Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beta Graphics Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

@ Syco my old rig is similar specs to yours, its now in the hands of my young lad.

Q6600
    4Gig DDR2
    HD 4870

Nothing is overclocked.
    Best tip i can offer is make sure you turn off that ambient occlusion , i found it the single biggest hog on the sons rig.
    It can run the game with everything on medium @ 1920X1080 @ about 45-60 fps ambient occlusion is turned off.
    Dopping to low doesnt make much difference in how the game looks but improves fps by about 10-15 fps.
    Dont just use one of the preset options like low ,medium, high etc, make sure AA and ambient occlusion is off, it smoothens out things dramatically on older rigs.

No such problems on my rig, glorious framerate at the beta`s highest settings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dcully wrote: »
    Best tip i can offer is make sure you turn off that ambient occlusion
    Aye, seen that in the past.

176854.jpg

Ran it for medium for a while, and then ran it on high. Both using the presets. It handled medium okay, but after a bit on high, it started giving graphical glitches, probably when it hit 80 degrees.

Turning it down to medium didn't do anything as by this time, the card was already hot.

Will probably go the cheap option and get a Zalman cooler for the 4870.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Scruff wrote: »
    is there any point even bothering to download with these laptop specs?

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GHz, 2667 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Graphics Adapter Description NVIDIA NVS 3100M,512.00 MB

will it run at 1024x768, no AA ?

everything on low
    hitting the dizzying heights of 14FPS!!!!
    lol. cry.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What drivers are you using? You can use Geforce drivers and it'll rebadge your card to a G210M. Should be able to do 30fps at least. Have a dual core laptop with a similar card on my wife's laptop, hits 25-30fps. Looks about the same as the 360 version except at a lower resolution :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

What drivers are you using? You can use Geforce drivers and it'll rebadge your card to a G210M. Should be able to do 30fps at least. Have a dual core laptop with a similar card on my wife's laptop, hits 25-30fps. Looks about the same as the 360 version except at a lower resolution :P

I find everything on low including the aa stuff on the same res as my tv 1336 x 720 or something looks infinitely better than the 360.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

dazftw wrote: »
    I find everything on low including the aa stuff on the same res as my tv 1336 x 720 or something looks infinitely better than the 360.

And whats your system specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Athlon II x4 645 @ 3.8Ghz
    4GB DDR2
    HD4870 805/1100

Have it running 1366x768, and everything on low, get anywhere from 30-70fps

Outside at last mcoms though it dies a death, drops to low 20's.

Seeing as you guys with 4870's seem to be doing better, I might have to change a few things.

Dcully / Syco - what drivers are you using? I'm on the 11.10 BF3 beta's, but might get better performance on older ones

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Athlon II x4 645 @ 3.8Ghz
    4GB DDR2
    HD4870 805/1100

<snip>

Dcully / Syco - what drivers are you using? I'm on the 11.10 BF3 beta's, but might get better performance on older ones
    11.10 beta. 4870 fan on 100% when running BF3 Beta. It's the Club3D "factory overclocked" version if it makes any difference. Also have 4GB DDR2, but my Q9550 quad only runs at 2.83Ghz.

TY Syco.

Must have a look and see if I can fix this :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

New AMD beta drivers out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Anyone using crossfire and the Radeon Pro program?
    Just wondering about the crossfire usage display in-game, does the red on the bar represent how much is being used or how much isn't?
    Hope you understand the question! For instance in Battlefield the red is about 25% on each bar/card, and I am wondering if that means only 50% of the crossfire setup is being used overall?!

Wow.

Just played a bit of Caspian on a 32 player server. NO LAG whatsoever!

The engine really does look amazing, even on low.

Here's some screenies on a HD4870, low settings.
    29a24.jpg
    6a475.jpg
    39130.jpg
    85860.jpg

All shots resiszed from 1920x1080

Just checked it by disabling crossfire and trying a game, the red bar now displays about 60% usage.
    Which means Battlefield 3 beta is using just about 50% of my cards. :(

Disabled crossfire in Red Orchestra 2 and fps increased by 25! Went from 40% usage over two cards to 65% on one.

Dropping resolution from 1920x1080 to 1680x1050 resulted exactly no fps change, something must be wrong here!
    Guess I'll hope full release fixes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

the_syco wrote: »
    I find the "auto" setting to be sh|tty, as it set most of my settings to "high", with a few mediums.

1GB HD 4870
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz

I forgot what res it's at; I never looked :o FPS is 38-50.

It ran pretty much okay, but when my system (and the room I was in) heated up a bit, graphical glitches started to appear on the screen. Set most graphics to medium, and it works better.

Im gettin 20 as average, with basically the same settup

1GB HD 4870x2
    4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Intel Core 2 x6800 Extreme

Have 2 gfx cards, new Ram, new Mobo and new Cpu on order thought to run as crossfire (2x 6870), hopefully should sort it.

Strange thing is, I get slightly more FPS with everything on High atm @ 1650x1080 than everything on Low @ a lower res.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

the_syco wrote: »
    11.10 beta. 4870 fan on 100% when running BF3 Beta. It's the Club3D "factory overclocked" version if it makes any difference. Also have 4GB DDR2, but my Q9550 quad only runs at 2.83Ghz.

Cully, what drivers is your sons rig on ?

I was on 11.9, , just upgraded to 11.10, will try it in a bit see if it makes any difference

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Cully, what drivers is your sons rig on ?

I was on 11.9, , just upgraded to 11.10, will try it in a bit see if it makes any difference

Hes on the latest drivers whatever they are, i keep them up to date via steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

getting approx 150fps at 2560x1600.
    Running Core i7 950 + 2x 5870s on 11.10 betas.
    Very happy with system performance...was tempted to upgrade but now don't see the point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    getting approx 150fps at 2560x1600.
    Running Core i7 950 + 2x 5870s on 11.10 betas.
    Very happy with system performance...was tempted to upgrade but now don't see the point :)

Interesting, I have an i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz and 2x OC'd 6950s on 11.10 betas and my frame rate at 2560x1440 would drop drastically from between high and ultra, even at high I was getting lots of weird flickering so I turned it down to medium. I will have to look further into it if it's not fixed with the full release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Hi there,

Mate at work wanting to know if this game would run BF3? Apologies for asking but I HAVE NO IDEA (he asked me cos I have BF3 preordered...but on PS3)

http://www.eurieka.ie/scp/Computers_%26_Laptops/products.asp?partno=XT332EA%23ABU

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Not a hope, it's got a weak dual core CPU and crappy intel graphics.
    The PSU is only 220W so you can't put a decent GPU into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

5uspect wrote: »
    Not a hope, it's got a weak dual core CPU and crappy intel graphics.
    The PSU is only 220W so you can't put a decent GPU into it.

Thanks, all that means nothing to me though.. may as well say "akkoqwdnnzoeneoofdoeofoefof" :)

Can you provide a link of a really good PC so he can at least then know the price of playing BF3?

You can build a budget gaming PC for less than that. The Building and Upgrading forum is where its at :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

mozattack wrote: »
    Thanks, all that means nothing to me though.. may as well say "akkoqwdnnzoeneoofdoeofoefof" :)

Can you provide a link of a really good PC so he can at least then know the price of playing BF3?

Such questions are better off in PC Building and Upgrading.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

mozattack wrote: »

Basically the processor is too weak and so is the graphics card.

What settings do you want to run it at?For 500 euro you can get something that will run it fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

Really wanna play the game, but rather skint lately so a full upgrade is out of the question.

At the moment I have...

C2D E8400 3.00GHz
    4gigs of corsair DDR2 ram
    MSI Radeon 4870 512mb
    MSI P35 Neo Combo motherboard
    Corsair 550w PSU
    22" monitor at 1680x1050

would I be right in assuming that I would only chug along with 20fps?

perhaps I'd be better off waiting till next year when the game is cheaper and hopefully I have some savings?

richiek wrote: »
    Really wanna play the game, but rather skint lately so a full upgrade is out of the question.

At the moment I have...

C2D E8400 3.00GHz
    4gigs of corsair DDR2 ram
    MSI Radeon 4870 512mb
    MSI P35 Neo Combo motherboard
    Corsair 550w PSU
    22" monitor at 1680x1050

would I be right in assuming that I would only chug along with 20fps?

perhaps I'd be better off waiting till next year when the game is cheaper and hopefully I have some savings?

Game should run fine at medium/high at about 40fps

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

Enderman wrote: »
    Game should run fine at medium/high at about 40fps

Really?! you sir have made my day!

is there a way i could try the beta version on my machine first? legally of course

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

richiek wrote: »
    Really?! you sir have made my day!

is there a way i could try the beta version on my machine first? legally of course

Beta ended two weeks ago.

Advertisement