Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Synapse - now in handy Humble Bundle form

Options
  • 28-09-2011 7:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just got an email alerting to the fact that Frozen Synapse is the latest in the 'pay what you want' humble bundle deal. Linky. Plus a few extra games (including Trine) as a bonus :)

It's a really fascinating game - turn based, top-down Counterstrike is a fair description in many ways, although has a character of its own. Especially nice is the ability to plan out your moves and then test them, even trying to predict enemy attacks. The results are always fun, and multiplayer is terrific.

Anyway, well worth a gander at the low cost of... whatever you want, really!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

One of the best indie games of the year. Get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

One of the best indie games of the year. Get it!

Agreed, the soundtrack is amazing too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I always pick up the Humble Bundles, some real crackers in them. This one is on it's way down to my hard drive now too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Already got the Frozenbytye Bundle, but paid more than the average anyway. Love indie games. Trine is a real gem for me anyway. Bit short, but good fun nonetheless. Still haven't got around to the rest of them though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Spacechem is included in this now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Frozen Synapse is the best turn based tactical game made in years and is worth the price tag for it alone. It's just a game to me that can only be described as perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Started a thread over in the strategy forum before I saw this. Only got it, but man, what a great game! So simple, pure, yet so diverse and addictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

It is good. There aren't many tactical squad based games for the PC really. This reminded me of x-com, which is a good thing.

There are more made for the psp. Some good ones are Final Fantasy Tactics, Warhammer 40k Squad commander, LotR Tactics, Disgaea. LotR has the same simultaneous turn-taking as Frozen Synapse. Warhammer has guns and optionally melee weapons, and the requirement to see the enemies. It's short though.

This offer expires tomorrow at midnight, for those who might be interested.

Anyone else who has the game already, and is interested in playing a complete n00b, my user name is the same as my boards handle :)

Anyone else who has the game already, and is interested in playing a complete n00b, my user name is the same as my boards handle :)
    Anyone at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Bumped the thread over in the strategy forum, but this forum sees far more traffic... Soooooooo anyone still playing this? I finally got around to buying it :o

DLC for this is out now, and looks freaking awesome!
    - Full co-op (2 vs. AI) for the single player campaign
    - A new unit (riot shield)
    - A new multiplayer game mode (“Upload”)
    - Three mutators (gameplay modifiers for advanced users)
    - 15-mission single player campaign
    - 10 single player challenge missions
    - 6 additional music tracks by nervous_testpilot (2 previously available in the Humble Indie Bundle)
    - Original music tracks “Deeper” and “Focus” unlocked during gameplay
    - “Impeccable Micro”, a free chiptune album from _ensnare_
    - The infamous “Red Mode”: it makes things red….
    - All online features, including co-op, can be shared between expansion owners and non-owners, meaning that there is no division in the community
    Even if you don't buy the DLC, there are two new features available; hot seat mode, where two people can play against each other on the same machine, and timed turns which basically enforces a time limit on turns á la speed chess.

Frozen Synapse Red (as it's called) is around the €8 mark and available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lil bit of a bump. Steam sale has me playing this again. Awesome game. Nearly done(I suspect) the blue campaign, then onto red.

1. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0FC0DCBACC8C216 I'm upping as I go from level 15 or so onwards. Check em if you like.

2. Wouldnt mind playing a few boardsies if people are game, adding steamchat could be fun, taunting people out :D

3. The only, and I mean only, problem I've seen with this game is the bloody core affinity. I have a Core2Quad at 2.8Ghz. Thats a decent enough CPU, but FS refuses to run anything but core 0, along with all my windows processes and is totally bottlenecking itself. This slows down AI moves and causes video renders to crawl (about 1.75x real time) compared to what they should be.

Setting affinity manually does little and seems to make the game unstable. Google seems to show this has been a oroblem for a while but I cant find a fix/dev response. One poster had a buldozer X8 and yet could only use one core. Like, come on guys.

Anyone found a fix?

ED E.

Sorry ED E, can't help you with the technical problem.

However, if you're looking for someone to play against, I "may" be able to help. Was a huge fan around Christmas, but haven't played much since, and haven't touched the Red DLC. But I'm looking for an excuse to get back into it....

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Started into MP, and yeah, I suck :S

Thought I was getting good against bots, doesnt translate to humans :/

Also, all my videos up here if anyone wants to checkit: #shill

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0FC0DCBACC8C216

Advertisement