Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiet Big Dogs

• 28-09-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Unfortunately we had to put down our family dog (Border Collie) today, he went for my Dad last week and my bro a few weeks before that.

Was talking to the vet and she explained that they are pretty hyperactive and more of a working dog.

I was just wondering what large dog would people recommend for around kids and the likes? We had a bit of a lab before, huge dog (oldest biggest dog the vet had seen at 14 years) that was a great guard dog but as quiet as a mouse.

I was looking at the alaskan malamute myself but after talking to the vet I reckon that's definitely off the cards??

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Mals are another high energy working breed.

How about a rescue Greyhound? Brilliant with kids, big gentle dogs and don't need too much exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

Thanks for the advice.

Not really gone on the look of greyhounds though? Always had german shepards and the likes so more used to that kind of look I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Go and meet some, they will win you over!

Otherwise I would suggest you go have a look in some of your local rescues. Lots of bigger dogs that people can't afford to keep or can't keep having moved to smaller accommodation in there looking for good homes.

http://www.irishanimals.ie/general/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Unfortunately we had to put down our family dog (Border Collie) today, he went for my Dad last week and my bro a few weeks before that.

Was talking to the vet and she explained that they are pretty hyperactive and more of a working dog.

I was just wondering what large dog would people recommend for around kids and the likes? We had a bit of a lab before, huge dog (oldest biggest dog the vet had seen at 14 years) that was a great guard dog but as quiet as a mouse.

I was looking at the alaskan malamute myself but after talking to the vet I reckon that's definitely off the cards??

Thanks
    Gary

German Sheps and the likes are also high energy dogs. you may get the odd older one that is more settled but any I have seen need substantial exercise and stimulation.
    I was never gone on the look of a greyhound until I met one, it is surprising how quick they get you on side!

You could always try calling some rescues and see if they have anything that fits the bill for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Retrievers are great, they will do need exercise, as does every dog, but generally are well tempered. Of course check for health issues or better yet get a cross. Our retriever/spaniel is the quietest, most placid dog in the world :D

Sorry to hear about your collie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

+ 1 for a Retreiver--

Our 10 mth old chap is 35kgs already :) Hugely loyal breed , manners to burn ( when trained well ) & super with kids .

Thanks for the advice! Looks like I'll be going down the lab/retreiver route all right. Shame about our dog but the vet said it's not the first time she's come across this in border collies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Or the St Bernard's or Bernese breeds or a cross - both lovely dogs - as they are large breed the amount of exercise they need is quite low.
    Just be wary of medical issues - so full breeder check is needed - and still get pet insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Id go for a German shepherd if i was you. They are very loyal and excellent with kids. They really don't need massive amounts of exercise as they are quite placid. They do love stimulation and company though!

Those Bernese look lovely all right, I've heard that the cross are healthier than the purebreds? Also what's the life expectancy for the bernese?? They are placid too ya??

• Advertisement

Expectancy is low I am afraid - v large breed - so not good - around 8 years.
    Very placid except when playing....
    Have 2 St Bernese - like big children that now are both able to pull me - so early and consistent training is key.

Very placid - but background is guard-dogs - protecting the home - so don't make our mistake - if you go that route get them used very young to people visitng / calling to the door :)

Always thought X were meant to be healthier - but in our case we still got the hip issue... Think it came from the father as the mother was clear. Brilliant dogs though, very affectionate and loving. Rarely have to do time-outs, but huge walks are out for us - max 30 minutes - very easy to overdo it so we have to be careful.

Best of luck in whatever breed you choose though :)

Oh one thing - we have 2 for company.
    Quiet except when playing - then you would swear you have 2 live walrus' in your home - unbelievable.
    Also snoring rattles the roof slates and they have silent but deadly farts - not good when you are travelling or on a hot day...

Ours are quite good for not barking too much - except in the evening when some of the local dogs start - one and mainly one will just let a huge deep woof every 30 seconds as a kind of "hi - anyone there" - we don't need to worry about fireworks - their barks would drown them out...

Taltos wrote: »
    Always thought X were meant to be healthier - but in our case we still got the hip issue... Think it came from the father as the mother was clear. Brilliant dogs though, very affectionate and loving. Rarely have to do time-outs, but huge walks are out for us - max 30 minutes - very easy to overdo it so we have to be careful.

Time outs???? :)

Ya the life expectancy might be an issue though so I'll have to look into it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

+1 Golden Retriever Female that my parents have and I'm looking after it for a month for them and no bother from the dog really.

It only barks quietly to get doors open and if a toy is out of reach, usually lets looks at the toy or door first and lets out a few growls first :D

Otherwise it barks a little louder to get back inside if outside so we can hear it ;)

Dad took it to training for first few months we had her and we got one of the fenceless collar type things to keep her on property and she learned very fast off that where not to go. Think she only shocked about 3 times in total before we stopped putting it on her. Sometimes she will chance her arm but she has learnt that the collar is the trick but can't quite tell if she is wearing it or not so if she starts chancing it, we can put it on her for a day or two and she will behave again (we have a fence but there is hole through to neighbours and they have a little dog).

I was skeptical about the whole collar thing but it worked out very well for this dog. I thought it might take a lot of shocking for them and might be a bit cruel but nope. Even my dad got shocked by it once :P

Golden Retriever, great dog.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Time outs???? :)
    I know - but it works - all about being 100% consistent in whatever route you take.
    We have never ever hit our dogs - we have one or two key words and as a final last resort we use the time-out - in the last year have only had to use it maybe 3 times tops...
    Not sure about other breeds but the St Bernese is very intelligent for somethings, lazy with others though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I'm sorry, but I just have to ask, what is a St Bernese?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

ISDW wrote: »

Wondering that myself.

Also OP, please do not fall for the trap of crossbreeds supposedly being healthier than pedigrees, there's no truth in it. Instead of possibly getting the inherited problems of one breed, you'll be getting problems from both and it can end up costing you thousands. Not to mention that no responsible breeder will be cross breeding. Best to try a rescue center, there are plenty of big quiet dogs who need loving homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Beautiful picture ; that is a deer? Isn't it!?
    : 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

If you like big digs this won't sound as mad as if you're used to yorkies! I know two people who have Irish Wolfhounds and who swear by them being gentle, docile, low energy and with beautiful temperaments. One has kids; one had about 5 younger siblings.

Also: for gentle giants ( literally) there's the couch potato great dane; apparently they literally snooze about all day and take only a 20 minute walk. Again, like the ark I know two different people who have them and kids ( one has 5 yr old twins) and they swear by them.

My final vote of the night goes to the old English sheepdog; which, although mega hairy; apparently don't shed!!! And are long tome pets of our neighbours. Loved to death!!!!

Best of luck. And I'm very very sorry to hear about your pet.

I had to google it too

http://breederinfocenter.com/index.php?c=Saint+Bernese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I'm still not getting the "time-outs" thing..

OP I have a rottie, he is very quiet, I suppose he is a big fella, I still see him as average in size as I meet some retreivers and big lab's who are bigger than he is. He is very placid, great with my little boy and all other kids we meet while out on walks.

oops :eek: I forgot for a second there... Ive 2 rottie's now haha the little queen is now lying at my feet (i am so biased, but they really are the best dogs in the world!!)

ppink wrote: »

Oh, so its a cross of a St Bernard and a Bernese? Not a breed in other words, just another way of describing a particular cross.

And this is one of the reasons I've stopped coming in here and posting, knew I should have stayed away today.

garkane wrote: »
    I'm still not getting the "time-outs" thing..

I think its where you find they have destroyed or eaten something and you have to take yourself outside the door for 10 mins of breath holding in case of exploding:p:p
    Oh, so its a cross of a St Bernard and a Bernese? Not a breed in other words, just another way of describing a particular cross.

And this is one of the reasons I've stopped coming in here and posting, knew I should have stayed away today.

thats what it looks like, unless a mistaken name?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

great dane.jpg
    quiet,and lazy as fuc@k,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Collies do make good family pets! It's all down to training. You could get yourself any kind of dog but if there's no training it can turn out to be a handful.
    So before choosing a breed make sure there's a good dog trainer in the area that uses only humane methods.

I'm suprised at some of the suggestions on here some of which are working breeds..that's where the problem started according to op.
    You can get a placid breed but if the work isn't put in any dog can turn out to be a narky pants.

I think its where you find they have destroyed or eaten something and you have to take yourself outside the door for 10 mins of breath holding in case of exploding:p:p

thats what it looks like, unless a mistaken name?

I don't understand, what do you mean? It is a cross between a St Bernard and a Bernese moutain dog - hence St Bernese. That link you put up says that what it is, a cross.

I don't understand, what do you mean? It is a cross between a St Bernard and a Bernese moutain dog - hence St Bernese. That link you put up says that what it is, a cross.

sory I meant unless Taltos has the wrong name and means a Bernese Mountain dog

sory I meant unless Taltos has the wrong name and means a Bernese Mountain dog

Oh right sorry, crossed wires:) Hmmm, wonder what you'd call a wire terrier cross?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭too little too late

How about a Newfie? Big gentle giants. Great with kids and very loyal. Don't need much exercise, just two short walks a day. They love swimming too.

176177.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Collies do make good family pets! It's all down to training. You could get yourself any kind of dog but if there's no training it can turn out to be a handful.
    So before choosing a breed make sure there's a good dog trainer in the area that uses only humane methods.

I'm suprised at some of the suggestions on here some of which are working breeds..that's where the problem started according to op.
    You can get a placid breed but if the work isn't put in any dog can turn out to be a narky pants.

+1

OP you need to understand where you went wrong with the last dog, all dogs need training and direction or they won't know what is or isn't acceptable behaviour. You have to be willing and prepared to put the work in. I would recommend a young adult or older dog that has already had some basic training, has been taught bite inhibition and is past the difficult adolescent stage. I hate to see the same thing happen again, which it will do if you take on a pup of any breed and don't do the necessary groundwork.

When my dog was a pup I often used the technique of putting her behind a closed door for 5 seconds when she got too hyper, worked a treat, I suppose this could be called a time-out which is possibly what the other poster meant.

Advertisement