Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good venues to host an 18th?

Options
  • 28-09-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello, was planning on having a party for my 18th in two months and was wondering does anyone know any good venues to have it in? Preferable somewhere lenient with u18s because a decent proportion of my friends are not yet 18. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Note: I know there was a post made about this a year or two back, but was wondering if anyone else who didn't post on that thread knew a good place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The only way you are getting lenient on under 18's is if you rent a hall or have a local pub that one of your parents frequent.

But if you are looking for places in the city specifically. Get onto the Mardyke, and make sure you explain there will be some under 18's who won't be drinking. They are "over 21's" but are pretty relaxed about it. If anyone under 18 is caught drinking they will check everyones ID though and toss out those too young.

Also the Bailey is grand for 18's I think. I don't like the place much myself, but they are pretty relaxed about ID I think.

But really you aren't gonna find a bar that will definitely let your young friends in, you're best to either go to a local that a parent frequents enough to know the manager, or rent a hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

The only way you are getting lenient on under 18's is if you rent a hall or have a local pub that one of your parents frequent.

But if you are looking for places in the city specifically. Get onto the Mardyke, and make sure you explain there will be some under 18's who won't be drinking. They are "over 21's" but are pretty relaxed about it. If anyone under 18 is caught drinking they will check everyones ID though and toss out those too young.

Also the Bailey is grand for 18's I think. I don't like the place much myself, but they are pretty relaxed about ID I think.

But really you aren't gonna find a bar that will definitely let your young friends in, you're best to either go to a local that a parent frequents enough to know the manager, or rent a hall.

Mardyke won't allow U18s to attend.

Rent something like the old telecom/garda club near the leisureplex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

RyanCCFC wrote: »
    Hello, was planning on having a party for my 18th in two months and was wondering does anyone know any good venues to have it in? Preferable somewhere lenient with u18s because a decent proportion of my friends are not yet 18. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Note: I know there was a post made about this a year or two back, but was wondering if anyone else who didn't post on that thread knew a good place.

I was in Flannery's, in Glasheen a few weeks ago, and there was an 18th on there that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

I have worked in bars all over the city and trust me its best to avoid holding one in any, Just rent a function hall somewhere and be sure to check there policy.
    No point being in tears on the night with half your friends not getting in, I have seen it happen but it is not the venues problem.
    Try the deanrock or most of the gaa clubs have decent halls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Try the deanrock or most of the gaa clubs have decent halls.

+1 - exactly what I was about to post

a friend had her 21st in the deanrock function room and had her little brother and a few other young relatives - although they were with their parents

GAA clubs would be the other good option, but I remember getting a bit of grief at the door at a friends 21st a few years ago in Mayfield-
    oddly they didn't ask the girl I was with, even though she was still 17 at the time :)

Maybe a hotel that normally cater to debs where they staff would be familiar with wristbands for those allowed alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

The bailey will NOT be ok with that. last year i was going to a 21st there and they wouldnt let anyone under 21 go in. and they hadn't a drop of alcohol in them.

most places don't do 18ths because some of their friends will be under 18 and it's like playing with fire to let them in. unless, as said above you're best bet is a local GAA club hall or local pub. i remember way back when i was 18 some people were having parties at the two mile inn(between middleton and castlemartyr) and they gave wristbands to everyone who went in, blue for those old enough to drink and white for those too young, they were very strict on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

My friend rented out a room upstairs in Amicus and she only had to pay for the food (chicken wings and stuff, I didn't even notice it was there tbh) and then find someone to do the music. There's a bar, smoking room and toilets up there so people won't be trekking downstairs all night, and I don't think they were strict about ID at all, I didn't even take mine out of my purse all night. It got really hot though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Secrets :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Guessing you are a CCFC fan. The Horseshoe would almost certainly accomadate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

Bishopstown Bar do good 18th's and allow under 18's in too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement