Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Brisket in Dublin???

Options
  • 28-09-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Hey, i'm looking to buy some beef brisket in or around Dublin city. Anyone know a good butcher that does it as i can't find it in any supermarket? Also how much would you be paying for a full cut of brisket?
    Also if anyone had any recipe ideas for brisket, i'd love to hear them. Thanks a mill!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Brisket in Ireland is usually used for corned beef - so it's basically brined brisket (which is, incidentally, quite delicious). You'll probably need to request unbrined brisket specifically from your butcher. This cut of meat is often called silverside in Ireland. You can buy silverside in the north no problem, but down here it's always been corned.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

According to this website, brisket and silverside are different cuts
    http://www.chefsguidetoscotchbeef.org/butcher/supplier.html
    Might have a look in the butchers on Moore st.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Any decent butcher in Dublin should sell brisket.

Any decent butcher in Dublin should sell brisket.
    Know any around Dublin 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Bassfish wrote: »
    There's a good one in Rialto, right beside the roundabout. Awards and everything, and my local supplier of duck eggs - yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Musgraves sell massive cuts of brisket. Seen them in Robinhood Ind Est.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bassfish wrote: »

Not off-hand - I live in Switzerland. However, the Golden Pages is your friend.

Seriously - any decent butcher should be able to give you this cut of meat. When you next pass a butcher just pop in & ask. If they don't have it there & then, ask when they can get it for you.

I went into the above mentioned butchers in Rialto this afternoon. Talked to a lovely auld fella. He said they wouldn't routinely have brisket but could order it. He said that the reason brisket is popular in america and not so much here is that their cattle are alot larger so the brisket would be a bigger cut. I'll keep looking anyway. I'd imagine if they had to order it in it would cost more and i want to keep it cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

You should give them a ring back about that. I don't see why they'd charge you just for adding something to their standard order from the abattoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Superquinn always have it..I've got it there any time I needed it...I pay about 18 euro for 3/4 of a brisket which is all I can fit in my hot smoker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Superquinn always have it..I've got it there any time I needed it...I pay about 18 euro for 3/4 of a brisket which is all I can fit in my hot smoker

How long do you smoke it at and at what temp?

I don't usually have time to go low and slow so I use this metod http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html ...I use a slightly different rub and sauce though

Went to my local superquin today on military road, they had some good offers on meat but they didn't have any brisket. If you could let me know which superquin you found it in I'd be delighted,
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Moore Street in Dublin has a great butcher. (Actually two different ones)
    Forgot the names but it they are just either side of the East-facing door into the Ilac Centre.

They do all kinds of weird (non-supermarket) cuts like pigs trotters and head.

Superquinn lucan...if they don't have it in your one ask them to order it...I've never had a problem getting it off them...Ring that guy in rialto he usually has hard to get cuts too

Advertisement