Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A light running/racing shoe

Options
  • 28-09-2011 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

I am an over pronator runner who normally wears kayanos and the like for longer distance etc. I am looking at getting a suitable and light pair of racing/running shoes for 5k/10k races and for faster/shorter training runs etc.

Hit me with some suggestions as sometimes the kayanos feel like running with concrete blocks on your feet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Have you tried DS trainers? They have a nice wedge of support but are fairly light and flat. What size do you take in asics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

menoscemo wrote: »
    Have you tried DS trainers? They have a nice wedge of support but are fairly light and flat. What size do you take in asics?

No have not tried them, i am a size 8 but sometimes a 9 if the toe box is small.

No have not tried them, i am a size 8 but sometimes a 9 if the toe box is small.

I have a pair of 8's in the DS trainer I can lend to you. I Used to use them for track stuff but I don't need the medial support and I don't like the hard soled feel of asics- but if you're used to it you'd like them. Brian used the DS trainers in Berlin (usually wears 2160's) and they went fine for him, so I'd say they'd be good for you on fast/short races.

I wouldn't reccomend those to an over pronator who normall wears kayanos. That's too much of a jump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Brooks St5's are a really nice light weight trainer with good support. I've used them in races from 3,000m track to half marathon and they were perfect. Would recommend them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I wouldn't reccomend those to an over pronator who normall wears kayanos. That's too much of a jump.

The 500 actually has some motion control properties. Similar to lunarglides.

'Adidas have a few lightweight trainers as well with support in them - the tempo is a good training shoe, don't like it myself as a racer but it's light and comfortable and makes a good everyday trainer, I think the mana is a support shoe as well and is lighter than the tempo.

Saucony mirage and saucony fastwitch would come under that banner too.

DS trainers and Brooks ST as already mentioned. The brooks are a very popular shoe.

Have you tried lunarglides? I've sold lunarglides to half of boards. ::)

asimonov wrote: »
    Brooks St5's are a really nice light weight trainer with good support. I've used them in races from 3,000m track to half marathon and they were perfect. Would recommend them.

Cheers they look ideal and good reviews. I was looking for something like this up to hm distance and revert back to the kayanos etc for marathons. Cheapest i found was here unless you know of somewhere cheaper?
    Nice flashy colour to boot:)

Have not tried Lunarglides RQ do they offer any support? You are the shoe queen of boards and probably have every model in your wardrobe:)

Cheers they look ideal and good reviews. I was looking for something like this up to hm distance and revert back to the kayanos etc for marathons. Cheapest i found was here unless you know of somewhere cheaper?

Have not tried Lunarglides RQ do they offer any support? You are the shoe queen of boards and probably have every model in your wardrobe:)

Just a word of warning: they were the ones Brian was gonna wear in Belin, but even over HM distance they were mashing his legs and he is slightly less of a pronator than you.....

Lunarglides have dynamic support but I wouldn't call them lightweight (or a racer). I was just reading a few online reports on my latest shoes- Mizuno wave Musha and apparently they are popular to over-pronators as a racing flat.

If I were you though, being used to asics, I'd go with the DS trainers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I have these and I think I'd only use them up to the 10km as my legs start to feel fatigued if I go any further but I am a little heavier than the normal runner.
    I really do love the shoe though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I've just counted in my head, I think I have 6 pairs of lunarglides, though the last 2 pairs don't have many miles on them as I transitioned to much lighter shoes before getting to use them much. Lunarglides use a dynamic support system which makes them suitable for neutral runners and overpronators - making them a good shoe for people looking to move to lighter shoes IMO. They were originally marketed as a lighweight/racing shoe but seem to be getting heavier with each new model. I stocked up before the 2's came out, so can't really comment on anything after the originaly, but, they still seem to be used as a 'lightweight shoe'.

Lunarglides have dynamic support but I wouldn't call them lightweight (or a racer). I was just reading a few online reports on my latest shoes- Mizuno wave Musha and apparently they are popular to over-pronators as a racing flat.

If I were you though, being used to asics, I'd go with the DS trainers...

Depending on the models lunarglides are up to 2 ounces lighter than kayanos. 4ozs is a fairly big weight difference to someone who doesn't wear light shoes...

Edit: I'm not commenting on how many pairs of shoes I actually have JB. I'm getting bullied over all my shoes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

My 2c - I'm 74kg and an Adidas wearer (weights based on actual Uk10).

Pro4 - 180gms: beautiful to wear little or no protection, great for short track sessions, wore them for 5k on the road calves and tendons were tight for a few days after. Will wear them for track sessions, up to 2m RR and >1m track races going forward.

Adizero Mana - 244gms: really nice shoe, great for 5k to HM on the road and tempo sessions where you want to feel light on your feet.

Adizero Tempo - 326gms: I really can't fault this shoe, it's my favorite all rounder, feels lighter than it actually is, very responsive, great durability, latest pair look new after 350 miles and still feel great.

Adidas seem to have a tighter fit than normal, but when I changed from a cross lacing style to up and under that worked a treat.

Some food for thought i was sold on the brooks but now thinking lunarglides, mizuno or adizero:D

I have a pair of 8's in the DS trainer I can lend to you. I Used to use them for track stuff but I don't need the medial support and I don't like the hard soled feel of asics- but if you're used to it you'd like them. Brian used the DS trainers in Berlin (usually wears 2160's) and they went fine for him, so I'd say they'd be good for you on fast/short races.

Some how i missed this, yeah worth trying.

Some how i missed this, yeah worth trying.

ok, I'll give you them at DCM unless I see you before. Can't be more than 100 miles in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I use nike triax structure for the really long stuff fran but ive found i can get away with lunarglides for marathons. Im a moderate overpronator.

Advertisement