Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French guy in Eyre Square

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

softmee wrote: »
    inisboffin wrote: »

No need to explain any of this to me. I am aware, thanks. :rolleyes:

Great!
    Wasn't just for you :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

His name is michelangelo, he is homeless, he is from Italy, he's a nice guy, I don't believe he is a herion addict, he his however mentally ill. He lives in a hostel for homeless people in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LuckyMary13

JohnCleary wrote: »
    While I agree with your numbered points 100%, I will NEVER hand a stranger cash. Instead, buy the man some food, a bottle of water and a hot drink - If he's genuine he'll be very grateful for your personal donation.

I'm a bit of a heartless fecker (by admission), but at Christmas, I turn soft (I hate Christmas), and volunteer my time instead of the usual Christmas sh1te. I'll never forget one Chirstmas Eve, walking down Shop St. - I met a man in a wheelchair begging for money. Most people were their usual drunken state, roaring abuse at the guy. I thought i'd go out on a limb, bugger down to Supermacs (the guy was sheltering outside Anthony Ryans), and got a Chicken Burger Meal (with a bottle of water, got a tea with lots of sugar as an extra) - When I approached the guy, I expected to get a 'fcuk off', but instead was greeted with a smile of thanks. From that day, I learned to not judge a book by it's cover... that guy was in genuine need and was so thankful for what was given to him.

And all for less than the price of 2 drinks? Made my night (call me smug if you wish), and probably made his too.

What a lovely thing to do. You are a very sweet man, Mr. Cleary. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

I've given this lad a couple of euro numerous times whilst waiting for the bus.
    I'm not in a position to speculate on his circumstances though i will say he comes across as a genuine person down on his luck.

I really do wish that some of the folk in the luckiest city in the country (you natives have no idea how the rest of the country is suffering with unemployment relative to Galway) would bear in mind that the way we are heading it could be any of us in his position.

What's a euro to you?
    It's nothing to me so in that case why not help a lad out.

I must add,i'm the first person to walk past a beggar who i just don't think is genuinely down on his luck.
    Drink,drugs,scam and i turn my nose up.
    This lad just gives me a different feeling about him.
    Go ahead,judge me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

He seems like a really nice fella. He means harm to nobody, unlike some undesirables around the square that can be very intimidating and even aggressive. Would gladly buy him a coffee or whatever if he asked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

gihj wrote: »

I must add,i'm the first person to walk past a beggar who i just don't think is genuinely down on his luck.
    Drink,drugs,scam and i turn my nose up.
    This lad just gives me a different feeling about him.
    Go ahead,judge me.

Not gettin at you gihj, but do you not think some of the alcoholics and junkies on the streets are down on their luck too, just a different path taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

He seems like a harmless enough sort alright. I've also heard a lot of rumours about him. Someone told me once he was studying for a psychology Phd or something like that and took a bad path in his life concerning drugs. As with all the other stories though I haven't a clue if it's genuine or more chinese whispers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

IF he was an ugly old pockfaced fecker nobody would know who the hell he was.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

inisboffin wrote: »
    Not gettin at you gihj, but do you not think some of the alcoholics and junkies on the streets are down on their luck too, just a different path taken?

I think they need a different type of help really.
    I get the feeling this guy is just down on his luck and anything i give him just helps him with the basics.
    Those other guys wont get what they really need from someone like me.

Of course i could be entirely wrong.

Walked by him earlier today and he smiled at me, so it makes me rethink his level of awareness. Surprised he is Italian as I always assumed he was French. Thanks for the information, Seaneh, glad he's being looked after.

• Advertisement
Advertisement