Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Should I Get UPC Broadband

• 28-09-2011 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

I'm looking at changing broadband. I'm with three and whilst it works grand most of the time, quite often its useless.

First things first, I watch a lot of online football, on the legal sites of course ;), and that would be my heaviest usage (I'm not a big movie/music downloader, except for watching the odd clip on YouTube). Quite often I can watch a match, using 3broadband, with little problem (wouldn't say no problem), at other times, I end up giving up and turning the computer off because it jars and breaks all the time, even on the lowest streams. In fact it even does this sometimes with internet radio (my other main usage).

I am thinking of getting the upc 20Mb package for €25 per month. Would 20Mb package be fast and consistent enough for me? (I'd like to watch better quality streams if possible, but can make do with the lower ones). And would I notice a big improvement after using 3?

I also like the idea of 500Gb allowance. But is that monthly? I can't see how I could possibly use all that, as I make do with 15Gb at the moment (though I limit my usage because I'm aware its all I have).

I'm in Carlow town if that is of any help to anyone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    I'm looking at changing broadband. I'm with three and whilst it works grand most of the time, quite often its useless.

First things first, I watch a lot of online football, on the legal sites of course ;), and that would be my heaviest usage (I'm not a big movie/music downloader, except for watching the odd clip on YouTube). Quite often I can watch a match, using 3broadband, with little problem (wouldn't say no problem), at other times, I end up giving up and turning the computer off because it jars and breaks all the time, even on the lowest streams. In fact it even does this sometimes with internet radio (my other main usage).

I am thinking of getting the upc 20Mb package for €25 per month. Would 20Mb package be fast and consistent enough for me? (I'd like to watch better quality streams if possible, but can make do with the lower ones). And would I notice a big improvement after using 3?

I also like the idea of 500Gb allowance. But is that monthly? I can't see how I could possibly use all that, as I make do with 15Gb at the moment (though I limit my usage because I'm aware its all I have).

I'm in Carlow town if that is of any help to anyone.

There's no comparison between UPC and mobile midband. In other words fixed broadband works so much better than midband.
    If you get a good cable connection, which is usually likely, you'll be able to stream tv stuff no problem on 20Mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

bealtine wrote: »
    There's no comparison between UPC and mobile midband. In other words fixed broadband works so much better than midband.
    If you get a good cable connection, which is usually likely, you'll be able to stream tv stuff no problem on 20Mb.

Cool. Thanks. Of course, UPC are trying to sell me the 25Mb option saying if I try to watch more than one match at a time on 20Mb I might suffer lag. Eh, who watches two football matches at one time lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

i was looking at getting three myself but like you watch alot of football online but i also download quiet a bit. so i was looking at the 20mb option with upc aswell

how much where they offering the 25mb for??

also if anyone can tell us is the download allowance monthly or yearly??? monthly seems like ALOT yearly would seem stingy but unsuprising

my housemate wont pay for broadband so im thinking 25 a month for the 20mb with would be pretty cheap compared to three's 29.99 a month for 60gb allowance

also ive often watched 3 or 4 matchs online at the same time on eircoms 4mb:D sure it lags sometimes but my point is 20 mb would be more than enough to handle 2 games at a time if need be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

25mb -> €25 (+ €7.75 if you don't have tv with them)per month

Allowance is 500GB per month

Onikage wrote: »
    25mb -> €25 (+ €7.75 if you don't have tv with them)per month

Allowance is 500GB per month

is the 7.75 also per month?? i thought it was a once off payment??

if i was getting the broadband it would be without tv as i download EVERYTHING. i have tv shows i watch and i just download them when they are aired in the states rather than wiat for them here. i rarely watch tv as i can watch games online aswell. welcome to the future:D

i also thought the 20mb was 25 a month not the 25mb

*edit
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

20mb broadband is €25 a month.
    25mb is €35 a month or €40 with phone service
    50mb is €40 a month or €45 with phone service
    100mb is €50 a month or €55 with phone service

A standalone charge of €7.75 PM applies to all broadband packs not purchased with or added to our TV or Phone service.
    its a once off fee so its not so bad

Wireless Modem is €49.99 once off
    Wireless modem and USB wifi adapter is €64.99 once off

you get
    # Dedicated support team available to assist with many of your broadband and computer issues.
    # 12Mb downstream; 1.2Mb upstream
    # 24 hour online connection - no time restrictions
    # No telephone line required
    # 500GB usage limit
    # Up to 15 email addresses
    # 300MB web space

im confused about the fine print??????????????
    "A €40 Equipment Activation fee applies for every Fibre Power Broadband service ordered. Orders placed online will get an online order credit of €20 for each Fibre Power Broadband service. Choose to connect the service yourself to receive a further €20 credit for each Fibre Power Broadband service."

does this mean i get €40 credit on my account if i order online and install it myself???? i know if i get €40 credit on my account it would just be me getting the €40 back from the activation fee??? is that right??

so can anyone tell me is there a hidden charge on upc???

if im to go with what i believe if i get the 20mb broadband the first month i pay €25 plus the €7.75 once off because its a standalone package plus the €40 activation fee but i have €40 off that bill because i installed it myself and ordered online. every month after i just pay 25 a month????

if someone/anyone can clarify this it would be amazing thanks

• Advertisement

Don't get three. I was watching Milan - Plzen tonight and had awful trouble with it. Notice I said watching. When the match was over I logged onto RAI Radio 1 to listen to Zona Cesarini (a football/sports show) for the after-match opinion. Again I had awful trouble. Notice I said listening! That's how bad three gets!

€7.75 is standalone

Taffy Kat wrote: »
    €7.75 is standalone

yea i just read that. i couldnt get onto their web page earlier for some reason. thanks though youve been helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I dunno, it says on one page on the UPC site that it's 7.75 PM and elsewhere it's standalone...:confused: PM Jason and ask him to clarify it

People who don't order online and don't get it installed get charged €40 extra. Online and self install don't get this charged to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 maynoothman

The 25MB package comes with a Cisco "G" Type router. What type of coverage does it give i.e. can you pick up the signal in all parts of the house including upstairs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The 25MB package comes with a Cisco "G" Type router. What type of coverage does it give i.e. can you pick up the signal in all parts of the house including upstairs?

Yes, this is from a Windows laptop upstairs on Wi-Fi, claimed 25 Mbps...

1507556303.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I live in a large house and cisco EPC2425 is in the livingroom, I'm picking up an ''Excellent'' to "Good" wireless signal in all parts of house, Channel2 works best for me.

Speedtest done over WIFI from Bedroom upstairs, i'm on the 25meg

1507680910.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I dunno, it says on one page on the UPC site that it's 7.75 PM and elsewhere it's standalone...:confused: PM Jason and ask him to clarify it

People who don't order online and don't get it installed get charged €40 extra. Online and self install don't get this charged to them.

Its €7.75 per month and is called a standalone charge as you don't have a bundle (tv or phone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 maynoothman

Thanks for the info, looks like the Cisco router is sufficient for household use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Its €7.75 per month and is called a standalone charge as you don't have a bundle (tv or phone)
    So if that is the case : Broadband on its own is €35 + €7.75= €42.50 PM
    And broadband and phone is €40 PM. So you pay an EXTRA €2.50 PM NOT to have a phone !!!
    Interesting business model :-)

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    So if that is the case : Broadband on its own is €35 + €7.75= €42.50 PM
    And broadband and phone is €40 PM. So you pay an EXTRA €2.50 PM NOT to have a phone !!!
    Interesting business model :-)

or you could get the 20mb broadband for £20 + £7.75 = £32.50 a month. 10 quid for an extra 5mb a month aint really worth it imo

Advertisement