Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French guy in Eyre Square

Options
  • 28-09-2011 4:33pm

Anyone who has spent anytime in Eyre Square would likely be aware of the seemingly homeless French guy who appeared in the city maybe a year or more ago.

For ages it seemed like he was replaying the same steps over and over without acknowledging anybody else or even being aware of their presence.

I thought the same until just now when he approached me while I was sitting in Eyre Square and asked me for 50c, which I gave him as I was so surprised.

Has anyone ever tried talking to him? Is he staying anywhere or living rough? Hope he's in the Blue House at the back of the station.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Is that the guy with the goatee and longish hair? I think he is Italian. One of my friends was talking to him before. He's always pacing through town.

I think he's staying in digs with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've noticed this guy before and was quite concerned. He seemed harmless, minded his own business, never bothered anyone, but was in obvious signs of neglect.

Hope he's OK whatever his situation is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I've noticed this guy before and was quite concerned. He seemed harmless, minded his own business, never bothered anyone, but was in obvious signs of neglect.

Hope he's OK whatever his situation is

can't find it, but there's discussion about him in another thread, think he's talked to people before.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Is that the guy who walks around speaking gibberish/probably whatever language he speaks

He's asked me for a cigarette a few times.

Any one notice he always has really nice shoes?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭hbert

someone told me he was a heroin addict but they couldnt remember where they heard it etc. more then likely it was bullsh1t just that person making an assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Voulez vous couche avec moi ce soir dans le Fairgreen....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

xo.mary wrote: »
    Is that the guy who walks around speaking gibberish/probably whatever language he speaks

Yup, and from sitting next to him for a while in Eyre Square, I'm pretty sure he's French.

Poor lad is fairly burnt out, I'd guess that it was definitely drug abuse. I have a friend who came back from South America completely frazzled. The French dude walking around reminds me a lot of him, but to a higher extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I heard him speaking once and I am 80% sure it was Spanish.. maybe he is multilingual..:rolleyes: But I seriously feel sorry every time I see him, have no idea if anybody tried to help him or something...somebody should try at least.
    He would be very handsome man if not the state he is at the moment.. (if that matters..), but looks like someone not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I heard hes from Mars and ran a zoo back the West!!! Seriously some of the hearsay is laughable. Don't understand the fascination with him really, just another person, don't see why he needs or would want anyones sympathy or why anyone should intrude into his life offering him 'help', one persons crazy is anothers norm.

Nobody is "fascinated", its just a bit of empathy and homelessness or mental illnes is not a NORM for anybody...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I can confirm that goatee-long-haired-man is receiving assistance from one of the social service agencies in town ... or at least I can confirm that he was approx 12 months ago, and I have no reason to think that this has changed.

I also believe (from his name), that he's Italian. Never met any French people with that name.

Am sure I heard (or perhaps started :) ) a rumour that he's actually doing a PhD in anthropology, and is engaged in field research in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

softmee wrote: »
    homelessness or mental illnes is not a NORM for anybody...

Sadly mental illness is a norm for a certain % of people in any society. (As is diabetes, cancer, short-sightedness, etc).

And there are a fair few Travellers in this country (and Aboriginals in Austrialis, for that matter) who find being tied to four walls pretty oppressive, they would far rather be home-free.

JustMary wrote: »
    he's actually doing a PhD in anthropology, and is engaged in field research in Galway.

I knew he is intelligent. ;) But I am not sure if you are talking about the same person, he really does look bad, not sure if would be capable of beeing engaged in any kind of research. Or maybe the way he lives is the part of his research! :rolleyes:

JustMary wrote: »
    Sadly mental illness is a norm for a certain % of people in any society. (As is diabetes, cancer, short-sightedness, etc).

And there are a fair few Travellers in this country (and Aboriginals in Austrialis, for that matter) who find being tied to four walls pretty oppressive, they would far rather be home-free.

By "norm" I mean some quality of life and no ill person is really happy and by help I mean help - not just locking somebody somewhere.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I still choose to believe that the guy that walks round talking to himself is none other than Eagle Eyed Cherry!
    250px-Eagle-Eye_Cherry.jpg

Have a look at 2.25 onwards especially.

Poor guy, to add to the rumours, I heard his mind is fried after too much cocaine. I've been standing behind him a few times in ques in shops and everytime he was very polite to the person serving him.

I heard hes from Mars and ran a zoo back the West!!! Seriously some of the hearsay is laughable. Don't understand the fascination with him really, just another person, don't see why he needs or would want anyones sympathy or why anyone should intrude into his life offering him 'help', one persons crazy is anothers norm.

Wow, according to boards touch, this post received a lot of thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

4 things that I have noticed about this guy.

1: He 100% speaks French ( possibly other languages but the few times I have heard him talk, it has been in French )

2: He seems harmless

3: He is one of the only homeless people I've seen in Galway actually go through a rubbish bin in search of food

4: I have never seen him with a drink in his hand like the drunks in the Square.

So if this lad asks you for a cigarette or 50c, throw him a fiver and earn your karma!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Its saying 4294967293 thanked!..
    jayyyyyyysus!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

-Vega- wrote: »
    4 things that I have noticed about this guy.

1: He 100% speaks French ( possibly other languages but the few times I have heard him talk, it has been in French )

2: He seems harmless

3: He is one of the only homeless people I've seen in Galway actually go through a rubbish bin in search of food

4: I have never seen him with a drink in his hand like the drunks in the Square.

So if this lad asks you for a cigarette or 50c, throw him a fiver and earn your karma!

While I agree with your numbered points 100%, I will NEVER hand a stranger cash. Instead, buy the man some food, a bottle of water and a hot drink - If he's genuine he'll be very grateful for your personal donation.

I'm a bit of a heartless fecker (by admission), but at Christmas, I turn soft (I hate Christmas), and volunteer my time instead of the usual Christmas sh1te. I'll never forget one Chirstmas Eve, walking down Shop St. - I met a man in a wheelchair begging for money. Most people were their usual drunken state, roaring abuse at the guy. I thought i'd go out on a limb, bugger down to Supermacs (the guy was sheltering outside Anthony Ryans), and got a Chicken Burger Meal (with a bottle of water, got a tea with lots of sugar as an extra) - When I approached the guy, I expected to get a 'fcuk off', but instead was greeted with a smile of thanks. From that day, I learned to not judge a book by it's cover... that guy was in genuine need and was so thankful for what was given to him.

And all for less than the price of 2 drinks? Made my night (call me smug if you wish), and probably made his too.

Panthro wrote: »
    everytime he was very polite to the person serving him.

That's exactly what I've noticed too and that's why I have loads of sympathy for him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What can i say, i aim to please the mass public.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Did anyone see the chicken cross the road? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm sure I'll read about it in the Galway Independent next week

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

There is already a 5 page threadnaught on it !

I think buying a hot meal is a lovely thing to do, but not all the alcoholics will spurn a cuppa tea or a sandwich either. Your'e totally right JC about not judging a book by the cover.
    The nature of what drugs or booze does or has done to someone as an illness has different effects. Just because someone is drinking doesn't mean they shouldn't eat, but the booze is most important when the need it, so that's what drives them to seek out cash. They're all sick, we just seem to feel worse about the 'polite' (even 'handsome') ones more. Human nature is funny.

inisboffin wrote: »
    They're all sick, we just seem to feel worse about the 'polite' (even 'handsome') ones more. Human nature is funny.

The fact that I thought he has nice interesting face has nothing to do with how I feel about him wondering around streets and beeing homeless. I feel exactly the same about every human suffering poverty, hunger or any illness.

But, there is nothing strange or funny in the fact that we ( I ) like polite people more and no- I didn't feel the same about the drunk who said "just feck of" to me when I offered him some food instead of money, but I still thought it was sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

JohnCleary wrote: »
    While I agree with your numbered points 100%, I will NEVER hand a stranger cash. ......down to Supermacs (the guy was sheltering outside Anthony Ryans), and got a Chicken Burger Meal (with a bottle of water, got a tea with lots of sugar as an extra) - When I approached the guy, I expected to get a 'fcuk off', but instead was greeted with a smile of thanks. From that day, I learned to not judge a book by it's cover... that guy was in genuine need and was so thankful for what was given to him.

Did the same with a guy that was sheltering in a doorway outside McSwiggans a few years back. He asked for money and I refused but belted up to Eyre Sq. for a Mac Meal.

I knew he was a hard case when I got back and he was in the same doorway. By the look on his face he really appreciated the food. I hope he's OK wherever he is.

The fact that I thought he has nice interesting face has nothing to do with how I feel about him wondering around streets and beeing homeless. I feel exactly the same about every human suffering poverty, hunger or any illness.

But, there is nothing strange or funny in the fact that we ( I ) like polite people more and no- I didn't feel the same about the drunk who said "just feck of" to me when I offered him some food instead of money, but I still thought it was sad!

fair enough you say the way he looked had nothing to do with the way you would treat him, but not the case for everyone - that's why 'pretty' children are often used over 'plain' children in charity ads for example.

Politeness and humility are appreciated, but are pretty hard to maintain when homelessness and mental illness are factored in. Substance addiction can make for some grumpy f*ckers! Nonetheless they are still human beings, many of whom are suffering. I think the foreign man isn't an active addict of any kind, but possibly has a mental illness, whether as a result of substance abuse or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

I think he's called 'Zoom-Zoom' or something by a few of the young lads around town. Just the name I call him anyway. Speed of his speech I reckon is the reason. Although, never see him standing still either or sitting down. That could be it.

This fella is a genuine case. I work in a shop in town and he's always in for Coffee and a bottle of Coke. He sometimes buys Mars Bars and probably just trying to keep energy levels up. Always pleasant when he comes in and is lots of thanks. Coffee is probably the cheapest in town so that's why he visits.

I have met him a few times and he asks for 50c and I will always give it to him. Small change isn't gonna affect me but could mean alot to him. Never see him standing still either or sitting down.

• Advertisement

Substance addiction can make for some grumpy f*ckers! Nonetheless they are still human beings, many of whom are suffering.

No need to explain any of this to me. I am aware, thanks. :rolleyes:

Advertisement