Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

im looking for general work on a fishing trawler...

Options
  • 28-09-2011 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

my name is Luke, I am 24 form Dublin and live in Dublin. I am fit and healthy and as I said I am looking to help out on a fishing trawler. I am ready to work straight away, I don't have much experience at all but am dying to learn the ropes.
    please email me if you are looking for someone like me on your ship,
    Thank you,
    Luke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rjmm

You need to be down on the harbor asking people when they get in from sea, it's no good ringing for a job fishing unless u got experience , skippers like to chat face to face . They will know if your able for it or not . Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Is a safety certificate/course issued by BIM not a pre-requisite to working on a trawler ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

ceol1987 wrote: »
    my name is Luke, I am 24 form Dublin and live in Dublin. I am fit and healthy and as I said I am looking to help out on a fishing trawler. I am ready to work straight away, I don't have much experience at all but am dying to learn the ropes.
    please email me if you are looking for someone like me on your ship,
    Thank you,
    Luke.

You need to get onto BIM and get on the Fishing Deckhand Course as it was called when I did it many moons ago. It seems to be a FETAC cert now.
    http://www.bim.ie/our-services/training/skippersandcrew/

A fishing trawler is a very rough and dangerous work environment if you have no experience or training you would be a liability.

Get in touch with BIM do the course which will prepare you for this environment and get you the proper certs and also allow you to make contacts which might help you get a possition.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Rjmm wrote: »
    You need to be down on the harbor asking people when they get in from sea, it's no good ringing for a job fishing unless u got experience , skippers like to chat face to face . They will know if your able for it or not . Good luck

That's good advice your best bet is get down there when the boats come in there are always somebody who might want to take a trip off so it would be the best feel to the job by doing a trip first, tis a tough job and it aint for everybody.
    Delancey wrote: »
    Is a safety certificate/course issued by BIM not a pre-requisite to working on a trawler ?

As far as i know you don't need any certs before you go to sea but obviously it would be better if you had some training, most of the lads down here on boats never did any.

Advertisement