Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First sex toy advert to be aired in UK

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

El Weirdo wrote: »
    They're called "aisles".

Touché

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Another first:

K-Y (Gel) will air its first advert featuring a lesbian couple
    K-Y Brand has decided to feature a lesbian couple in its latest advertising campaign. The company, which has always supported gay rights, will launch the new advert from September 5. It shows couple Alex and Emma who are in the bedroom talking about their relationship and how they've managed to stay together.
    Alex tells the viewer she believes the key to their success as a couple is communication, oh and K-Y Intense - according to Emma. Cue the fireworks followed by a shot of the pair collapsed in bed.
    The gel promises to make that 'big moment even bigger' and is specifically aimed at women.

K-Y Brand said it made the decision to create the ad because they had been a long-time supporter of gay and lesbian couples but had never featured two females as part of their advertising campaign.
    A spokesman said: 'Since 1998, [KY-Brand] has sponsored dozens of LBGT and HIV/AIDS organisations and has also participated at LGBT Pride celebrations and other community events.
    'Gay male couples have been featured in print advertising since 2008 and now the brand is continuing its tradition of support and visibility with advertising that is inclusive of lesbian couples.'
    More here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2033294/K-Y-air-advert-featuring-lesbian-couple.html#ixzz1ZQwqPPrM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't think they should advertise sex toys on television. Who wants the embarrassment of sitting around with their family when one of them comes on? If someone wants information about them they can look them up on the internet in private. Why does 'moving forward' have to mean that an embarrassing advertisement can pop up on television at any time? Who wants to be watching Die Hard 2 with their parents and see a nine inch glass dildo advertised during the ad break? Isn't the fact that sex toys are available in Ireland enough without forcing it in peoples faces?

Also it's not the first sex toy advertisement. There was a Durex vibrating ring (for your finger) that was heavily advertised a couple of years ago. In the advertisement a couple were eating dinner and the man produced a box containing this ring. The woman said "I do" and they got up from the table. It was embarrassing to watch if you were sitting around with other family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

No problem with it whatsoever. Still, have to say, I found it a bit surreal the first time I saw an ad for Durex Play there a while ago. Complete with "Durex. Love sex." :eek:

I see the point of posters saying "Awkward, what if I'm at my parents'?"
    That'd be a fairly uncomfortable... 45 seconds?

Just like the real thing!:eek:

Isn't the fact that sex toys are available in Ireland enough without forcing it in peoples faces?

That's not where they go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I don't think they should advertise sex toys on television. Who wants the embarrassment of sitting around with their family when one of them comes on? If someone wants information about them they can look them up on the internet in private. Why does 'moving forward' have to mean that an embarrassing advertisement can pop up on television at any time? Who wants to be watching Die Hard 2 with their parents and see a nine inch glass dildo advertised during the ad break? Isn't the fact that sex toys are available in Ireland enough without forcing it in peoples faces?

Also it's not the first sex toy advertisement. There was a Durex vibrating ring (for your finger) that was heavily advertised a couple of years ago. In the advertisement a couple were eating dinner and the man produced a box containing this ring. The woman said "I do" and they got up from the table. It was embarrassing to watch if you were sitting around with other family members.

Why is it embarrassing? You need to grow up a bit in my opinion. Everything you said is so backwards and old fashioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Brand Republic reports that fans of the Real Housewives of New York will get the first glimpse of the ad during the programme’s commercial breaks on October 3 at 10.15am.
    The advertisement will also be seen on ITV2, Living, MTV, E4 and E Entertainment.
    This is the sort of crap people should be embarrassed about watching - not the ads in between.
    Who wants to be watching Die Hard 2 with their parents and see a nine inch glass dildo advertised during the ad break? Isn't the fact that sex toys are available in Ireland enough without forcing it in peoples faces?
    Nah, I think this is probably what would be advertised in the middle of Die Hard:pac:
    http://static.igossip.com/photos_2/july_2011/gun_dildo.jpg
    I actually thought that ad was quite funny and tastefully done too

Biggins wrote: »
    MODS: I ask this here because if the question was asked in the Sex & Sexuality section - those already there by their very presence and/or posting show willingness to be more liberal than those that might just object and stay silent, possibly voting "I would object to them being aired" above only.
    What?? I thought the S&S forum as somewhere where mad swinger parties, orgies and general sexual depravity occurs - not intelligent mature discussion regarding everyday sexual matters

As they are on very late at night, lesser kids will viewing them.
    As for seeing them with with your mam and dad, if your 18/20+ and your still living with your mam and dad, I would say there are bigger issues to be fretting about!

Its only my own opinion but if one is still uncomfortable with these adverts, it indicates a maybe slight (or more?) case of one still possessing a sub-conscious introverted and embarrassed level that should have been gotten over a long time beforehand.

Its sex for gods sake. Its being going on since year one, day one!
    As the song goes "Birds do it, bees do it - even educated fleas do it..."
    Your parents have been shagging more times then the previous amounts of breakfasts eaten prior to the arrival of your 18th birthday.
    Its a 20/30 second advert for gods sake, about something that is even now, is going on naturally everywhere.
    Its not the end of the world!

As they are on very late at night, lesser kids will viewing them.
    I think the problem some parents have with the ads shown on daytime tv is that its all too easy to sit your kids in front of a television and expect it to conform to your own morals and beliefs about sex, rather than active parenting.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I think the problem some parents have with the ads shown on daytime tv is that its all too easy to sit your kids in front of a television and expect it to conform to your own morals and beliefs about sex, rather than active parenting.

These adverts won't be shown during the daytime hours and if parents are watching afternoon items that normally are made for adults/parents, they should anyway expect to be exercising some form of kop-on as to what will be expected in the advert breaks during such programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

These adverts won't be shown during the daytime hours and if parents are watching afternoon items that normally are made for adults/parents, they should anyway expect to be exercising some form of kop-on as to what will be expected in the advert breaks during such programs.

Those ad-breaks are a bit unpredictable, like the ones on the music channels with old unemployed actors telling you you're going to die, so buy some life assurance before it's too late.:eek:

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Those ad-breaks are a bit unpredictable, like the ones on the music channels with old unemployed actors telling you you're going to die, so buy some life assurance before it's too late.:eek:

You've been watching Downton Abbey too? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

smash wrote: »
    Why is it embarrassing? You need to grow up a bit in my opinion. Everything you said is so backwards and old fashioned.
    What has growing up got to do with not wanting to unexpectedly see advertisements for sex toys? :confused:

When a film is on television the TV guide or the announcer gives you some idea what to expect and you can choose whether to watch it or not. If you don't want to see something explicit you can watch something else. You never know what advertisement is going to appear.

If they want to advertise vibrators in the ad break of a blue movie on one of the adult channels that's another matter. Similarly I wouldn't have any problem if they advertise sex toys during those Sky programmes like 'British Sex'. I just don't think they should be shown during a programme when you're not expecting to see anything explicit.

As for children not seeing these advertisements that's rubbish. What if they get up in the middle of the night for a drink just as an ad for a Love Egg or a Rampant Rabbit comes on?

As for children not seeing these advertisements that's rubbish. What if they get up in the middle of the night for a drink just as an ad for a Love Egg or a Rampant Rabbit comes on?
    What?? That's ridiculous - you might as well get rid of ALL adult content, sex, violence, etc on tv at all times if that's your concern.......or just turn your own tv off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Depends really, as long as they're not advertising über massive dildos that might encourage unsafe sexual activity then I guess it's ok.

...I just don't think they should be shown during a programme when you're not expecting to see anything explicit...

If anything is on after 9 it generally accepted it will be more of an adult nature.
    If after 10+, if your afraid of an advert or two, you might as well turn the TV off and save yourself the oncoming expected for sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I've no embarrassment in saying that my wife and I sex life is enhanced by such items.

Imagine if your kids found this post in a couple of years time.

Mortooooooh!

Imagine if your kids found this post in a couple of years time.

Mortooooooh!

A hell, by that stage they will be WELL used to me embarressing them. :D
    By that stage, it will be like water off a ducks back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

As long as they show how its used in the ad then I have no objections. Preferably with some hot supermodel doing the advert.

curry-muff wrote: »
    As long as they show how its used in the ad then I have no objections. Preferably with some hot supermodel doing the advert.

With batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

With batteries?

Na, wired up to a generator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

What is it?

Yeee-Haaaa :D

A Van De Graaff Generator, perfect for getting everything up straight! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Do you come with the toy?

Oh, you! heeheehee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

They sell vibrators in Boots now. Just so ya know.

If it's more expensive than Venus Vibrance, it's money down the drain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,252 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

So this is the full ad?

ad for the retailer alright, but not really a sex toy ad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They sell vibrators in Boots now. Just so ya know.
    only vibrating cocks I presume?, its seemingly fine for women to go into a shop and in effect declare to the pharmacist thats shes a wanker, a lad going in enquiring about vibrating cunts would probalby end up on a register!
    Pandora2 wrote: »
    Electric toothbrush....remove the brush section and replace with sponge..voila..DIY Vibrator, pardon the pun;)
    Patent for one http://www.google.com/patents?id=rl6gAAAAEBAJ&printsec=drawing&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Ibood had ones a while ago http://www.ibood.com/uk/en/product_specs/4351/Philips_Sensual_Massagers_for_Him_and_Her/
    As for seeing them with with your mam and dad, if your 18/20+ and your still living with your mam and dad, I would say there are bigger issues to be fretting about!
    18?:eek: I would have thought most 18 year old still live at home, if not at college. I think most european countries have a higher amount of kids living in the family home until older.

rubadub wrote: »
    ...18?:eek: I would have thought most 18 year old still live at home, if not at college. I think most european countries have a higher amount of kids living in the family home until older.

Even if they are (and I just wasn't making the point about living at home!), by that stage they normally have bigger things on their minds than having to cope with 30 second late night adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Jimoslimos wrote: »

A lot of it is also down to people being comfortable with what theyre used to.

In The Netherlands, Germany or even Poland adverts like this would be considered pretty normal. Polish daytime radio carries advertisements for brands for contraceptive pills for example.
    What's a sex toy? I need to get out more!
    Doesnt the statement above contradict itself somewhat ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Its not fair women have the best masturbating sex toys, do they not realise us men is a much bigger market (I think)

Advertisement