Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with finding alternative word from "create"

Options
  • 28-09-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

This may seem like a silly question, but I am struggling to find an alternative word which has a similar meaning to "create" but in a forceful way.....

To give you an everyday example, we can say that we 'create' business. A tax office may be considered a business. However, as a public citizen, I don't want to 'create' business with the tax office, but I 'have to' (forced through regulation). This may be described as __________ business.

Fill in the blank. :confused:

I would be grateful if you have any suggestion on this as I need to examine alternative words please.

Many thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

actualize, author, beget, bring into being, bring into existence, bring to pass, build, cause to be, coin, compose, conceive, concoct, constitute, construct, contrive, design, devise, discover, dream up, effect, erect, establish, fabricate, fashion, father, forge, form, formulate, found, generate, give birth to, give life to, hatch, imagine, initiate, institute, invent, invest, make, occasion, organize, originate, parent, perform, plan, procreate, produce, rear, set up, shape, sire, spawn, start

http://thesaurus.com/browse/create

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Who Knows?

Hi Mark,

Yes, I checked that source before I posted here and none seem to fit. Any ideas yourself besides online material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Could it be described as the taxes propagating business for the tax office...or tax offices deal in compulsory business...?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

compelled creation of business? (edit got mixed up with impel :rolleyes: :o )
    or enforced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Involuntary business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I wonder would "compelled" work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

raped.

forced to create = raped

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Who Knows?

I don't think these work, for example, if I create, it implies a positive sense of something being developed/constructed...?

If I have to create, forced almost (but force is too strong), compelled, how would you use this in the sense that... "Within this service we are [together compelled] to submit tax...bla bla....

Is co-compelled a word?

Or maybe co-impelled?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Inveigled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

obligated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Who Knows? wrote: »
    I don't think these work, for example, if I create, it implies a positive sense of something being developed/constructed...?

If I have to create, forced almost (but force is too strong), compelled, how would you use this in the sense that... "Within this service we are [together compelled] to submit tax...bla bla....

Is co-compelled a word?

Or maybe co-impelled?

we are compelled is fine
    or since it's tax, required, we are required

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

compulsary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Obliged, bound? Compelled works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Inciting -the tax office is inciting business and you are subsequently required to pay tax

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Who Knows? wrote: »
    Hi,

However, as a public citizen, I don't want to 'create' business with the tax office, but I 'have to' (forced through regulation). This may be described as __________ business.

Yes you do want to, otherwise you will be breaking the law. You don't want to create a situation for yourself where you are fined or jailed for not adhering to your legal obligations as a citizen of a country.

:cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

coerced, extorted, conscripted.

In future, if you have a word that not quite right, run it through the thesaurus, if the results are close but still not quite it, run them through the thesaurus. Youll find that inspiriation will strike as you run through alternatives, your brain may suddenly go 'ping!' and come up with the right word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Statuary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Having problems editing on my phone - should read Statutory

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Initiating?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You comply with regulations, if that's any help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 asper

forced through regulation - legally obligated / obligatory

Your question confused me a little though
    to create a business = to form something
    to create business = to enable something

Is it possible the idea is "to do business with"?

Advertisement