Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which groupset

• 28-09-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

i'm planning on building a new bike next year from scratch but i cant decide which groupset to use,campgnolo,sram or shimano, i would be looking for something similar to shimano 105
    what are the differences ,if any, between each company and is there any reason why i should choose one over another.btw i have only ever used low end shimano stuff(sora) so this is why i,m asking this question.
    i wont be doing any racing just general cycling and a few sportives, any help is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

If you keep your eye out you will pick up a 2010 Veloce gruppo for around €400.
    If possible you really should try the different gruppo's as all else is just opinion.
    EG Iwill tell you that Campy is better then Shimano but that is because I prefer Campy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

granda wrote: »
    i would be looking for something similar to shimano 105
    Sram equivalent would be Rival, and the nice thing about Sram is that it is Shimano "compatible" as in you buy Shimano cassettes, chains and brake shoes. I don't think the derailleur's / shifters are interchangeable thanks to Sram's exact actuation.

As BCMF says everyone's opinions are personal:
    I have Rival on my commuter/winter trainer and love it. I made the switch to Sram (Force) from Shimano for my race bike and liked it so much that I speced it on the commuter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Shimano v Campag v Sram

Campag is the iPhone of the groupsets, looks nice, works well but compatable with feck all.

Shimano & Sram are everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

thanks for all the comments and i was sort off heading towards sram so i might just get pushed over the edge here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

bcmf wrote: »
    EG Iwill tell you that Campy is better then Shimano but that is because I prefer Campy Campagnolo is superior to anything else.

FTFY.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Oh indeed. But alas some people will just not be told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Shimano v Campag v Sram

Campag is the iPhone of the groupsets, looks nice, works well but compatable with feck all.

Shimano & Sram are everything else.

thats an excellent summary there

needless to say i have an iphone, and the cycling equivalent iphone as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I've had 'em all (including microSHIFT) and SRAM is my favourite. I like that one can pull the inset levers on SRAM and Campag back and play with them. I occupy myself with this and a myriad of other little things. I'm probably a nightmare in a group. I currently have Shimano 105 on my alu bike. It's fine. It works.

For the sake of convenience I'd suggest you go with Shimano or SRAM. There are more compatible secondhand parts out there should you need to replace anything on the cheap. In terms of resale value a Shimano equipped bike might be best for the lower to middle end of the market as the average Joe is likely to be more familiar and impressed by it.

SRAM Rival and upwards and Shimano 105 and upwards are all good. Look for a bargain and go for it.

after all these comments i've decided to go with a sram rival groupset ,thanks for all your help

after all these comments i've decided to go with a sram rival groupset ,thanks for all your help
    Buy the frame first. Some will take a band-on front derailleur whilst some will take a braze-on. The might also be the threading of the bottom bracket to consider. BSA is pretty much the standard these days though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

granda, i have sram rival on a bike, you can take a spin on it if you are out at the weekend to see how you get on over a few miles.

i'll take you upon that lenny but it wont be this weekend btw are we going upto the mast some night next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Sent you a pm.

Yes, planning on the mast somenight next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

bcmf wrote: »
    If you keep your eye out you will pick up a 2010 Veloce gruppo for around €400.

Where exactly? I'm in need of a new groupset (preferably campag).

Lemag wrote: »
    Buy the frame first. Some will take a band-on front derailleur whilst some will take a braze-on. The might also be the threading of the bottom bracket to consider. BSA is pretty much the standard these days though.

i've already decided on a frame i'm just trying to sort out what i'm going to put on it and it wont be till next year so i've got plenty of time to pick stuff up as i go along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i've already decided on a frame i'm just trying to sort out what i'm going to put on it and it wont be till next year so i've got plenty of time to pick stuff up as i go along

granda,

if you wanna go mad, ill gladly give you a go of my Campag equipped bike.

just to throw a spanner into the sram works :cool:

granda,

if you wanna go mad, ill gladly give you a go of my Campag equipped bike.

just to throw a spanner into the sram works :cool:

thanks for the offer chris but in going to go with sram mainly for the interchange ability(if i need to)

After a quick search £474.99 is the best price that I've found. I'm pretty sure that I've seen it before elsewhere for cheaper though.

Advertisement