Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NSAI Fire Alarm

Options
  • 28-09-2011 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Guys
    Some guy in the wholesaler told me yesterday that from now on to install and commission fire alarms you need to be registered with NSAI.
    I hadn't heard does anyone know if it is true
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

last couple of jobs i did bout a yr ago

i got one company design and commission
    and i did install

dunno has it changed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Guys
    Some guy in the wholesaler told me yesterday that from now on to install and commission fire alarms you need to be registered with NSAI.
    I hadn't heard does anyone know if it is true
    Thanks

I never heard this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

M cebee wrote: »
    last couple of jobs i did bout a yr ago

i got one company design and commission
    and i did install

dunno has it changed
    +1

In the past I used a fire alarm company to certify my fire alarm systems.
    They were delighted as they ended up getting maintenance contracts as result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Design is the most important anyhow

to the new standards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You have to be registered with PSA and for that you need the NSAI certification.

http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/newsitems/09CA354A4BCA6391802577C1004F2922/$file/IAS FAQs for consumers Oct '10.pdf

Installing house alarms or supplying house alarm gear if you are not registered is a criminal offense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rum and coke

We were talking about fire alarms.
    As a matter of interest what are the consequences of installing an intruder alarm in say ur own house or a mates house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Sorry, I should pay attention. My mistake.

You can install an intruder alarm in your own house, but not in a mate's house, strictly speaking. You might want to get him to make the final connection himself ...

a.

We were talking about fire alarms.
    As a matter of interest what are the consequences of installing an intruder alarm in say ur own house or a mates house

You are permitted to install an intruder alarm in your own home without being licensed by the PSA. After that you move into a very grey area.......

As far as I know there is no requirement to be licensed with the PSA in order to sell intruder alarm equipment. I am open to correction on this, but I know staff at a well known electrical wholesalers and I am quite sure they are not with the PSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You don't need a licence to sell intruder equipment. You do need a licence to install an alarm for profit in otherwords, you can install an alarm in your mates house but once you don't profit from it you are not breaking any laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

You have to be registered with PSA and for that you need the NSAI certification.

You can be certified to EN50131, SR40 with any certification body to get your PSA licence, not just the NSAI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement