Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing alarm

Options
  • 28-09-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

im making a move to eircom phonewatch wireless,i need to rip out old alarm system as im getting new windows etc so need to remove the shocks etc etc!

My question is do i just knock off mains power to alarm panel,pull the fuse and then disconnect the battery,i dont want the alarm to start sounding?

I am a sparks so quite competent just have not had much dealing with alarm systems!

any help appreciated
    cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

And will Eircom not do this for you? ???
    Any company who upgrades or fits a new system should do this as part of the job.
    That Lark of them putting their own box up beside an old one is the most unprofessional bit of work I have ever seen.
    Regarding using Eircom I would advise shopping around first
    There are much better systems out there at much better prices.
    Here are the questions you need to ask eircom.
    How many calls are covered with annual maintenance?
    Is there a time limit on a call and what's the hourly rate over that.
    How much extra is an external bell?
    If I switch my phone provider to UPC etc will you still monitor my alarm?
    If you are happy with all their answers and you still want to do their work for them then remove the mains and battery power from the panel and discontent and remove all the devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

If you cut all power to the panel, including battery, will the external bell not ring for 3 hours on it's own battery as a fail safe.?
    I was always under the impression this was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

+1 for shopping around.

If the house is already wired, why are you changing to wireless, or is it because EP say that you have to? You could probably get a new panel, keypad, bell installed as well as any new contacts/sensors that are required if you went for HKC Securewave (for example) which has options for adding extra wireless devices (e.g. PIRs)to your existing wired setup. EP also refuse to deal with contacts & will only deal with sensors for some reason..

The chances are that you would get quotes from numerous alarm installation companies for anything between a third & half the price quoted by EP. The same goes for monitoring.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Mulk wrote: »
    If you cut all power to the panel, including battery, will the external bell not ring for 3 hours on it's own battery as a fail safe.?
    I was always under the impression this was the case.

20 minutes, Unless it's very old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Cheers for that, I'm obviously thinking of something else

• Advertisement

The old metal bells could ring for days on their own battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Eircom will not remove the old alarm, I can see their point in a way.
    But the whole double boxing thing is a joke and is not limited to Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Jnealon wrote: »
    Eircom will not remove the old alarm

They will if you pay them the money to do so.

Jnealon wrote: »
    Eircom will not remove the old alarm, I can see their point in a way.

Whats their point? I can't see any good reason no to.
    If I get any upgrade job Im more than happy to remove the old stuff.

KoolKid wrote: »
    If I get any upgrade job Im more than happy to remove the old stuff.

Like most people in the industry.

• Advertisement

Whats their point?
    Money, time is money especially when accountants are in charge

And you can see their point?? I can't.
    If part of your business of upgrading that's part of the service. Especially considering, in a lot of cases, they replace systems needlessly.
    I had a rep at my door one night telling me i'd be better off taking out my year old SigNEt system & replacing it with eight wireless zones.:confused::eek:

I said I can see their point, I didn't say I agreed with it.
    Double boxing is a pet hate of mine
    Get yourself some electric gates, keeps the riff raff out

Terrible way to treat customers if you ask me.
    A bit like D Kelly carpets in the day.
    "Sorry Mrs I can't put your carpet down in that room. Someone left a screw on the ground & we don't pick up. Not even after ourselves..;)
    Sorry , but I can't see the point of selling a replacement product & refusing to move the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kmepll

A neighbour of my mothers got eircom phone watch and the engineer eas only too delighted to remove her alarm and all the sensors and take them off her hands as they were useless to her,She had only had the alarm installed a couple of months previous and had more money than sense.Not blaming the Engineers for any wrong doing, she was sold the eircom alarm by the door to door salesman, so she seen it as him doing her a favor and he seen it an alarm going to waste.

fair play to him, good to see someone taking pride in their work.
    But this is not the norm for pw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Me thinks Mr Phonewatch had a nixer lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭creedp

Terrible way to treat customers if you ask me.
    A bit like D Kelly carpets in the day.
    "Sorry Mrs I can't put your carpet down in that room. Someone left a screw on the ground & we don't pick up. Not even after ourselves..;)
    Sorry , but I can't see the point of selling a replacement product & refusing to move the old one.

Imagine if you got a company to replace your windows and the company said you'd better remove the old ones before we come sometime next week/month:) Same goes for a replacement boiler, electrics, etc etc ... Absolutey crazy and a reason not to consider the company any further ...

kmepll wrote: »
    A neighbour of my mothers got eircom phone watch and the engineer eas only too delighted to remove her alarm and all the sensors and take them off her hands as they were useless to her,She had only had the alarm installed a couple of months previous and had more money than sense.Not blaming the Engineers for any wrong doing, she was sold the eircom alarm by the door to door salesman, so she seen it as him doing her a favor and he seen it an alarm going to waste.

The funny thing about this is people who have a working alarm systems in there home are being told by the sales people that they should get a new system installed that will be able to contact P.W. In reality the alarm system that she had installed would properly have the ability to contact any monitoring station with a few minor alterations.

If she had a proper site survey carried out by an engineer rather than a sales person who knows nothing about alarm systems and is only interested in a sale then she might have saves herself money. I know from you comments she has more money than sense but that is not the point.

You have to ask yourself why is it that they send people who are not qualified to do a professional survey to peoples homes. It is not fair on there clients and not fair on unsuspecting people who know as much about the alarm as the sales people.

Advertisement