Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting My First tattoo

Options
  • 28-09-2011 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi

Im getting my first tattoo bit nervous but wanted one last year and still do so gonna go for it!!

my tattoo is of 2 lines for my all time favourite song and the lyrics mean something to me so wont regret it like getting my GF name!

im thinking of getting it from my neck down,anywhere else i could get it that it woul look good?down my side maybe?

also its going to be in arabic,is there any other cool looking languages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

If it's your first don't get it on your neck! It could make an impact on your career and the way people judge you for the rest of your life. I know it's unfair but that's just the way it is. Most good tattoo artists won't do it on your neck anyway unless you're heavily tattooed as it is. As for getting it done in different languages be very careful. Some things don't translate as literally or as well as you might like. Why not get it done in English but in a nice script or something? Unless you can find someone who speaks fluent Arabic and translate it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 elizabeth mch

Im actually thinking of getting a tattoo, not so sure what to get though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Dick Burns wrote: »
    Hi

Im getting my first tattoo bit nervous but wanted one last year and still do so gonna go for it!!

my tattoo is of 2 lines for my all time favourite song and the lyrics mean something to me so wont regret it like getting my GF name!

im thinking of getting it from my neck down,anywhere else i could get it that it woul look good?down my side maybe?

What part of your neck? If its the front or sides i wouldn't recommend it! Its far too visable! If its the back where it could be covered by hair then ...maaaaybe! Most tattoo artists will tell you the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

while i have no objections in the slightest with people getiing neck or hand tattoos I dont really think you want to go with somewher as visible as either of them for your first tattoo!

As it has been said here allready
    A: It could effect current or future employment
    B: Most tattoo artists will not tattoo such highly visible areas unless you are allready well covered.

Myself, I go by the rule, no tattoos where a judge can see them! And i'm fairly well covered at this stage.

Take alot of thinking time before you decide on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

Dick Burns wrote: »
    Hi

i wouldn't recomment above the collar line if necks the way you're going,
    personally i think 2 lines of text would look cool on ribs...

as for cool looking languages... if you can't speak it, don't do it... would be my opinion... as atavan-halen said, why not choose a pretty font or something?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Script looks nice along the back of the forearm moving with the shape of the arm but might be a bit common tho! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tricia xx

lol now thats a rule to live by!!!
    i like the hebrew and sanskrit script myself but u may find that that ur quote becomes much smaller than u had thought.
    i agree with those who have said if its ur first dont go for such a visable place. if u dont like the idea of gettin it done or ur arm, think about ur collar bone or down ur spine.
    always well research ur tattoo well b4 u get it done.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 donnabrenton

yeah arabic will be good...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Art monster

I was just reading down through some of the comments there and I disagree about neck tattoos. I recently got my first tattoo a small dragon on back of my neck. I can cover it up by clothing if i choose to and i don't think it should be ruled out as a place on your body that you want to get a tattoo done. Well tattoo's are always going to be an issue with future employment no matter where you have them on your body but if they can be covered up by a scarf or a piece of clothing then i say why not. Also if it turns out to be a major problem then there is good cover up/camouflage make-up that can be purchased too but everyone has a different opinion on this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I was just reading down through some of the comments there and I disagree about neck tattoos. I recently got my first tattoo a small dragon on back of my neck. I can cover it up by clothing if i choose to and i don't think it should be ruled out as a place on your body that you want to get a tattoo done. Well tattoo's are always going to be an issue with future employment no matter where you have them on your body but if they can be covered up by a scarf or a piece of clothing then i say why not. Also if it turns out to be a major problem then there is good cover up/camouflage make-up that can be purchased too but everyone has a different opinion on this topic.

I don't see why you'd drag up a 2 year old thread for this post, but anyway...

Back of your neck is called your nape, which is vastly different to a neck tattoo, which is generally done at the side of the neck, below the ear.

The reason people are so against it with regards to employment is simply because you canNOT cover up a tattoo on that part of your neck, because scarves aren't something that are generally worn in the workplace.

I have tattoos on my arms and ankles, and while my bosses have never had an issue with any of those, I'd be sacked if I got a neck tattoo because there is a lot of stigma attached to it.

But again, a tattoo on your nape and on your neck are very different things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement