Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft.ie, totally unrealistic asking prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

Freiheit wrote: »
    Is there any apartment worth E770,000?

Very funny advert! Do they really think they are going to find someone that stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

BenThere wrote: »
    Do you think that agent will earn anything from that advert? Of course not. His only hope is that after a few weeks of no enquiries the owner (his client) sees sense and drops the price to a figure which will attract buyer interest.

He won't earn anything from the advert because another agent already sold it at auction for 250k. I said this in my post - you even quoted it. I'm wondering why he's leaving the advert up with the 1 million asking price and I'm guessing it's incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Happy Christmas to one and all. I think the seller had to much mulled wine.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=630879

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

luzon wrote: »
    Happy Christmas to one and all. I think the seller had to much mulled wine.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=630879

I think that has been profesionally staged for sale/photos, complete with designer pink shoes in hall, and (same) comfy throw in each room.

That 770,000 Galway apartment is awful, really cheap fittings, and that pole :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I think that has been profesionally staged for sale/photos, complete with designer pink shoes in hall, and (same) comfy throw in each room.

That house looks much better insider, and has a large extension. It isn't worth what is being asked, but would be worth much more than an adjoining property.

At €280K I might be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

The throw is freaking me out! It's like it follows you around the house :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Why bother taking it down if he's paid for the ad for a month or two? Someone might see that, then click through to something else on his books.*

*Just a guess.

It's a bad guess.
    You don't attract buyers by offering crazy ridiculous prices.
    it usually works the other way.
    odds_on wrote: »
    You must be joking - nothing much in Galway under 100,000.

It's a damn dear city to get even an apartment. But at 770,000, for a 2 bed 2 bath --- someone's either dreaming or got a bump on the head!

I agree, the overall size must include the terrace which is about 75 sq. m, leaving the apartment at about 89 sq. m. making it about 8651 euros per sq. m.

Now that's what I call expensive.

The build quality does not look great and it is no way worth even a third of that.
    It's only saving grace is location and view.
    Guy's,

When are people going to realise that Estate Agents (of which I'm NOT!) don't determine the value a property is advertised at, their clients do. If an estate agent won't advertise a property at the price instructed the owner will simply move on to another agent. Estate agents TAKE instructions, they don't give them.

To illustrate, would you blame the owners of Done Deal if someone advertises a 2005 Ford Mondeo 1.6 petrol with 200,000 miles for €90,000??? No you wouldn't. You'd say the guy selling it was out of touch and hadn't a hope of selling it at that price. The only difference with property is that instead of the owner taking the pictures and posting them online themselves they get someone called an Estate Agent to do it for them on the promise that if they handle the enquiries and negotiations and it sells they'll get a commission.

If an Estate Agent could convince a client to market a property at a price it would actually sell for they would. It's the only way they can earn their living. Do you think that agent will earn anything from that advert? Of course not. His only hope is that after a few weeks of no enquiries the owner (his client) sees sense and drops the price to a figure which will attract buyer interest.

Ben

Somewhat true, but I know from experience Estate Agents offer advice.
    They tell the client what they think it is worth and what to ask.
    Now the client can ignore them of course but the good ones make it pretty clear you are not going to get it.

Also it is very noticable how most if not all the properties advertised by particular EAs are highly overvalued.
    I can think of one in particular where their properties are always overly high asking prices.

Now that can't just be all the clients demanding this, it has to have something to do with EA.
    Yahew wrote: »
    That house looks much better insider, and has a large extension. It isn't worth what is being asked, but would be worth much more than an adjoining property.

At €280K I might be interested.

Some eejit who has spent a fortune with the likes of that RTE architect and some fancy interior designers think that their tastes warrant a huge asking price for basically a tarted up terraced ex council house.

BTW I hate the throw and the bloody blue everywhere.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Guy's,

When are people going to realise that Estate Agents (of which I'm NOT!) don't determine the value a property is advertised at, their clients do. If an estate agent won't advertise a property at the price instructed the owner will simply move on to another agent. Estate agents TAKE instructions, they don't give them.

Unfortunately this is not always the case as 2 friends of mine found out when they went to sell a property they owned 18 month ago.

The EA was brought in to give a value on the property, which they was told it was X amount. They wanted to sell it sooner rather than later so they agreed with the EA that they would be flexible on price and to market it for that price but any offers that come within 10% of that price they would be willing to talk with prospective buyers.

After 2 months, nothing, no viewings, no enquiries nothing.

The property was rented and one day as my friend was calling into the house to fix an issue the tenant was having, he noticed some people outside the house. When leaving he asked them if they were ok and they informed him that they enquired about the 3 times and the EA never bothered getting back to them, returning a call, answering an email, nothing.

Eventually they managed to catch him in the office and he straight out asked what price range they were considering, they mentioned a price that was within the 10% and he basically snorted at them, dismissed them and told them to come back when they had a realistic offer.

Needless to say after being insulted like that, they had no intention of dealing with an ignorant pig like that, so they were trying to find out who the owner was and approach him directly.

In the they did actually sell the property to these people, but when the EA came looking for his fee he was promptly showed the door and threatened with legal action if he approached them again, which he never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is not always the case as 2 friends of mine found out when they went to sell a property they owned 18 month ago.

The EA was brought in to give a value on the property, which they was told it was X amount. They wanted to sell it sooner rather than later so they agreed with the EA that they would be flexible on price and to market it for that price but any offers that come within 10% of that price they would be willing to talk with prospective buyers.

After 2 months, nothing, no viewings, no enquiries nothing.

The property was rented and one day as my friend was calling into the house to fix an issue the tenant was having, he noticed some people outside the house. When leaving he asked them if they were ok and they informed him that they enquired about the 3 times and the EA never bothered getting back to them, returning a call, answering an email, nothing.

Eventually they managed to catch him in the office and he straight out asked what price range they were considering, they mentioned a price that was within the 10% and he basically snorted at them, dismissed them and told them to come back when they had a realistic offer.

Needless to say after being insulted like that, they had no intention of dealing with an ignorant pig like that, so they were trying to find out who the owner was and approach him directly.

In the they did actually sell the property to these people, but when the EA came looking for his fee he was promptly showed the door and threatened with legal action if he approached them again, which he never did.

I know of 2 other similar stories to this one.

In one instance the person received a letter through the door offering x amount as they were worried that the estate agent was not following up on there offers which was completely true. The estate agent told the seller nothing about the offers.

They even sold it to the people who offered by direct post and told the estate agent were to go & this was only last year.

But there is good and bad in every profession, you just hope & wish that potentially one of the biggest transactions of your life would be dealt with in a fair & professional manner all the time. Your trusting some random person who is just an estate agent but has his own vested interest too which is a bad formula when selling YOUR property imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I actually think now that the offer I made and had turned down was a bit too generous. I offered E135k for 1940's 2 bed,cottage style residence,which is in need of upgrade (how much I'm not sure). The offical asking price is E185K. I was really offended by the arrogance of the auctioneer. I'd post a photo only I don't know who's reading this. I think in today's market E100k,maybe E110K would be more realistic and I offered more than that. The auctioneer is doing the vendor a disservice,arrogance was stunning.

You know it's a long shot but I'm now looking building on my own land ,it's probably too small,but would be poetic justice if arrogance lead to nobody getting my money.

I know of a case where the auctioneer held out for more and when they finally dropped their asking price that the offer had been withdrawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

While viewing in August one house on our list we never managed to view because the EA was just uncontactable. Even while we were trying to get a viewing they dropped the price...

... and 4 months down the road in that specific area, 3 sold, 4 sale agreed... and that one is still sitting there... Still tempted to put a letter in the letter box to let the owners know what a waste of space that EA is.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

Bad people in every profession I'm afraid. Best way to avoid this is to get a recommendation from someone you trust.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I am absolutely amazed at all of your perceptions of the way reality is. My wife and I have been looking to buy a house over the last 1-2 years. To be perfectly honest, I don't even look at the asking price anymore. I noticed I did it last week when looking at a house online.

The asking prices should not even be posted anymore they are so irrelevant to reality. We have put offers on a few houses owned by banks, private sales or EA's. Its at a stage where you approach them and EVERY offer is considered in one form or another. Even after an outlandishly cheap offer the vast majority will come back with a counter offer.

On a side note, we have an offer on a bank repo house and are offering 80+% of their asking price that they had listed last year. We've been told they want the asking price. No question. House prices dropped circa 15% over last year, so where do the bloody banks get off holding on to dead properties while we bail them out. Its a win win for them.

The average joe is paying for their losses so they don't need to accept "reasonable" offers (reasonable due to current climate). If people were forced to sell instead of being allowed to hang on to houses "for sale" with huge prices whilst not paying mortgages, banks getting hand outs etc we would all be back buying and getting the country moving again! Its a vicious circle but its better than this black hole we're continuously falling into.

/ENDRANT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Celt88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Celt88

Wonder if I can get one of them from Scotland .It's alot more here for a house that price

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Celt88 wrote: »

Sorry- what are you trying to point out with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

why do they always post a picture of the road or the outside of the house, and absolutely nothing else
    im not going to be living on the fcuking road lads...

smccarrick wrote: »
    Sorry- what are you trying to point out with this?

I would point out the architect should never have been allowed work again because those houses/apartments look truly awful. :D
    And then the planners should be dealth with for allowing such awfulnesses to be built.
    Of course they are just my personal opinions. ;)
    bluewolf wrote: »
    why do they always post a picture of the road or the outside of the house, and absolutely nothing else
    im not going to be living on the fcuking road lads...

You have to think of the image.
    For some people it is important what it looks like to outsiders.
    Of course in this case IMHO it looks awful from the outside, so it must be really really bad inside to not show it.

Anyway you should know by now that if you only get pictures of the front of the house, the garden, the hedge at back, the view from the chimney or a view of the local beach/mountain/lake/park, etc then the house is a bit of a kip and will need money spent on it. ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

And the award for worst decorated house goes to....

• Advertisement

Ah come on, give them some credit.
    Look how long they have managed to knock out of some 60/70s furniture.
    They are an environmentalist dream and Ikea's nightmare.

The last time I saw anything close to that bedroom carpet in pic7 was being used as military camouflage. :D

It must be a rented gaff because I can't see any owner living like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

APparently you can replace the furniture when you buy property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=599515
    No even a photo to advertise this palace.

It is one of the best addresses in Limerick City,but E750K for bungalow?:confused:

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah come on, give them some credit.
    Look how long they have managed to knock out of some 60/70s furniture.
    They are an environmentalist dream and Ikea's nightmare.

The last time I saw anything close to that bedroom carpet in pic7 was being used as military camouflage. :D

It must be a rented gaff because I can't see any owner living like that.
    I was going to say it looks like somewhere that would be rented out as a holiday home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I bought my house rural Donegal in 2008 and spent months of my time on daft beforehand, at that time i could have told you the price of any house in a 20 mile radius. Since i bought i haven't really looked at local house prices, i do keep an eye on national developments, but i bought my house and was very happy with what i got so i never bother now.
    I just had a look on daft for houses in my area and i can not believe that not one similar house is advertised for below what i bought for in 2008. I expected to see nicer/bigger/better finished/better gardens etc for around the price i paid but not one.
    Irish people are living in the clouds, apartments, small semi's in rural Donegal have dropped but people who are still thinking they'll get over a quarter of a million for their house in a county with nothing special to offer are just mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I can imagine the conversation with these people...

Mr. Loverman: Hey mon, why you tryin sell yo house at 2007 prices?
    Seller: Because that's how much I paid for it back then! You expect me to make a loss?! (said angrily)
    Mr. Loverman then bangs his sister.

Senna wrote: »
    I just had a look on daft for houses in my area and i can not believe that not one similar house is advertised for below what i bought for in 2008. I expected to see nicer/bigger/better finished/better gardens etc for around the price i paid but not one.
    Irish people are living in the clouds, apartments, small semi's in rural Donegal have dropped but people who are still thinking they'll get over a quarter of a million for their house in a county with nothing special to offer are just mad.

Agree 100%. 1 out of every 6 people in Ireland is more than 12 months behind in their mortgage, but for the people who are years behind, they just put their house up for sale at huge prices with no interest in selling to keep the banks happy and the taxpayer just carries the burden. Why would anyone think about selling at a loss when there is no presssure, reprecussions if they just live there without paying the mortgage.

Everyone is being allowed to wait until we have the banks sorted before they release this bankrupcy legislation letting everyone default on all their debt. Its going to be a long few decades ahead!

Senna wrote: »

It is the same in other parts of the country.
    One area that I know of that I believe has somewhat seen the light is Wexford.
    The price of some of the one off houses out in middle of country have dropped a fair bit.
    Most are still overpriced, but at least they are more realistic than 30/40 miles up the road in Wicklow where some folk still think their 4 bedroom house is worth 650,000 to 1 million.
    Maybe in Wexford they have copped on that the huge volume they built means that half of them will never sell unless they are well priced.

Wicklow may be nearer Dublin and may have less one off houses (ludicrous planning in that county that wants most of it to be inbreds only), but the asking prices are often off the wall.
    nacimroc wrote: »
    Agree 100%. 1 out of every 6 people in Ireland is more than 12 months behind in their mortgage, but for the people who are years behind, they just put their house up for sale at huge prices with no interest in selling to keep the banks happy and the taxpayer just carries the burden. Why would anyone think about selling at a loss when there is no presssure, reprecussions if they just live there without paying the mortgage.

Everyone is being allowed to wait until we have the banks sorted before they release this bankrupcy legislation letting everyone default on all their debt. Its going to be a long few decades ahead!

I definetly know of a couple of properties that have been on the market for years, still with no drop in asking prices and the personal circumstances of the sellers are not good.

I think the Irish owned banks are going to have to bite the bullet someday.
    It was very scary to hear peter bacon, whose brainfarts helped result in NAMA, annouce on radio yesterday that the government should insure people against negative equity if they entered the housing market.
    THE state should cover the cost of any future drop in the value of new properties being purchased, a leading economist has said.

Peter Bacon, an adviser to NAMA and author of various housing reports, said this was the "only way" to encourage people who want to buy properties, but who fear prices will fall even further, back into the market.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/state-should-cover-drop-in-property-prices-178981.html#ixzz1iUISNxBz

What fooking planet are these people on that think house prices should be maintained and that the taxpayers should be responsible for other peoples' losses. :rolleyes:
    He started waffling about house prices were important to an economy.
    The only reason they are in any way important is people need to know how much disposable income they have and how much they need to save for future mortgage or put aside to cover their existing mortgage.

An economy is not bloody built on good house prices and the sooner some people cop on to that the better.
    We had Richard Curran singing the same with his last TV program.

• Advertisement

Speaking as one of them, people will not buy now because we know its going to drop more, as everyone knows a couple of people living for free on their bad investment and something has to give. If people are not willing or oblidged to take a loss on their bad investments after this enourmous crash then someone has to bare the brunt. Its the average Joe paying for it now, but as we all know theres very few joe's left to keep paying for it all and its getting fewer and fewer everyday.

So my estimation is in 1-2 years this criminally negligent bankruptcy legislation will come out. Over 100,000 people will apply straight away, go broke for 1-2 years leaving the market absolutely flooded with every house purchased in the last 10 years and everyone owing nothing. (They can then buy their house back in 18-24 months at half the cost)

Meanwhile leaving our kids and their kids to pay it back. This will be a generation long recession because of this new bankruptcy legislation leaving us all to foot the bill for them.

Its a dim view but everyone knows its a house of cards.

Advertisement