Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible opening of Hansfield Train Station

Options
  • 28-09-2011 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

I just saw this in the weekly emails from FCC Planning Department
    FW11A/0101, 21-Sep-2011, Planning Permission
    Applicant: Iarnrod Eireann

Proposed Development: Iarnrod Eireann intend to apply for planning permission for a temporary 198 space car park adjacent to Hansfield Train Station, and the alteration of six car park spaces on the access road (planning grant F08A/0488) into nine temporary accessible car park spaces. The development is within the Hansfield Strategic Development Zone (SDZ) as defined by statutory instrument no. 273 of 2001 The development includes car parking, drainage, lighting, footpaths, fencing, steps, signage and soft landscaping.
    Could this be a signal that the train station will be opening in a few months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I believe June of next year has been mooted as the opening date subject to no planning or other setbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Just took a cycle up to the station today and the amount of illegal dumping on the tarmac/dirt road up to the site is unbelievable.

Hope this goes ahead as it will tidy up this area and give an extra transport link into the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:eek:

Holy god!!! Is that still not open??? Bloody hell :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Its appearing on the latest timetable from IR however with a little * noting that the opening date will be advised at a later date.

6 mins from Dunboyne and another 3 mins to Clonsilla!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Will it be pay and display parking? if so hope it burns down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

It's mostly metal so I don't think that's likely.

Careful now - you might have a an amateur psychologist reprimanding you and suggesting an anger management course. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Connolly to Maynooth is going to take around 45 mins now, used to be 25 mins 3 years ago when I used the line. The 29ks hardly run above notch 4 when I'm on them now, there is so much padding on the timetable, they just mosey along. Wasting all the DMU performance advantage over loco hauled operations on the route.

Is the overcrowding as bad as it used to be on that line?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Careful now - you might have a an amateur psychologist reprimanding you and suggesting an anger management course. ;)

Please do not discuss moderator actions that do not directly affect you.
    Connolly to Maynooth is going to take around 45 mins now, used to be 25 mins 3 years ago when I used the line. The 29ks hardly run above notch 4 when I'm on them now, there is so much padding on the timetable, they just mosey along. Wasting all the DMU performance advantage over loco hauled operations on the route.

For those of us not into trains, any chance we could have a non-technical version of that please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Zaph wrote: »
    For those of us not into trains, any chance we could have a non-technical version of that please?

Just commenting that IE have so much padding on the time table to make them look good that they are on time. They bought DMUs the 29k class ,or the "Commuter trains" as everyone calls them to replace them over the loco hauled trains from the mid,late '90s to early '00s when the DMUs came along. DMUs are much better suited to short, stop start services like the Maynooth line than a loco hauled train due to better braking and acceleration performance.

But rather than make a more aggressive time table taking full advantage of DMU performance they leave it like a loco service working the line. The DMUs are just crawling around the Maynooth line most of the time and are not being used to their full performance at all. All because IE don't care about service but want to look good while doing the minimum amount of work.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Please do not discuss moderator actions that do not directly affect you

Stop making assumptions. What on earth are you talking about ?

I don't recall responding to you or referring to you.

Butt out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Stop making assumptions. What on earth are you talking about ?

I don't recall responding to you or referring to you.

Butt out.

In case you hadn't noticed, I moderate this forum, and you made a direct reference to my post on the Dunnes Ongar thread. If you have an issue with the moderation you go through the proper channels (Feedback or the Dispute Resolution forum, as appropriate). Commenting on-thread is not permitted in any forum. Any further breach of this will result in an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

Is the overcrowding as bad as it used to be on that line?
    In the morning the early trains are usually standing room only by the time it gets to coolmine. The trains should have an extra coach on them to help sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Bump! This was the most recent thread about this I could find.

Does anyone know if there's a chance the station will actually open before we all die of old age? It's been well over a year since the trains started passing the station.

..does anyone else think this is completely ridiculous?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I understand that Irish Rail have applied to Fingal Co. Co. for 198 car parking spaces, planning ref, FW11A/0101. Currently Irish Rail have sought and received a time extention for their application until April 2012.

More information: http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=FW11A/0101

http://www.gazettegroup.com/blan_news.shtml

Irish Rail approve tender for construction of access road to begin in the coming weeks with a Spring 2013 opening. Good news for all Ongar/Hansfield residents!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭travist

Great, should be open by about 2015 then...

There is a similar thread in the Commuting and Transport forum but thought I'd post in this one too for interested D15'ers.

I spotted JCBs/diggers/construction gear on the site of the access road to Hansfield train station today so it looks like they've finally made a start on the road construction. Finally, some progress!!

Advertisement