Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Clinic Upsells/Ripoffs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I'm gonna look into this now, no really I will, sorry if this sound sarcastic- I'm right on it.

Start here:

http://www.dentalcouncil.ie/files/ionisingradiation/Protocols%20for%20Standard%20Radiological%20Practice%20-%20SI%20478%20of%202002.pdf

The full text can be found on RPII site.

OP, the dentist diagnosed ongoing pathology (decay) in your mouth, what if she had spotted a cancerous lesion?. Some dentists including myself will not do a scale & polish as a stand alone treatment for a new patient without an exam first as the diagnosis of pathology should come before the removal of pathological material from the mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I don't want crowns of any kind, I'm just pointing out that headline treatments are cheaper in the north (in general) and that's a well documented fact (just google it). I'm not giving out but you seem to be. I'm simply pointing out the fact that I didn't get what they advertised. But yes, you make a good point, taking advantage of the UK dental prices and combining that with a groupon deal with a good dentist should result in a great service (as advertised), an unbeatable price and well-deserved attention (if they want a recurring customer).

You say that I have to "choose either price or quality, you cannot have both"... of course I can have both, that's why successful dentists are successful, regardless of where they're based and that's why "people" like you, make statements like that. Which one are you so if you believe it's not possible to have a great service at a great price?

You have already found out that low price and quality dont go hand in hand. The best dentists dont need to groupon, the best dentists are not cheap. Good dentist dont do crowns for 350 euro or sterling equivalent, the best dentists have successful practices because they are good, not cause they are cheap. Cost and value are two different things, you have found this out yourself.

You you want to fraction out individual parts of treatment to many lowest bidders you will find you will not receive the best integrated long term treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

OP what would you have done if you got just your scale and polish and paid your €50 but noticed your lower front teeth were loose (they weren't like that when I went in?) you go to the local cafe to have a cuppa to think about what to do(oh that hot drink really hurts all my teeth!!) you pop into the loo to look at what has being done to you (oh my God my gums are raw and bleeding!!)
    I'm getting onto my solicitor that butcher has destroyed my gums and loosened my teeth - No you have chronic periodontal disease but don't know this cause you didn't want an exam or to be told if there was anything wrong!!!

Would you walk into your GP after 4 years and demand a new prescription for blood pressure tablets (cause that's all your paying!) and expect to get it without an examination?

The most likely reason the scale and polish is listed separately is for the patients who return on a frequent timescale eg every 6 months and have a low caries rate and who warrant an exam on a yearly basis.

Well I've never heard of such Dentists or people who've encountered such problems but maybe you so that does happen in 1% to 5% of cases if I had to guess. I wouldn't think what you've described is as common as certain Dentists (like other professionals) confirming that the client needs more/additional services than are genuinely required.

Don't GP's have a legal obligation to complete an exam based on what you state your symptoms are? I don't know of any GP's that you could go into and ask for any kindof medication and get it without an exam but that's all part of the visit to the doctor i.e. it's not charged separately.

That's a likely reason but is it the reason? How does any dentist know how often or which dentist any person visits? Nobody has to go to the same dentist all the time and it's easy to ask for a printout of the work which any dentist has carried out (basic listing with dates and treatment) and bring it along to another.

You have already found out that low price and quality dont go hand in hand. The best dentists dont need to groupon, the best dentists are not cheap. Good dentist dont do crowns for 350 euro or sterling equivalent, the best dentists have successful practices because they are good, not cause they are cheap. Cost and value are two different things, you have found this out yourself.

You you want to fraction out individual parts of treatment to many lowest bidders you will find you will not receive the best integrated long term treatment.

No I haven't found out anything!? The dentist completed the scale and polish and discussed possible further treatment but I'm asking is that the extent of the listed "Exam, Diagnosis and Treatment Plan". You make a very ignorant statement i.e. You know for a fact that regardless of economy, overheads, experience and reputation that every single good dentist, the world over is never cheap and they'll never do crowns for 350 euro (as you've completed extensive searching of pricing for all dentists in Northern and Southern Ireland) and that great dentists are always more expensive and that price and quality ALWAYS go hand in hand. Don't you think this is a very general statement from you about every other Dentist and the quality and pricing of their work i.e. the fact that you even make such a general statement is a reflection of what you believe and how you communicate with your clients.

I don't want to do anything, I'm simply questioning the services and treatments available and what should/can be expected in Dublin. Most people on here gave valuable and honest advice, not general sweeping statements about the dental industry and quality of work on the whole island of Ireland or anywhere else for that matter!

davo10 wrote: »
    Start here:

http://www.dentalcouncil.ie/files/ionisingradiation/Protocols%20for%20Standard%20Radiological%20Practice%20-%20SI%20478%20of%202002.pdf

The full text can be found on RPII site.

OP, the dentist diagnosed ongoing pathology (decay) in your mouth, what if she had spotted a cancerous lesion?. Some dentists including myself will not do a scale & polish as a stand alone treatment for a new patient without an exam first as the diagnosis of pathology should come before the removal of pathological material from the mouth.

That makes sense and I agree with what you've said so why can't that simply be part of any treatment or shouldn't it be a mandatory treatment?

• Advertisement

So you got a diagnosis and a verbal treatment plan? Is that not what was listed?
    I personally give any patient requiring further treatment a written treatment plan but I know many that just give verbal ones.

Btw If you thought you were entitled to the S&P for free due to your PRSI how come the examination wasn't covered?

Yes, on previous Dentists to other Dentists I would have received documentation on the Dentists proposed treatment plan for me and their diagnosis and that's handy for review to help plan further appointments and understand what the overall treatment will cost. Maybe it's just the way each Dentist carries out their respective treatment but it's difficult for the majority of people to remember and understand the Dentists diagnosis and what treatment plan they recommended.

The front office admin gave me the form to complete to check if I could reclaim the treatment (exam) on PRSI which I subsequently found out I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

great dentists are always more expensive and that price and quality ALWAYS go hand in hand. Don't you think this is a very general statement from you about every other Dentist and the quality and pricing of their work

Nice cars are expensive
    Nice houses are expensive
    You want the best lawyer, you'll pay more
    You want the best accountant €€€
    You want a five star hotel, big €€€€
    and on and on....

Why does it surprise you that a good dentist providing a good service is more expensive??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

No I haven't found out anything!?

Yeah I am getting that. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 AnonDentist

[

The front office admin gave me the form to complete to check if I could reclaim the treatment (exam) on PRSI which I subsequently found out I was.

Did the dentist give you back the money charged for the exam?

I agree that verbal treatment plans not being worth the paper they are written on.
    One practice I work in don't give printed treatment plans (still use paper charts etc) but I give ever patient a written plan with the cost of each treatment listed. As you said it can be difficult to remember everything especially if lingo is use.

Advertisement