Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringsend

Options
  • 28-09-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Is Ringsend a safe decent area?
    All accomodation seems to be crazy expensive?!
    I'm working there so would like to live close by to save on transport costs.

If I get a place in Ringsend, is it ages to walk to Temple Bar/other city centre places?

I'm getting weak at the thought of having to pay for the luas every day!

Are there nice pubs/cafes in Ringsend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lukeage

Ringsend is pretty safe; I've not seen any bother in the area anyway.

I live close by in Grand Canal Quay, which I guess is where you are looking, in which case accommodation is fairly pricey. There are plenty of places advertised in the area though. I know when I was looking for somewhere I looked at a few places in Ringsend. 'Daft' is the best place to look I found.

It'd take you about 20-25 mins to walk to Temple Bar / city centre, although you have the bus station right in Ringsend that maybe you could make good use of. The luas is a pain, I know!!

As for pubs and things, there's not so many around. Again, on Grand Canal Dock there's a few bars / restaurants (namely Ocean Bar), plus the Grand Canal Theatre, and Shelbourne Park (dog racing) is a good craic now and then. You have a few old men's pubs and such like just over the bridge.

Sportsco is in Ringsend too, which is a plus if you're into footy, swimming or the gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

I moved in to the area 7 years ago. It's great and I wouldn't dream of leaving. I've never seen any trouble at all.

There's some lovely restaurants on Bath Avenue, Juniors and the Chop house are both excellent. Slattery's is grand on the weekends, not great when the work crowds are in. The Oarsman is nice in the village too.

You have all the benefits of town but it's quiet enough around.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭captainbirdseye

I'm in Ringsend near google and my house was broken into today by an English junky. He's late 30's, tall, skinny, baseball hat, sunglasses, t-shirt, tracksuit bottoms, runners, black leather gloves, London accent, mountain bike. He's been looking into houses for the past 3 days and was seen in the area knocking on doors a couple of hours after I was broken in to. Opened a locked door in 20secs so use all the locks you have on your doors.
    If you see him please call 999 immediately.
    (for search: Burglar burglary break-in robbery robbed thief)

Apart from that, Ringsend is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

I took the apartment.
    Really exp but I'm hoping I'll save on transport as Ill be working at the 02 which is just over the road.

Question for all you ringsenders... How long does it take to walk from 02 arena to temple bar/city centre.

I'm sure I'll know soon enough but would be good to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

suntottie wrote: »
    I took the apartment.

Question for all you ringsenders... How long does it take to walk from 02 arena to temple bar/city centre.

I'm sure I'll know soon enough but would be good to know :)

It would be a good 20 to 30 minute walk depending on how fast you walk. It would be a grand walk during the day, but the bottom half of it from O2 up to about the Mayor Sq/Georges Dock Luas stop would be fairly dodgy after dark. Lots of empty, abandoned lots and the joys of Sherriff St just around the corner. Once you get to Mayor Sq/Georges Dock Luas stops there are more apts and restaurants and pubs and generally more people about. Once you get there, you can head up Abbey St or Talbot St if you are heading to O'Connell St. If you heading to Temple Bar, walking along the quays is your best bet. Again all perfectly fine during the day but I wouldn't do it at night. The Luas is great. It gets you into town in about 8-10 mins. If you buy a Smartcard it is cheaper than buying individual tickets for each journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 thomas.oleary

I lived in Ringsend for a year, my door got kicked in once and my windows smashed twice :o It was me and a mate and were fair quite, Think the guy's who lived above us peed off the local kids before we moved in and they just took it out on the building?

Other than that it was lovely, 10 minute walk or so to the o2 staff entrance and 30 minute stroll to the city centre :)

Advertisement