Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm dreading the Inchadoney hill!

Options
  • 28-09-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

A new thread for me, as my old thread just reminds me of my injury. So fresh start!

My next target is the Clonakilty Half in December - it will be my first half, so very anxious.

Where am I at? Last LSR was 7 miles and man was it slow. So I am about half way in my training.

My aims:
    Finish the half! And set my PB :D
    Run more days than I dont
    Eat well
    Stay injury free!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Ok, so tonight I am heading out to the track with a friend for the first time :confused:. She is a very experienced runner so no bother to her. I on the other hand have zilch pace endurance. I guess I have to start somewhere.
    I'm getting a bit nervous now thinking about it!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Fair play and good luck!

Not as bad as I thought....the club I went to really looked after the slower runners. We did some 400's, about 8 min mile pace with a minute recovery. Our group managed 10, I only managed 4, but I am happy with that! Will keep going to that now once a week. Great to be around other runner's too.
    Trying to decide if I should rest tonight or not. Will see how I feel later. It would be nice to head out for an easy 3/4 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good to see you back, best of luck with the new goal

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Good luck with this, hopefully you can knock it on the head this time. And if worse comes to worse, keep coming back here, plenty of people to put you back on the right track here :D

• Advertisement

Didn't feel like, but head out anyway last night. Ended up doing a nice 4 miler at about a 10 min/mile which is good enough going for me.
    Legs are tired now so will take tonight off.
    This weekend is a step back week for me, so a 5 miler is all that is needed, maybe on Sunday

Clocked an 8 miler yesterday...man it was tough. I knew after a mile my legs were heavy and it was going to be a struggle. Oh well, done and dusted and under the belt.

Well done to all in the Cork to Cobh yesterday!!

I did the un-thinkable and ran this morning before work!! I am really bad at running in the morning or at lunch, so this is a road block I am trying to over come. Afterall - not many races after 6pm!

3 miles in the bag. Now, where's me porridge....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Well done on getting out before work. I tried it in my training for Galway Bay and I loved the feeling you get starting the day like that. It is something I am trying to start again now. A great start to the day and your evenings are your own!

Maddog....do you find it more difficult in the mornings at all? I find my legs are like lead, and 3 miles is an effort. I run way slower too. Where as in the evening, 3 miles would turn into 4 easily.

I do feel fantastic after it though, so fresh!

• Advertisement

I would do the morning runs the odd time and always feel a bit rusty going out, but great coming back.

But fair play, your making good progress so far I have to say.

backspacer wrote: »
    I would do the morning runs the odd time and always feel a bit rusty going out, but great coming back.

But fair play, your making good progress so far I have to say.

Thanks - I need to get the speed/speed endurance going though. At the moment my short runs would be at about a ten min mile (I'm getting the OH to get me a Garmin for xmas :D). My long run would be an 11 min mile if not more.

I hope the track on wed nights will bring me along.

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Thanks - I need to get the speed/speed endurance going though. At the moment my short runs would be at about a ten min mile (I'm getting the OH to get me a Garmin for xmas :D). My long run would be an 11 min mile if not more.

I hope the track on wed nights will bring me along.

Its a good steady pace you're doing, endurance is everything in a half marathon, so if you can keep a steady pace to knock up the miles then that will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Ya, I find my legs take a little longer to get going. It propably takes me at least 1.5 miles to get properly loose. I try to do at least 4 that way im gettin 2.5 miles of comfortable running in and dont feel like its a "bad" run.

It's been a busy once since I last posted, and the running suffered a bit. but it was a step back in week in my plan so not too worried.

Still sticking with the track sessions, finding them very hard but going to stick it out. It's very motivating to see the 'elite' doing their thing :)

Planning on heading out with the club on friday night to do some tempo sessions. Then a 9 miler on Sunday - dreading it!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Completed a 4 mile on friday night after work - felt great, good pace etc. The attempted my 9 miler on Sunday morning. Oh dear god.....I tucked my tail between my legs and headed home after 4 :mad:
    I just had no energy, short of breath, and zero concentration. It was soul destroying but I had to give up. I was on such a downer for the day. I've done 8 miles 2 weeks ago, last week was a taper week as such. I did feel a bit weak at the track as well on wed but I just thought 'oh well, and off night'. To make matters worse, my hip is playing up so need to go so my physio - but at least I know what that is and can deal with it.

Uuugghh...should I just write this off and try again?I dont know why I am so lacking in energy...I'm hydrated, fueled...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

Have you upped your weekly mileage a lot? remember, it's not just increasing your long run. If you've drastically increased your overall mileage for the week then you will find it tougher to churn out those long runs. You've mentioned track sessions in your earlier posts- when I first started doing speed sessions i found they really took the 'zip' out of my legs in the long runs.
    Are you hydrated enough? I know if I haven't been hydrating enough before a long run i will feel short of breath and heavy-legged.
    Are you doing long runs on your own? If there was any way you could hook up with someone even for a few miles in the middle it would spur you on to keep going.
    You still have time before the clon half to clock up a few long runs so don't worry at all. I did the clon half last year and am hoping to do it again.
    Good luck, stay positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Just taking look at the runclon site .... is the course really twice as hilly as the Connemarathon? That's how I read the mapmyrun stuff, but that looks savidge, in that case....

Was thinking about it as a fallback (have a cold coming up to DCM), but that hill's giving me cause for doubt!

Advertisement