Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Boards.ie Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

buffalo wrote: »
    If there were speed bumps would it be okay?

Have you started racing yet Zyzz? TTing at least?

"I for one can't wait for the speed bumps" said no one

Not sure if that comment is in a sarcastic nature but no not yet to both. Finish college exams tomorrow and then hoping to get racing within the next couple of weeks. Also looking to join a club, possibly Orwell or Tiernans to get some experience :)

Tbh I'm fairly clueless as to the whole scene, racing, clubs, fees, licenses etc..I have the bike and a decent set of legs so some knowledge wouldn't go astray :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

It doesn't matter what the condition of a segment is: flagging it as hazardous achieves nothing. It's riders without consideration that are hazardous, and none of them are going to consult Strava to see if a given segment has been flagged before giving it a lash. Flagging segments simply contributes to segment bloat by encouraging others to create an identical 'non-hazardous' segment. If you don't think that you can safely compete on a given segment (or it is otherwise not relevant to you), simply 'hide' it so it no longer appears under your rides, in the Analysis tab or in your achievements.
    I've said something along these lines before, but it bears repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... flagging it as hazardous achieves nothing. It's riders without consideration that are hazardous...
    +1

The most hazardous riders on the Clontarf/Sutton track are those who travel slowly and weave about with no consideration or awareness of what's going on around them. At least most of those who are tipping along nicely are very alert and seldom change position without checking that it is safe to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Zyzz wrote: »
    Not sure if that comment is in a sarcastic nature but no not yet to both. Finish college exams tomorrow and then hoping to get racing within the next couple of weeks. Also looking to join a club, possibly Orwell or Tiernans to get some experience :)

Tbh I'm fairly clueless as to the whole scene, racing, clubs, fees, licenses etc..I have the bike and a decent set of legs so some knowledge wouldn't go astray :pac:

It was genuine, as you seem do a lot of 'racing' on Strava, and achieve what appear to be good results in that context. If I were you, the logical next step would be to see how I perform in a serious competitive environment against other riders.

I'd expect you to do well - Hammond TT is coming up on Sunday 15th in June if you have a licence and fancy testing yourself against the clock around Wicklow. The advantage of a TT being that you don't have to deal with the messy business of the bunch, tactics, work on your sprint, less risk of crashing, etc.

(The speed bumps was directed at whoever marked it hazardous.)

buffalo wrote: »
    It was genuine, as you seem do a lot of 'racing' on Strava, and achieve what appear to be good results in that context. If I were you, the logical next step would be to see how I perform in a serious competitive environment against other riders.

I'd expect you to do well - Hammond TT is coming up on Sunday 15th in June if you have a licence and fancy testing yourself against the clock around Wicklow. The advantage of a TT being that you don't have to deal with the messy business of the bunch, tactics, work on your sprint, less risk of crashing, etc.

(The speed bumps was directed at whoever marked it hazardous.)

Ah my mistake! That seems to be what I'm missing as there really isn't a genuine competitive environment with Strava. Albeit my climbing isn't very very at this point so thats something I'd need to put a lot of effort into :( I'll have a look into getting into a club asap and then maybe give that TT a shot! How serious an event is it? Do the best show up with the best gear etc? :pac:

(So was my speed bump comment! :P )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ah my mistake! That seems to be what I'm missing as there really isn't a genuine competitive environment with Strava. Albeit my climbing isn't very very at this point so thats something I'd need to put a lot of effort into :( I'll have a look into getting into a club asap and then maybe give that TT a shot! How serious an event is it? Do the best show up with the best gear etc? :pac:

Was also wondering this bit as well. College finished on Friday and thinking of doing a race or two

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I only came across Strava last night (just got back into cycling after many years away). I have been using MapMyRide linked with MyFitnessPal (trying to lose weight) but am wondering what the advantages of Strava are over MMR ? Is it an app mainly for racers to benchmark times or can it be used to find routes that others have done ? At the moment I mainly do 15-25km rides around my area Dublin 11 but am soon looking for some longer (40km+) routes that I can do at weekends.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I only came across Strava last night (just got back into cycling after many years away). I have been using MapMyRide linked with MyFitnessPal (trying to lose weight) but am wondering what the advantages of Strava are over MMR ? Is it an app mainly for racers to benchmark times or can it be used to find routes that others have done ? At the moment I mainly do 15-25km rides around my area Dublin 11 but am soon looking for some longer (40km+) routes that I can do at weekends.

Its what ever you want it to be. Segments and social.stuff I find very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

godtabh wrote: »
    Was also wondering this bit as well. College finished on Friday and thinking of doing a race or two

Are you not in Orwell?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

You don't necessarily have to join a club to race - just a CI race licence will do. No one-day licences allowed anymore this year though, you'll have to shell out for the year.

And all events are serious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

godtabh wrote: »

The classic progression is joining a club in October, learning to ride in a group over the winter, trying a few club races early in the season and then moving on to open races (which tend to have bigger bunches).

However, no time like the present. It may be midway through the season, but joining a club, getting out for some spins and checking out some races will do you no harm and will certainly bring you on more than someone who opts to wait till the Autumn.

A mistake lots of beginners make is waiting too long to take the plunge, i.e. "I need another year's training". Yes, you may get stronger training on your own, but you're likely to progress much faster if you start to get involved now.

There will always be people faster than you, with fancier equipment. And if you're lucky enough to be one of the better ones right from the off, you'll quickly be promoted to a level where you'll be suffering with the rest.

Don't worry about climbing. You won't even need the small ring in about 95 per cent of Irish races.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Are you not in Orwell?

Yeah but the club league is closed

Sorry my post might have been a bit confusing.

I've done the winter training/club involvement but with college havent had the time to do much else. I'm now looking to see what it is like to race. May or may not be something I'd been into long term but I have a bit of time on my hands now

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Didn't realise you were already in a club.

Email the league committee and say you'd be interested in joining. A window for late entries just closed two weeks ago. I don't know if they'll do another one, but no harm in flagging your interest.

Aside from that, there's always the open races. If you don't have one, you'll need to upgrade your licence to an open competition licence. Bigger fields and the bunch can be a bit scary for a newcomer, but you could dip your toes in. Don't worry about results to start with, just get used to the dynamic of the bunch.

There's the Deenside Cup in Castelcomer next Sunday and the Sean Nolan GP in Navan the following weekend. There's also races in Mondello some Tuesday nights.

Hmm, went to upload my ride to strava today and it's not showing up as a new activity..and by that I mean there is nothing there lol

Happened to anyone before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Hmm, went to upload my ride to strava today and it's not showing up as a new activity..and by that I mean there is nothing there lol

Phone or garmin? Have lost second portion of last few spins using Android phone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Quick strava question, is it possible to set up so that I get splits every 1k or 5k or whatever. Don't need to see/hear it in real time, but would be nice to see once I get home on the PC. Can do it in Maymyride but can't seem to find it on Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It happened to me last week. I now stop the garmin and reset it before powering it off in the hope that might stop it happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Quick strava question, is it possible to set up so that I get splits every 1k or 5k or whatever. Don't need to see/hear it in real time, but would be nice to see once I get home on the PC. Can do it in Maymyride but can't seem to find it on Strava

If you are using a Garmin you can set up laps for various different distances. That might be the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

CptMackey wrote: »
    If you are using a Garmin you can set up laps for various different distances. That might be the way forward.
    No don't have a garmin, just have a strava app on a android phone.

Yes, it has happened me on three occasions. One of them was a 200km+ ride. Sickener! :(

• Advertisement

Seriously lads this flagging is becoming a f*cking joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Out for my first 20km TT practice of the year...Phone switched itself off at some point on my ride, all data lost. Mother****er :mad:

Pardon my ignorance, but can you create the exact same segment again?

Out for my first 20km TT practice of the year...Phone switched itself off at some point on my ride, all data lost. Mother****er :mad:

Pardon my ignorance, but can you create the exact same segment again?

Your ignorance is kindly pardoned, but yes I have, numerous times on the majority of the segments but they keep getting flagged. And it's just the ones that I have the KOM on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

When I upload rides to strava the address is always repeated, which is slightly annoying. Anyone experience this?

When I upload rides to strava the address is always repeated, which is slightly annoying. Anyone experience this?
    Yes - mine would come up like this "26/05/2014 Fingal, Co Dublin, Ireland, Dublin, Ireland".

I usually delete it and give the activity a title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Your ignorance is kindly pardoned, but yes I have, numerous times on the majority of the segments but they keep getting flagged. And it's just the ones that I have the KOM on.

It's Janos from 2008 for sure

It's Janos from 2008 for sure

:pac:

I've only taken one of his and matched another today :P

The others that are getting flagged I haven't seen him on the leaderboard (albeit I haven't gone looking)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Call your new segments 'Flag if you wanna go faster'.

Some idiot has flagged a whole batch of segments in the Fairview/North Strand/Amien St area. It's getting ridiculous! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

Some idiot has flagged a whole batch of segments in the Fairview/North Strand/Amien St area. It's getting ridiculous! :mad:

Silly really. Flagging the ride or the full segment?

Advertisement