Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBL account suspended - locale changed

Options
  • 28-09-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

I was going to post this in North1's thread but figured it might get lost in the chatter.

My XBL account was hacked a month ago, some Russian guy managed to access my account, changed the locale to Russia and spent some of my points to download a game. I quickly noticed what had happened and logged on to my Windows Live account to change the password. However, when I logged in to XBL using my Xbox, the language had changed to Russian. I rang XBL customer support and reported the unauthorized access. They told me they would start an investigation but I should still have access to XBL while this was going on.

Of course, they then proceeded to suspend my account and shut down my XBL access. 4 weeks later and numerous phone calls to XBL customer support later, I haven't had any updates or notification on when this will be sorted.

This is very frustrating - fair enough if someone managed to obtain my password (I don't know how this would have happened though), I will take the points hit, but all I really want is for XBL to change my locale back to Ireland and allow me to get online again - no BF3 beta for me it would seem :mad:.

Does anyone know how I might be able to get a better response out of XBL customer support? This would appear to be a straightforward problem to resolve and surely it shouldn't be taking a month. The inadvertent 'banned account' for other users seems to have been sorted out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

No this is different to my experience. You will get more info on the xbox forum. During my search online I came across one guy complaining on the forum that he was then 5 weeks without access to his live account due to a hacking of his account. As far as I can remember support were still work on giving him back access. A simple google search should find it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

No updates since from XBL support.

Posted on Xbox "My Xbox Live was suspended" forum - no response to date.

Sent email to Stephen Toulouse (stepto@xbox.com) - no response to date.

Very frustrated, very poor customer service from MS. Like getting blood out of a turnip.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If your account was migrated to a different region the investigations will take longer as migrations are a bit of a pain the ass to reverse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

Not sure if you can do it with your account the way it is, probably not but.....just in case id try make a new account and do a license transfer of all DLC.....to use until MS sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

denballs wrote: »
    Not sure if you can do it with your account the way it is, probably not but.....just in case id try make a new account and do a license transfer of all DLC.....to use until MS sort it out.
    You cant license transfer between gamertags, only consoles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

Meesared wrote: »
    You cant license transfer between gamertags, only consoles

My brother transferred GOW2 map packs to me...from his account/console

His licences were transfered to your console, not your gamertag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 keeveen

Microsoft haven't got good customer support for things like that since its in there interest that u buy another 12 month gold account ad xbl points there very money hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

keeveen wrote: »
    Microsoft haven't got good customer support for things like that since its in there interest that u buy another 12 month gold account ad xbl points there very money hungry
    We dont know the situation here he could have been phished for all you know

• Advertisement

Yeah microsoft.... a unbelieveably rich corporation is after every single penny you have....

Vicxas wrote: »
    If your account was migrated to a different region the investigations will take longer as migrations are a bit of a pain the ass to reverse.

I don't see why - in everyone's Windows Live account there is the option to change your locale to another country, but you can only do it once a year for some strange reason.

Surely it's plain as day what happened, some yoke got into my account, changed the locale to Russia and spent some of my points. All I want is for the process to be reversed, I still have retained password access to my Windows Live and billing account.

And whats the point in me setting up another account while I'm waiting, I would still have to buy a sub for XBL Gold?

:mad::mad::mad:

See when an XBL account gets migrated all the details change, so essentially its like a new account. So the Windows Live team have to try and piece together what the account was like before some numpty changed it to a new region.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phegasus

Account migration is a permanent action. It cannot be undone. It strips all payment details from the account, and ports the account region to one of any countries that were introduced to Xbox LIVE in the last 12 Months. Logging an Unauthorised Access Claim may get you the remaining XBLG time on the account and any unused points, but that's not guaranteed.

Depending on the complexity (Changing the WLID on the account before porting), corruption (if modifications or tampering is used.) It's a harsh situation.

It's most likely due to insufficient or inadequate information security on behalf of the user. Or related to exploitable accounts which carry similar information (EA Accounts).

Well, you're right, it seems the locale change can't be reversed, which seems daft to me when anyone who gains access to your account can migrate it to a different country very simply indeed (without any confirmation email) and totally mess up your account.

XBL Support were back on to me and suggested setting up a new account, they gave me 2 months worth of XBL Gold as well, still no sign of the 1600 points that got taken. They are working on a way to reverse locale changes more easily, why this hasn't been done before I'll never know. This is a common enough occurrence apparently recently with hacked accounts.

Oh well, time for a fresh start so - luckily I didn't have too much DLC (hopefully will get this back eventually) and all my achievements got wiped. I was getting a bit fed up of my old GT anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How is the country being changed? They have always claimed it's impossible to move country and cannot be done for legitimate reasons, so how is it being done for illegitimate ones and then not being possible to change back?

Migration is possible once its to an emerging market (any country that recently joined Xbox live)

Advertisement