Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does any Pet-Shop sell "damaged" goods for a discounted price?

• 28-09-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Does any Pet-Shop sell "damaged" goods for a discounted price?

Am working with an animal rescue group ( MODS don't worry wont mention any names! :)

I need to get a good few things, crates, beds, bowls, leads , collers etc that I can distribute to fostercarers who take a dog on for us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I don't think so, I only know of food at discounted prices for rescues on the likes of dogfooddirect.ie

You could be ballsy though and give them a call and ask. I know when I was getting my rescue dog I went into my local pet shop and asked for anything they could give me to give to the rescue. I got a big bag of treats/food samples/toys but no basics like beds/bowls unfortunately.

Maybe approach the likes of a big chain and ask them for goods at a discounted price in return for good pr from the rescue? You never know, if you don't ask you wont get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

I thought maybe you were looking for a mouse with three legs or a hamster with a lazy eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Not in donegal anyway. to be fair, from someone who worked in a pet shop, any things that were damaged in our shop were put towards the animals in the shop. I was known to "damage" certain hamster and rabbit treats at xmas for xmas day dinner! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Most damaged stock would either be returned to the suppliers, used in the shop or possibly donated to rescue, depending on the shop and how the goods got damaged.

Your best bet would probably be to get on to some of the suppliers and ask them if they would have any damaged stock that they might sell or donate to rescue. In my experience crates don't tend to get damaged too often, so I would be very surprised if you were to pick any of them up this way though. Depending on the supplier, it might be possible to set up an account for the rescue and buy stuff wholesale either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

These crates are brand new and in the smaller sizes are selling at less than half price...

http://www.jebbtools.ie/Category/Dog-crates?gclid=CL_79NW55aoCFZRc4Qodu3ha5w

I supose you wont get much cheaper then that... :D

To answer your question directly though I dont know of any places that sell damaged stock at lowered rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Dog bowls are cheap to get, try the 2Euro shops, some have stainless steel bowls for 2 Euro..they're for baking etc. but you could use them easily as dog bowls. They usually have plastic bowls as well.

One idea would be to see if a pet shop or supermarket would allow you to have a little basket where people can buy an item on the list and donate to to the rescue by placing it in the basket and then you collect it once a week.

Maxi Zoo do this for local rescues, it's very handy for people to donate there's no pressure usually I only have a couple of quid so I drop a wee thing of cat milk or bit of food or some treats in it but it all adds up if the occasional customer drops something in it.

A local food/collar drive at a local school might help, where kids bring in just one item be it a ball, bowl, tin of dog food, old blankets etc. kids love doing it and it doesn't put parents under too much pressure because they might even have a ball or spare bowl at home and it's not going to break the bank for them to buy a tin of dog food or a collar.

Advertisement