Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catch the Brownlees Duathlon 22/10/2011 - 3.2k/17k/3.2k

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was looking at that aswell. Don't think I'll be able to get up there that weekend though, if there's still entries in a couple of weeks I might give it a whack - won't get many opportunites to say I got to race with the Brownlees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just on the off chance, what do I get if I do catch one of them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

From what i gather its actually going to be a case of them catching us. The women go first at a certain amount of time ahead. Then the men and the Brownlees have to wait a certain amount of time to then start. I dont think the time is set yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Whoever drafted the flyer gives Dublin a very wide catchment area! Not sure if Dundalk can be considered a suburb of Dublin just yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'm entered for this as well.

More for the Craic though, first Duathlon well overdue.

Only downside is it's at the end of my prep training so not exactly going to be at my peak.

Should be a good event nonetheless.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt worry about peaking for this. All ill have peaking is my belly! Its downtime now for most

Bambaata wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry about peaking for this. All ill have peaking is my belly! Its downtime now for most

I know yeah.
    Wouldve been nicer to have it a bit further out or in as I'm just out of parking up my keister for 3 weeks and Filling the belly too!

At least it will spur us back into training proper, especially if the head start is generous and they still catch up.
    Be good to see them in action either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Given that this is on the same day as the TI awards dinner, how likely is it that the Brownlees will be the "very special guests"?

Given that this is on the same day as the TI awards dinner, how likely is it that the Brownlees will be the "very special guests"?

100% likely... ;)

Places are almost gone i believe so if anyone is sitting on the fence you'd better decide quick ;-)

They've also released the wave times.

12:00 - All women
    12:03 - All men
    12:06 - Brownlees

So fingers crossed i can make it to the bike before getting caught

• Advertisement

3 minutes is all !!

Better than nothing I guess!

So 3.2k run to start, which they'll be doing in what, 9 mins give or take 30 seconds.

Ok, I think I can make the bike still ahead...

Odds that they draft each other to pass everyone then? :)

We could tag team a savage draft squad and try stay ahead :)
    Actually haven't seen any rules yet, maybe drafting will be allowed?

Creeping up on us now just over 2.5 weeks now so!

Anyone know is the course a tt bike or road bike suitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Swanner911

Hi Fazz,

I would say that the course is equally suitable for TT or road bikes. (I cycled it last last week). Because of the couple of drags in it there isn't a big advantage with one over the other. People that are well used to their TT bikes then I would say go for that and viceversa.

The winners will probably do the race in around 46-49 mins ( the likes of Matt Molloy) Then the top ladies such as Jen Duffy will probably be around 49-52 mins and I guess that the Brownlees will be around 43 to 46 mins, should be a good finish!!

There will be 3 motor bike marshalls - strictly no drafting. Obviously this is just way too dangerous especially with TT bikes. The Brownlees won't be allowed to draft either btw

Bambaata wrote: »
    Anyone here doing this. Myself and the better half are heading up for it. We went to the Alistair talk last year which i think was also organised by the guys behind this and we had a great time so i'm expecting no less from this, if not better!

http://triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=496

I think its on the Sportsman Duathlon course (BMcCrystal might confirm this?)

If so the GPS data BMcCrystal put up before is:

Run - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/14065685
    Bike (2 laps) - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/14065685

Just an update the bike course is actually this I gather:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/17338254

Looks tt course for sure so.

Hopefully weather holds up and we can all chase the brownlees and this other Olympic guy I gather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

They are giving out some of the awards as far as Im aware.

Just back from this.

Very enjoyable Duathlon, man they are fast.
    I came into T1 just about ahead of them, they were out of T1 ahead of me!

Nice course, windy but rain held off. 808front was a little scary once or twice but not too bad.

Paced the first run and overtook a good few on bike mainly.
    got overtaken once at end of run.

Think I was around 13th in the end, but a great day.
    I might go back up for one of their duathlons next year. Fast course and nice.
    Handy to get to.

Alistair won I gather! With Matt Malloy pretty close.

How'd ye do?

Were they taking entries on the day Fazz? Pretty sure I saw something pop up on Facebook yesterday about there being entries today.

Yep they sure did.
    A guy was entering just ahead of me in registration.
    No problem at all but 45 with one day licence.

All for a good cause in fairness so a great event.

Ah crap I figured it was long sold out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Fazz wrote: »
    Just back from this.

Alistair won I gather! With Matt Malloy pretty close.

I was there as a spectator today as I unfortunately couldn't take part.
    Matt Malloy was third & Paul Carrol was 2nd. Paul came in to T2 roughly a minute ahead of Alistair & Alistair caught him on the run. I'm looking forward to seeing the breakdown of times for this cause the top Irish guys were very impressive on the bikes today. In fact the funniest part of the race for me was seeing Jonathan Brownlee drafting the entire 2nd half of the bike leg behind Rob Cummins from Wheelworx. If drafting penalties had been enforced Johnathon would have been disqualified. :D
    Those guys are some runners, I timed Alistair's 2nd run at 9:33. When Bryan Mc Crystal won one of the Sportsman Duathlon's earlier this year his 2nd run was 11:16. So that gives you an idea just how fast Alistair can run.
    Fair play to the brothers afterwards, so many people were hassling them for photographs & autographs and they were more than willing to oblige & smiled for every single photograph. And they'll have to do it all again tonight. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Hey All,

I have about 500 photos of yesterdays race, if anyone wants to check them out and finds an original of themself that they want, I'll mail it onto you.

No cost or the like.

Link is:

http://s1006.photobucket.com/albums/af187/moodleyr/Brownlee%20Challenge%2022-10-11/

PM me for the password.

• Advertisement

Enjoyed the race. Good course for it, i hadnt been up for the races there before but will certainly consider it for next year. Doing a race report at the moment but in short - run 1 was painful! I expected as much having just started back training 2 weeks ago, bike was tough enough, made all the harder by my back brake bloody rubbing whenever i tried to put the power down or tried to get out of the saddle! run 2 went okish, i was hurting and stitch was building but it went ok. 9th overall which i was happy with.

The top two Irish lads home were very close on the bike leg, well close to Jonathan. Matt Molly was actually faster than Jonathan on the bike.

ALISTAIR BROWNLEE 0:09:23.6 - 0:26:20.6 - 0:09:42.1 ==> 0:45:26.3
    JONATHAN BROWNLEE 0:09:25.0 - 0:28:01.2 - 0:09:43.5 ==> 0:47:09.8
    PAUL CARROLL 0:10:09.4 - 0:28:15.5 - 0:10:25.2 ==> 0:48:50.0
    MATT MOLLY 0:10:48.7 - 0:27:18.3 - 0:11:05.3 ==> 0:49:12.3

Where did you get those splits pwei??

I only see the Facebook ones which have different times to yours, with brownlee bikes at 21 and 22 mins which would be unreal.
    But has second run at 15odd which ain't right unless transitions and he walked across the line.

Yours look much more accurate and is like to see mine by comparison. I was 15th overall.

Cheers.

The organiser emailed results twice yesterday. The first email had a spreadsheet with times that included handicaps, headstarts etc. The 2nd email had a spreadsheet with all that plus the accurate chip times which were highlighted in yellow. The times I showed were the actual real times without any handicaps. If you didn't get it pm me & I'll email it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

PWEI wrote: »
    The organiser emailed results twice yesterday. The first email had a spreadsheet with times that included handicaps, headstarts etc. The 2nd email had a spreadsheet with all that plus the accurate chip times which were highlighted in yellow. The times I showed were the actual real times without any handicaps. If you didn't get it pm me & I'll email it to you.

Can you mail me them aswell :) im dying for a look see

tinydave wrote: »
    Can you mail me them aswell :) im dying for a look see

You have mail!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭airscotty

The top two Irish lads home were very close on the bike leg, well close to Jonathan. Matt Molly was actually faster than Jonathan on the bike./QUOTE]

But the brownlee's were on road bikes while the top Irish lads were on TT bikes/aero wheels/helmets ?? So thats gonna make 1r2 min difference...

airscotty wrote: »
    The top two Irish lads home were very close on the bike leg, well close to Jonathan. Matt Molly was actually faster than Jonathan on the bike./QUOTE]

But the brownlee's were on road bikes while the top Irish lads were on TT bikes/aero wheels/helmets ?? So thats gonna make 1r2 min difference...

Some would argue it's in the legs & not the bikes & I don't believe for one minute there is any advantage in wearing those darth vader helmets.
    Besides the Brownlees were on top of the range road bikes, Boardman Air 9.8's, RRP £5000;

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/air98.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I don't believe for one minute there is any advantage in wearing those darth vader helmets

So you dont believe in aerodynamics, thermodynamics or the laws of physics then? :):D

• Advertisement

i wouldnt think they'd get 1 or 2 mins over such a short course! There was also two tight roundabouts and 1 short sharp hill after one of the roundabouts which would have suited them much more.

Advertisement