Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First sex toy advert to be aired in UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

livinsane wrote: »
    Very funny Southpark episode about that product. Don't think the real one jizzes in your face though.

Doesn't give you cab fare either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

to be honest, i think its a cringeworthy idea, i know there are adverts for sex toys only just a click away on the internet, but i think this is only the thin end of the wedge, a year from now, they'll be showing instructional videos and all ffs!

there are those that will scream for the government to stay out of their bedroom, well i'd just as soon have desperate marketing executives stay out of my bedroom too!

if i need a vibrator, i know where to get one, and there are many available of all shapes, sizes and indeed various functions, so i have no problem asking the shop assistant for her advice when i need to buy one, (i've been known to buy them as jokey birthday presents for female friends), but the idea of them being advertised on tv makes me just, well, not uncomfortable, but it's like the same feeling i have when i see an advert for female sanitary products, and they do all the "look how it absorbs water", it fúcking doesn't absorb water, we all know what it does, we all know where to get them, it's probably the mental imagery it conjures up is what makes me cringe...

perhaps im just missing the point, but to me it's just a desperate marketing attempt, like that advertising campaign a while ago for the morning after pill manufactured by some company- the usual "stir up a bit of controversy, controversy = publicity, publicity = free advertising!", i don't hear anything about that particular product now, so i imagine this will probably go the same way, and the publicity will soon die down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

smash wrote: »
    they're called ads... :P
    smash wrote: »
    wrong isle :D
    They're called "aisles".
    xsiborg wrote: »
    ...but i think this is only the thin end of the wedge, a year from now, they'll be showing instructional videos and all ffs!
    No they won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...a year from now, they'll be showing instructional videos and all ffs!

I seriously doubt that!

...i'd just as soon have desperate marketing executives stay out of my bedroom too!
    They are in your bedroom anyway when they want to sell other body products besides condoms and sanitary goods.

...the idea of them being advertised on tv makes me just, well, not uncomfortable...
    Thats fair enough - but that's you - not everyone.
    ....I imagine this will probably go the same way, and the publicity will soon die down.
    It in all honesty, probably will. Such is life - it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Biggins wrote: »
    Personally it don't bother me. I've no embarrassment in saying that my wife and I sex life is enhanced by such items.

Ah here, I just had me dinner....

the damn thing's not going to settle for the night now.....:mad:

• Advertisement

Ah here, I just had me dinner....

the damn thing's not going to settle for the night now.....:mad:

LOL :pac:

Just hang on a minute and I'll give you a personal demonstration with the wife, via webcam while your eating desert! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

They have had adverts with sex toys on UK and Irish tv before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just hang on a minute and I'll give you a personal demonstration with the wife, via webcam while your eating desert! :D
    That's my food intake for the week fcuked now, ta......
    They have had adverts with sex toys on UK and Irish tv before.
    That's right, I wasn't dreaming...
    and what about the ads for the Durex Gel...
    (I nearly said Dulux...)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lukeage

I want Pele back on my screen promoting erectile dysfunction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

They've been advertising fruit and veg for years.

The aul fruit\veg\fist has done a perfectly adequate job thus far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Meh, as long as its at nighttime hours and not when the little ones are around watching tv its grand. Leaning towards the mid night hours would be appropriate. If I was a teen again, sitting down watching the late late or something and seeing an ad for such a thing whilst in the room with my parents would prob have left me gagging in a cushion cringing. haha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm all for progress and stuff but I can already see the awkward scene: sitting down to watch TV with my dad and BAM! ad for a vibrator appears on screen, cheesy music and all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Never mind the ad they have a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FWReqkTWfA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The first sex toy advert is to be aired in the UK - under standard TV rules and NOT before early evening viewing.

It's not actually the first time a sex toy has been advertised on British TV - Durex have been advertising their "vibrating ring" on telly for a few years now.

Bit of lazy journalism from the journal.ie there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Lukeage wrote: »
    I want Pele back on my screen promoting erectile dysfunction!
    What's so good about erectile dysfunction?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

LOL :pac:

Listen buddy, spare us the details ok.

So you are an uninhibited swinger with a broad taste in sexual preferences.

Eh.... I doubt it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

spare us the details ok.

ah come on now flutt, you're a fine one to be talking about sparing people the details! :D

i for one welcome our new webcam oralords! :p

Some women just sit on the washing machine while it's on the fast spin cycle. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

These sex toys are rampant across all mediums it seems. Although to be perfectly honest I can't see how people could fault it at this point. It's classier than the sex line ads. :D Just remembered this classy ikea one. :D

Listen buddy, spare us the details ok.

So you are an uninhibited swinger with a broad taste in sexual preferences.

Eh.... I doubt it. :rolleyes:

LOL I wouldn't be that cruel to the world.
    Ye would never look again at a computer screen in case you might see something so horrfying as myself in action! :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Once read an article in Cosmo re packing for business trip...the tip for those who did not have the courage to bring their flexible friend in their luggage through the airport was.............

Electric toothbrush....remove the brush section and replace with sponge..voila..DIY Vibrator, pardon the pun;)

It works :p:o;):D

Never felt the same about that toothbrush tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ah sure they've been advertising electric toothbrushes on TV for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭zyxwvu

Yes I would object to it... kids these days are growing up with their brains melted from all the smut that's available to them on their own personal laptops and on cable tv.. the idea of a 5/6/7 year old boy or girl seeing an ad for this sort of thing on late night telly is quite depressing and dystopian from my perspective.. it would have freaked the **** out of me as a kid anyway, disturbed me even. And I know people will say it's the parents responsibility to make sure they aren't up late watching tv but of course some kids will see the ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

My brother goes around with this durex branded bean thing in his pocket, showin it off like

"Sniff it!!" fück off.. Keep it on the bedroom :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

they've been advertising them for ages. just under a guise...

I love this gif. Just sums it up really. (SFW) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Bonavox wrote: »
    See no problem with it, it's a good sign for moving forward.
    Korvanica wrote: »
    Step in the right direction, cant wait to hear about all the calls and complaints they get..

I don't really get this attitude.

To view this as "moving forward" or a "step in the right direction" exhibits a certain persecution complex IMO.
    It's like some people believe we are living in a sexually oppressive society and this is some sort of a progressive move...
    It's not... it's just another Ad for something.

My own problem with this would be that parents have enough stuff to be shielding young kids from these days.
    No matter how discreet these Ads are kids will be curious as to what they are about.

However, companies are entitled to advertise what they want as long as it stays within guidelines/regulations.

The Durex Play ads are quite well done and have never seen them on before 11.

As long as it's kept away from Kids (on after 11)... no problem for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

mossyc123 wrote: »
    I don't really get this attitude.

To view this as "moving forward" or a "step in the right direction" exhibits a certain persecution complex IMO.
    It's like some people believe we are living in a sexually oppressive society and this is some sort of a progressive move...
    It's not... it's just another Ad for something.

My own problem with this would be that parents have enough stuff to be shielding young kids from these days.
    No matter how discreet these Ads are kids will be curious as to what they are about.

However, companies are entitled to advertise what they want as long as it stays within guidelines/regulations.

The Durex Play ads are quite well done and have never seen them on before 11.

As long as it's kept away from Kids (on after 11)... no problem for me.

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself. As it goes there are a number of channels who run the ads late at night with the scantily clad young one inviting you to "call and chat" wearing Penny's best and making the most of her implants. As long as these are aired after the watershed it is most certainly the responsibility of the parent to shield their children from such marketing.

There she is again...really that ad just came on the TV:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

No problem with it whatsoever. Still, have to say, I found it a bit surreal the first time I saw an ad for Durex Play there a while ago. Complete with "Durex. Love sex." :eek:

I see the point of posters saying "Awkward, what if I'm at my parents'?"
    That'd be a fairly uncomfortable... 45 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don Draper likes this.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Back withanotheroneathose, cockblocking beats

Advertisement