Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beta Graphics Thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭richiek

ah, damn, guess I'll just order it and hope so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

I dunno if I'm the only one but I found the performance relatively poor on my 4890. Playing on medium settings with a Phenom ii 965 I was only getting ~20fps on the last section of Metro, the other sections were better but still disappointing. I hope AMD releases some drivers which help improve performance on 4800 series when the game goes live...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I dunno if I'm the only one but I found the performance relatively poor on my 4890. Playing on medium settings with a Phenom ii 965 I was only getting ~20fps on the last section of Metro, the other sections were better but still disappointing. I hope AMD releases some drivers which help improve performance on 4800 series when the game goes live...

That's most definitely a driver problem. My mate has a 5770 (slower than a 4890) and an E8400, he managed about 45fps averaged through the entire level.

well I ordered it this morning, It was inevitable that I was going to get it at some point anyway. :)

shall report back with performance when it arrives.

Enderman wrote: »
    That's most definitely a driver problem. My mate has a 5770 (slower than a 4890) and an E8400, he managed about 45fps averaged through the entire level.

That's promising at least. Was thinking I would have to upgrade to a 6850 or something and sell my 4890, which would be a shame seeing as the card's been fine with other games. I noticed in the new Catalyst 11.10 beta drivers that improvements has been made for the 4800 series in Rage but was still only saying BF3 optimizations for 5000 and 6000 series cards.

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, would it be worth my while upgrading my graphics card at all? or would I have to get a new power supply too, which while im at it may as well get a whole new machine.

something like one of the newer 6770 cards? Its been a long time since I've looked at new graphics cards.

something like this?
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46802&agid=1004

richiek wrote: »
    Just out of interest, would it be worth my while upgrading my graphics card at all? or would I have to get a new power supply too, which while im at it may as well get a whole new machine.

something like one of the newer 6770 cards? Its been a long time since I've looked at new graphics cards.

something like this?
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46802&agid=1004

Power supply wise you'll probably be fine as the new cards actually consume less power I believe. A 6850 is very good value and can be gotten on amazon for around €135 with free shipping. I'm told it could get around 60 fps on high with a decent cpu in the beta. I don't think the 6770 is too much of a upgrade on a 4870.

Power supply wise you'll probably be fine as the new cards actually consume less power I believe. A 6850 is very good value and can be gotten on amazon for around €135 with free shipping. I'm told it could get around 60 fps on high with a decent cpu in the beta. I don't think the 6770 is too much of a upgrade on a 4870.

Cheers, really appreciate the advice. I'm quite literally clueless with all this stuff at the moment.

Advertisement