Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using two Broadband wireless routers

• 28-09-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi All
    is it possible to use two eircom broadband routers as i have one downstairs but i can not get wireless up stairs so i taught if i plugged a second one upstairs it might work.. Can anyone help me please..
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭carveone

If you mean two adsl modems on one physical line the answer is no. Same as if you had two dial up modems. You'd have to add another phone line to your house to do this.

In essence, you'll have to connect the two routers together with Cat5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there is an option on some wireless routers called WDS that allows for 2 or more wireless routers to create a wireless bridge between them to extend the range of the network as a whole.

the downsides are that not all router shave the feature (google your router model number and 'WDS' to find out) and for each router you add to the WDS config, you will half the overall speed of your wireless network for all devices connected to it, so for two routers 54mbps becomes 27mbps and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bruffkid

Thanks for the info so what would be my best options..?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if there's no WDS option on your routers (both would need to have it for it to work), then you'll either want to run an ethernet cable from one location to the other and connect them using that (this is what i did, with about 20m of cable going out of a hole in the downstairs window frame and along the underside of a gutter and up a drain pipe before going back in via a hole in the upstairs window frame), or you could buy a pair of 200mbps homeplugs and use those instead of drilling holes in your house, but the speed will be nowhere near the same, particularly if you're crossing from your downstairs circuit to the upstairs one (assuming your up & down plug sockets are on a separate fuse in your fusebox?).

just as an FYI, I have some of the overclockers homeplugs on part of my LAN and i get roughly 25mbps out of them on a good day.

Advertisement