Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Car Insurance

Options
  • 28-09-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Our car has been insured with One Direct for a number of years , we got this years quote and its gone up €80 despite the fact we have had no penalty points or claims.
    So we went online and found cheaper quotes , the cheapest being with Tesco so we rang them and they said they wouldn't insure us as my husband works in the licensed trade and they dont insure people in the licensed trade as they have a higher likelihood of drink driving.
    I know all companies have the right to refuse but surely its unfair of them to assume anyone who works around alcohol is a drunk driver.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

try FBD. I worked in Irish Distillers and had no problem with them.

As a matter of course ...avoid tesco ...they are a nightmare to deal with in the event of a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

As a matter of course ...avoid tesco ...they are a nightmare to deal with in the event of a claim

Thanks , maybe it's just as well they wouldnt accept us then

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Sorry , I thought this was a consumer rights issue because Tesco were refusing to insure us because of occupation and I wanted to know if they can discriminate against certain occupations.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

ring one direct and say you have a cheaper quote(which you have) and see if they will match it or come close ;)

• Advertisement

It happened a few years ago too and I rang and they did match the price so I'll be trying it again , thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Karen23 wrote: »
    Sorry , I thought this was a consumer rights issue because Tesco were refusing to insure us because of occupation and I wanted to know if they can discriminate against certain occupations.

Insurers can decide whether they want to quote for certain occupations or not. With the licenced trade, it is thought that such drivers use the road during the high risk periods of the night driving home. There is also the easy access to alcohol. Like a lot of insurance decisions, it is a mixture of statistics and perception, rightly or wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

oldyouth wrote: »
    Insurers can decide whether they want to quote for certain occupations or not. With the licenced trade, it is thought that such drivers use the road during the high risk periods of the night driving home. There is also the easy access to alcohol. Like a lot of insurance decisions, it is a mixture of statistics and perception, rightly or wrong

Exactly the same reason why alot of companies wont quote people in the motor trade,the underwriting criteria varies alot from company to company.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Journalists, people in the entertainment business, jockeys and on-course bookies are also considered high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bornok

I'm agree with this. Don't buy Tesco insurance they're too chicken too deal on a claim, my accident claim is almost a year now untill then no more result from them. I always ring them asking about the updates and they said they will call me back for updates but no one callback....

• Advertisement
Advertisement