Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Breeding!!

• 28-09-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I notice a lot of people are considering breeding their dogs, I don't breed my dogs because of the horror stories I have heard from breeding and I hope if a few people could write up their stories and experiences from breeding it might help people understand and hopefully weigh up the pro's and con's of breeding their pets.

A friend of mine owns Yorkshire Terriers, she is into showing them and has put a lot of work and effort into her prize pets. Recently she decided to breed her Female and put all her effort into this, she did the relevant health tests, picked a healthy Stud dog from Champion lines and arranged everything months in advance, when her Female went into heat she bred her with this male. Through out the pregnancy she took her Female to the vets, had scan's done, knew she was expecting 3 puppies. As time went out she bought her new dog beds, blankets and other equipment for her puppies arrival. She slept with the female every night awaiting the arrival of the puppies. Her Female had her 3 puppies in the middle of the night, but the owner woke up to find the puppies were all dead, the Female had eaten some parts of them. It was so distressing for her and she is heartbroken about what happened. It goes to show though even for an experienced breeder, things went wrong for her :(

Please consider if you choose to breed your pet.
    Remember
    You could lose your puppies - infection, breech puppies,
    Your own Dog - breech births, infections, sections etc
    or even Both!!
    You could even expect to be paying a lot of money in Vet bills than you have ever paid before!!

There are enough homeless dogs in Ireland and enough being destroyed each year, there is no need to breed unless your dog is an excellent example of the breed, in excellent health and has the relevant health certs to show and always get advice from your vet and experienced breeders in your breed.

Sorry for the long write up but i hope to help people considering breeding to look at the pro's and con's of, it's not as easy as you might think, sometimes it works out but other times it might not be so lucky and there is a lot to lose.

I hope others can add in their stories, good or bad.
    Thanks for reading this :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 stonecarver

I have two IKC registered Kerry blues, molly and fatso, molly was bought in Galway and fatso in Cork, they are not related. They have a great life and are enclosed in a large yard and small field. They seem very healthy and happy. The problem is that Molly seldom seems to come in season (once a year or so). Fatso (he's not actually overweight) tries his best but I don't think he ever actually seals the deal. I would love to have pups but no luck as yet, both are over two years old, I'm sickened as I have a number of good homes for the pups and would like to do my bit towards increasing a pretty rare breed. All advise would be greatly welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I have two IKC registered Kerry blues, molly and fatso, molly was bought in Galway and fatso in Cork, they are not related. They have a great life and are enclosed in a large yard and small field. They seem very healthy and happy. The problem is that Molly seldom seems to come in season (once a year or so). Fatso (he's not actually overweight) tries his best but I don't think he ever actually seals the deal. I would love to have pups but no luck as yet, both are over two years old, I'm sickened as I have a number of good homes for the pups and would like to do my bit towards increasing a pretty rare breed. All advise would be greatly welcomed.

All advice welcomed? ? I'd suggest you read the OP again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Stonecarver, I'd strongly suggest you bring the female to your vet to see if you can find out why she's not coming into heat regularly, or indeed why she's not conceiving. If it turns out it's for a hereditary reason, and you do eventually get her into pup, you may need to consider the implications of her passing the fault down to her progeny. It may also be for a reason that is endangering her health and needs to be addressed.
    One thing is 100% sure: nobody here can tell you why she's not coming into heat/conceiving.
    For now, however, I'm closing this thread as this particular topic always goes berserk here, and in any case has resurrected an old thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement