Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing a Peach tree. What variety should I buy?

Options
  • 28-09-2011 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

I want to grow a peace tree against a south facing sheltered wall. Is their a particular variety of peach tree that would suit the weather conditions that we have in Dublin?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sorry I can't help, I just wanted to let you know that your thread title is misleading and it might mean you won't get replies. It says Peace Tree.

To correct it, click on Edit in your post, then on Go Advanced. That will give you the option to fix the title :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Sorry I can't help, I just wanted to let you know that your thread title is misleading and it might mean you won't get replies. It says Peace Tree.

To correct it, click on Edit in your post, then on Go Advanced. That will give you the option to fix the title :)

ok.thanks for that .silly mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I think they are all much of a muchness.
    The problem I had with peach trees is the dreaded peach leaf curl.
    This can be cured by spraying with copper fungicide and preventing by fleecing up in winter

http://www.orangepippinshop.com/peach-trees

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg04180139492.html

netting for birds as well

Homebase do them quite cheap - around 20-30 euros

Nice sunny wall will do well

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Can recommend Peregrine, although we've have ours in polytunnel. I think it'll do on a south facing wall as well.

We get about 200 peaches each season and they are divine :D

Never had Peach leaf curl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Mothman, is it a big tree? Or rather is your polytunnel big? Was hoping to get a small grape vine or peach tree in mine at some stage. Just not sure how much space i would need. It is 20 foot by 10. Does the peach take long to establish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Mothman wrote: »
    Can recommend Peregrine, although we've have ours in polytunnel. I think it'll do on a south facing wall as well.

We get about 200 peaches each season and they are divine :D

Never had Peach leaf curl

Ah! If you have it in a polytunnel then its well protected, so no leaf curl or pesky birds attacking it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Just getting back to this.

My tunnel is 2.5m high and the peach is restricted to about 4m x 4m. I mean restricted because the root stock seems quite vigorous. The are suckers shooting up from it a number of metres outside the tunnel :eek:

t seemed to be quite quick...about a couple years for it to bear fruit.

We need to thin it a lot as it sets far too many fruit. Probably 1000 :eek: and we thin it down to about 200 fruits with none touching each other.
    We have other peach trees, varieties unknown and the peregrine is by far the best, but the other tress come in at different times so between them we get a longer season.

Here's a little snapshot of the fruits of our labour :)
    618A8ABD16424D41A67CD1ECBAF09415-0000317152-0002574327-00800L-35D24D3FF6AA4C65BBD463977A79EE45.jpg

My lips are watering at the sight. :o
    I've said before that they are divine :)

Advertisement