Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC are cancelling Confidential

• 28-09-2011 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_110928_01/Doctor_Who_Confidential_The_Finale
    For the past seven years, Doctor Who Confidential has put you at the heart of Doctor Who, providing a unique insight into the stars, the show and the entire production.
    This journey reaches a fitting finale on Saturday when Doctor Who Confidential premiers a brand new mini-adventure starring Matt Smith as the Doctor.

Aww.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, budget cuts I'm guessing. Though truthfully - I never actually watched Confidential, as it just seemed like a re-run of the episode I just watched, set to music & interrupted by the occasional talking head from the production team.

I hope at the very least though they keep some form of makings-of extras for future DVDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Not overly surprised or disappointed to be honest. It was 15-30 minutes too long, had basically the same info with some minor changes, and filled with loads of padding. They spent 5 minutes interviewing the caterer and and spent good portions of the last few episodes talking about the mini-episode mentioned in the article; more time that the actual episode itself will be

Basically they've run out of ideas for it, so if things have to be cut, then cut the thing that's served its purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I always liked the behind the scenes aspect to it. Sure they did waste some time with some silliness like the catering story, but people got to see how a TV show was made - you don't see a lot of that.

It was also mentioned to me on Twitter that the show had a side benefit of showing scared kids that the monsters that terrified them are really just men in suits or things on computer screens which I never considered but makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Never bothered to watch it TBH.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

bugger, I really liked Confidential, altho I agree that it could have ben trimmed down to about 20 minutes, I find the technical aspects of the Monster creation fascinating and its insightful to see how they work on such small budgets, like there were only 5 robots in the girl who waited, but it seemed like they were everywhere on screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

It was fun to watch after 'big' episodes, as something of a comedown, be it, Tennant's end, Smith's debut, season finales et al and David Tennant used it himself as a platform to make the excellent 'Do you remember the first time?' documentary, but as mentioned, it's generally been this been big, bloated, contractual obligation of a thing and I'm a wee bit relieved that it's this getting cancelled rather than another cut to the main show. I mean, even the staff are just going to get absorbed into another end of the BBC, everyone wins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Indeed; if this cancellation means that Who writers can actually start writing scripts again that involve more than 3 characters - or are set somewhere other than a conveniently abandoned ship/facility/museum/council estate - then I'll be the first one to clear out Confidential's desk & call security :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Neh, for every decent Confidential episode there seemed to be at least 2 or that were pointlessly over-long and self-congratulatory. Episodes like the minotaur one where there's enough meat to the story to allow for some interesting discussion or which have some interesting effects or production techniques involved would tend to generate good Confidential episodes, but overall they should never have been more than a 15 minute segment to begin with.

It may have been possible to do longer Confidential episodes when the series was first being brought back, but once the audience was up to speed and each Confidential was just about the episode of the week, the format became preposterous.

I'm sure they'll have bits and pieces for the DVD releases though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That said though, I loved the one that accompanied The Doctor's Wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I liked the recent one with Cordon.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    That said though, I loved the one that accompanied The Doctor's Wife.

I really like when they were concentrate on the writers myself. Surprised no-one mentioned Gaimon's yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That's a shame, always enjoyed watching it honestly.

There was no confidential on BBC3 last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

There was no confidential on BBC3 last night
    There was, but not until 8.30

ah Bollix, I missed it So, when is it repeated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

ah Bollix, I missed it So, when is it repeated
    Afaik it was repeated tonight on bbc3 but its too late now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

excellent episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I only usually watched the 10 minutes confidential they played during the week rather than the 30 mins after the episode. Loved the ribbing that used to go on between the main cast members. Something you wouldn't even have in gag reels:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Ironically, that last episode of Confidential was probably the second-best all year. For anyone that didn't see it, as well as the mini-episode it also had a definitive time line for River Song that's worth a look:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I watched a single episode and all it consisted of was Karen and Matt sitting in a tent in a field and complaining about how cold it was. I never bothered watching again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement