Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High quality video stutters over wireless

Options
  • 28-09-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've a Netopia 2247 Wireless router and I have a PC with Windows 7 and PS3 Media Server.

I can play standard def videos fine but 720p or higher results in them stuttering.

Is the problem with the router?
    If so how would I upgrade it?
    Eircom supplied it to me.

thanks
    m

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

The bitrate for HD is massive compared to normal def tv. is it over a wireless connection? If so thats the problem. Better to do it over a wired connection.

Or a wireless N router might work for you. Most normal routers only have B+G There is also an N connection on some routers which is faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wireless "g" will struggle with anything higher than 720p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Before buying a router with wireless N remember:-
    1) All devices connecting to it must also be 'N' otherwise it will default to g.
    2) The latest study comparing the rate achieved using cable compared to wireless showed an average drop off of 30% for wireless. (walls, ceilings, interference etc.). But most users considered the convenience out weighed the loss of speed.

If you want to guarantee quality you need to use cable.

Advertisement