Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I dont want people from America to visit my website

Options
  • 28-09-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I have a website.
    There is currently a few people in Africa and the US affecting my website by using it and breaking the sites rules.
    Does anyone know if I can limit the countries that view my website?
    It is an Irish website so I wouldn't mind if it was just Ireland and the UK that could view the website. It is irreverent to people in the US and I would like it if they could not view my website.

Russian's and parts of Asia can't log onto facebook so maybe there is a way to block counties?

Any advise would be welcomed.

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It's called the world wide web for a reason!

You could condition entry upon registration. There's also IP blocking software which would probably cost you a lot more than it's worth and isn't going to work perfectly.

I wasn't aware that FB was unavailable in Russia but in most countries where sites like FB are blocked it is at a high level and on government orders.

Green Mile wrote: »
    I have a website.
    There is currently a few people in Africa and the US affecting my website by using it and breaking the sites rules.
    Does anyone know if I can limit the countries that view my website?
    It is an Irish website so I wouldn't mind if it was just Ireland and the UK that could view the website. It is irreverent to people in the US and I would like it if they could not view my website.

Russian's and parts of Asia can't log onto facebook so maybe there is a way to block counties?

Any advise would be welcomed.

K
    Some of the american "people" could actually be Google, Yahoo, Bing etc bots which are ranking your sites so people can see you site in Google etc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I have a website.

What if there will be any troublemakers from UK or Ireland? You will be forced to close your website??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Use GeoIP to stop non-Irish / UK users from accessing the site..

You'll lose traffic and possibly search engine rank if you're not careful how you do it, but you did ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pingpipe

Even if you attempt to block certain country's IP's they would still be able to access your site through a proxy server in a different country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

you can exclude by IP, but if you do that in the case of USA - you'll exclude google and bing etc! Very counter-productive.

I hate to say it but the issue is at your end - if there are breaking rules then the rules are wrong! If they are (for example) putting up information on the site direct - then there should be system in place that it has to be approved first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Without knowing exactly what your site is, it's hard to say, but use GeoIP to stop users accessing just the parts of your site in which they're breaking the rules. e.g. if your site involves signup, restrict them from the sign up page.
    That won't affect search engine bots, you'd normally have them disallowed gtom anything that requires a signup/login anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

Thanks,
    I got GeoIp for my Joomla website.
    http://www.northpony.com/services/joomla-tools/gd-geo-ip-tools.html

It doesn't really say how to ban an IP address though.

If someone uses a fake email (only that they make up on the spot, will it still find an IP address?

K
    OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

BrianD wrote:
    I wasn't aware that FB was unavailable in Russia...
    I didnt either but its a GOOD THING in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dude111 wrote: »
    I didnt either but its a GOOD THING in my opinion!

Why is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Well FB is an info collecting website and in my opinon NO ONE SHOULD BE ON IT giving thier privacy away and not even carirng about it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

It is irreverent to people in the US and I would like it if they could not view my website.

but your prices on your site are in US$

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

but your prices on your site are in US$

:confused:

I haven't mentioned what my website is!!!????

Advertisement