards club on Strava and there appears to be an admin, who I think could change it to invite only if they want to. But it would open up a can of worms for anyone who is admin, in terms of verifying who is or isn't on Boards.
    Local administrators for segments would be great though. Then KOMs might revert back to actual hill climbs.

I think this is the way it has to go before the segment feature gets completely devalued. Delete all the junk segments and have users apply to admins for one to be created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

manafana wrote: »
    their is no kom's for negative gradients, i see no issue with Kom for nice flat piece of roads its up to ourselves were we want to speed up.

Flats should be TTs, away from traffic lights and built up areas, IMO.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think they should only have them on categorised climbs. Flat segments are utterly meaningless.

I think they should only have them on categorised climbs. Flat segments are utterly meaningless.

A flat segment may have value if its approved as a stretch for a TT effort, like the flat bit on the Dublin road towards Trim.

I suppose they risk alienating their users by tightening things up too much, but at the moment its messy.

• Advertisement

I get where you're coming from alright. Thing is that while all segments are affected by conditions, I reckon factors like wind on a flat segment are liable to make a massive difference, much more so than on a climb. The other thing is that you could have TT type segment but have all the top times taken by people who roll through it as part of a race. For example, there's a segment for the Gorey 3 Day TT, but the course is also part of the stage 3 circuit.

In my opinion, the only TT type segments that might work are out and back type ones, which go some way towards cancelling out the effect of wind and have no chance of crossover with road races.

Unless races were exempt with possibly their own classification on that area ? So if someone racing uploads to strava, it will register under race criteria but not under a standard user, and so won't effect the leaderboard...if you get me. Or, an algorithm to assign a handicap to racers on that segment might also be fair.

Either way Strava will have to delegate to local power users or administrators I'd say. If not, sooner or later they have a big mess to clean with half the industrialised world turned into junk segments.

Its pure speculation as to whether they will, but incorporating realtime analytics from a weather data link would mitigate the wind factor .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

...... cancelling out the effect of wind ....

Nooooooooooo! If it wasn't for the occasional hurricane in my favour on a flat section , mid table mediocrity would be as much as I could ever achieve. At least let me have the satisifaction of self delusion on the flat to make up for the harsh truth of the hill segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Just had a snoop around the Boards club on Strava and there appears to be an admin, who I think could change it to invite only if they want to. But it would open up a can of worms for anyone who is admin, in terms of verifying who is or isn't on Boards.

Couldn't we start a thread on here requesting users post here for access to the club?
    Nooooooooooo! If it wasn't for the occasional hurricane in my favour on a flat section , mid table mediocrity would be as much as I could ever achieve. At least let me have the satisfaction of self delusion on the flat to make up for the harsh truth of the hill segments.

Maybe you... :cool: .. NeedMoreGears.... YEAHHH!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Those chaps at Strava have compiled all the workouts logged and developed a heatmap to show the most frequented routes.

Clontarf road and N11 seem the most frequented

Strava Heat Map

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Cheers op pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Cool, I love the data points on my lane that I know for sure are me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

All clubs have admins already. They can assign more from the club members as they see fit.

What do you mean by 'revert back to actual hill climbs'? KOMs have always been awarded for all segments, regardless if they are uphill, flat, downhill or loop-the-loops.
    manafana wrote: »
    There are KOMs for descents; they just don't tell you if you lose it, which is a pain.
    …I think this is the way it has to go before the segment feature gets completely devalued. Delete all the junk segments and have users apply to admins for one to be created.
    You can already hide segments that are not relevant to you. Just because you don't find them useful, doesn't mean they can be labelled 'junk'. Requiring all proposed segments to be passed by an admin is unworkable: how can you expect one unpaid volunteer to have infallible knowledge of all the routes a rider may take over even the smallest area?
    Unless races were exempt with possibly their own classification on that area ? So if someone racing uploads to strava, it will register under race criteria but not under a standard user, and so won't effect the leaderboard...if you get me. Or, an algorithm to assign a handicap to racers on that segment might also be fair.

Either way Strava will have to delegate to local power users or administrators I'd say. If not, sooner or later they have a big mess to clean with half the industrialised world turned into junk segments.

Its pure speculation as to whether they will, but incorporating realtime analytics from a weather data link would mitigate the wind factor .
    I think you would be better served by accepting Strava for what it is and not diluting its purity in the search of the 'true' fastest rider. If that's what you're interested in, you can go ride a TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....There are KOMs for descents; they just don't tell you if you lose it, which is a pain..
    I thought they stopped informing regardless of segment type. I've hemorrhaged KOM's in the past year to all these whippersnappers who are half my age and half my weight and only discovered via veloviewer.

Long drag anyone? 88kms at 4% - 3,000m - :eek:

http://www.strava.com/segments/2713347

I thought they stopped informing regardless of segment type. I've hemorrhaged KOM's in the past year to all these whippersnappers who are half my age and half my weight and only discovered via veloviewer.
    Perhaps you are right. The definitely still issue notifications for run segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

That would make sense .... I broke my arse to steal an offroad descent KOM from a friend of mine the other day and waited for the inevitable outrage which never happened! Sorta defeats the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Long drag anyone? 88kms at 4% - 3,000m - :eek:

http://www.strava.com/segments/2713347

took a pro 3.46 all be it hes not really a climber, road is meant be very busy to try it yourself hwoever.

C3PO wrote: »
    That would make sense .... I broke my arse to steal an offroad descent KOM from a friend of mine the other day and waited for the inevitable outrage which never happened! Sorta defeats the point!
    I think someone here said they stopped sending the messages after the legal action against them in San Francisco(?) by the family of a rider who died in a RTA chasing a KOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I think a case could be made to wipe all KOMs at the end of each year. That way you would start off each year with a clean slate. Otherwise the segments are just going to get harder and harder to get a KOM on. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference to me, I'm unlikely to ever have one anyway, but as things stand I think Strava risks losing some appeal. Resetting KOMs each year would also create a huge incentive to get out early in the new year despite the bad weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'd like to see a pro feature of kom pb and kom year to date or previous x months.

Idleater wrote: »
    I'd like to see a pro feature of kom pb and kom year to date or previous x months.
    This is a better suggestion than wiping the slate clean every year. People need to accept Strava segments take place in uncontrolled circumstances where people can and do get lucky. There are thousands of segments out there, which means thousands of chances for you to 'get lucky'.

The best thing that Strava can do to keep itself relevant, now that most popular segments have reached saturation, is to emphasise the social aspect. I may not be contesting the absolute KOM, but I'd love some recognition for being the fastest on a given segment within my club, or even if I just beat a friend's time. You can already filter leaderboards by club/followed people, but a little 'Club KOM' badge wouldn't go amiss. A notification if a friend beats me on one of my starred segments would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I think someone here said they stopped sending the messages after the legal action against them in San Francisco(?) by the family of a rider who died in a RTA chasing a KOM.

I got one during the week for a segment here in Galway, not sure why it was set up as it was a short one between lights but as it was on my route to work I got the KOM only for the email to come later that day to tell me I'd lost it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Anyone else find that the leaderboard after creating a new segment is sometimes messed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

I think it can take a few minutes to fully populate the segment leaderboard with the PBs of people who have cycled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Those chaps at Strava have compiled all the workouts logged and developed a heatmap to show the most frequented routes.

Clontarf road and N11 seem the most frequented

Strava Heat Map

That's pretty cool when you zoom out, the UK compared to the rest of Europe :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

That's pretty cool when you zoom out, the UK compared to the rest of Europe :eek:

Belgium and Holland, thats some graphic right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Anyone know how many Giro riders are on Strava, could be a few emails sent after the weekend!

Anyone know how many Giro riders are on Strava, could be a few emails sent after the weekend!
    http://www.strava.com/pros - You could do a cross check with the Giro list.

I expect to wave goodbye to my top 10 position between Lusk and Blake's Cross! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the RAS traditionally goes through some of the roads round me every year. suffice to say there are a number of segments where the entire peleton hold the top positions.

tough enough to try and take on one of them over a stretch, but when they have the added advantages of closed roads and a pack of the best riders in the country it's damned impossible. Suddenly being half way down a leaderboard is a mark of pride:)

Advertisement