Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Kindle - FOUR New Devices Launched

• 28-09-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭

First of all, apologies mods if you reckon this belongs in the existing Kindle thread - i thought given the sheer number of simultaneous product launches today it was deserving of a new thread. It also doesn't fit in the iPad Vs kindle since that's only comparing the new Fire tablet. Merge if you wish.

Ok been considering getting a kindle for a while now, used my GFs K3 and love it and had my heart set on one sometime, only dilemma was choosing between a 3G and wifi only models.

But now Amazon go throw a spanner in the works and launch 4 new devices. Not sure if all are available outside the US yet, even the UK site only has a few of the models. To summarise:

1) Kindle - US$109 (without ads)
    The entry-level reader. Same e-ink display as previous K3 but lighter and smaller. No keyboard on this one - instead uses a 5-way controller. Half the storage capacity of the K3 (at 2Gb). Also doesn't have 3G option - connect via wifi or usb. Battery life is also shorter for some reason.

2) Kindle Touch - US$139/$189 (wifi/3G - without ads)
    Touch screen model (duh!). No keyboard or 5-way controller on this one. Again e-ink display. More storage 4GB and the option of 3G. Slightly heavier than the entry level model but still smaller/lighter than the existing K3.

3) Kindle Keyboard - US$139/$189 (wifi/3G - without ads)
    Same price as the Touch - think this one might be the K3 rebadged

4) Kindle Fire - US$199
    Colour touchscreen tablet - akin to the iPad. Backlit LCD screen so no e-ink. Only 8GB and no 3G. Plays movies and has an improved browser (based on Android). Heavier and larger (7") than the other kindles.

Well I'm ruling out the Kindle Fire first of all - its NOT an e-reader, although a pretty competitively priced alternative to other tablets such as the iPad. Indeed the price difference between the 3G touch/keyboard and the fire is only $10:eek:

Second I'll pass on the entry-level Kindle. The smaller memory and lower battery life (although still excellent at 1 month standby) are the clinchers here.

So a choice between the Touch and the Keyboard (well the K3 really) and then wifi only or 3G (although if pushed for price I could easily drop the 3G). Not sure about touch-screens on an e-reader, don't want my grubby mitts ruining the screen. Would also be interested to know if there is any noticeable difference between the display contrast on the Touch and 3G. I also find it strange that a newer, lighter, smaller model with new technology (touchscreen) can be priced EXACTLY the same as the one it replaces:confused: Makes me wonder whether the 'touchscreen' is actually that much of an improvement?? Although they're probably running it as a loss-leader.

The one fear a lot of e-book readers had prior to this launch was that Amazon would slowly shelve the e-ink reader to concentrate on taking the war to Apple with a new tablet. Happily, judging by the new products launched, my fears are partially allayed. One point to note is that Amazon seem REALLY keen to push their new Cloud computing service - all devices have unlimited online storage for Amazon purchased media. May explain the 8GB on the Fire and no expansion/sd slot for additional memory. I'm not sold on Cloud so I hope that this won't signal ever diminishing storage capacities on future models:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Good post, and definitely worth starting a new thread for.

I've been waiting for this with some anticipation. What I was hoping for was a DX style e-ink tablet running Android. I realised that wouldn't be happening this year though.

I too am wondering how well the native OS supports a touchscreen interface. I suspect it will be rather limited but time will tell.

If I was interested in a tablet I'd be curious about a the Fire but knowing that the OS has been branched from the stock Android and that Google Marketplace isn't available would be the biggest drawbacks.

What I'm most disappointed about is no larger e-ink e-reader. The optimist in me hopes the are getting their feet wet in the tablet market in preparation for a colour Android e-ink tablet in about a year but I'm not holding my breath.

In the end it's good that there is another competitor in the tablet market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

humbert wrote: »
    Good post, and definitely worth starting a new thread for.

I've been waiting for this with some anticipation. What I was hoping for was a DX style e-ink tablet running Android. I realised that wouldn't be happening this year though.

I too am wondering how well the native OS supports a touchscreen interface. I suspect it will be rather limited but time will tell.

If I was interested in a tablet I'd be curious about a the Fire but knowing that the OS has been branched from the stock Android and that Google Marketplace isn't available would be the biggest drawbacks.

What I'm most disappointed about is no larger e-ink e-reader. The optimist in me hopes the are getting their feet wet in the tablet market in preparation for a colour Android e-ink tablet in about a year but I'm not holding my breath.

In the end it's good that there is another competitor in the tablet market.

For a while I was holding out for a large ereader because I felt the kindle dx wasn't big enough, but i got tired of waiting and got one and am delighted with it. It handles pdf textbooks and academic papers brilliantly with almost everything being readable without the need to zoom. The only thing it cant really handle are pdf magazines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yeah I wonder if there have had to be changes. Probably something similar to Sony I guess, they've had touchscreen e-ink readers for a while - the ones I've seen seem to work ok but looked a bit grubby. Granted they were shop display models.
    No new large e-ink reader, still doing the DX thankfully. Rumours were (and still are) that this model was to be shelved in favour of the new tablet. TBH I can't foresee a colour e-ink reader for a while - certainly not from Amazon yet, they do lag a bit in tech sometimes.
    transylman wrote: »
    For a while I was holding out for a large ereader because I felt the kindle dx wasn't big enough, but i got tired of waiting and got one and am delighted with it. It handles pdf textbooks and academic papers brilliantly with almost everything being readable without the need to zoom. The only thing it cant really handle are pdf magazines
    I'd love a DX for those things mentioned aswell as newspapers. The zoom feature on the kindle is very clunky. However the major sticking point for me is the price, $379:eek: Knock a hundred off that and it'd be a big seller. Why do you say it can't handle magazines? Colour?

Part of me feels that Amazon have over-stretched themselves with too many product launches all at once. Certainly given the fact that not all products are available worldwide would indicate so. It also doesn't point to any new e-ink kindles being launched for at least a year. Colour e-ink will probably be the next evolution in kindles, after perhaps a generation or two of the current models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    No new large e-ink reader, still doing the DX thankfully. Rumours were (and still are) that this model was to be shelved in favour of the new tablet. TBH I can't foresee a colour e-ink reader for a while - certainly not from Amazon yet, they do lag a bit in tech sometimes.

Color e-ink is already close to being released, but imo mirasol will be the next major step. The easiness to read of e-ink but with the responsiveness of an lcd, allowing for true tablet devices.
    I'd love a DX for those things mentioned aswell as newspapers. The zoom feature on the kindle is very clunky. However the major sticking point for me is the price, $379:eek: Knock a hundred off that and it'd be a big seller. Why do you say it can't handle magazines? Colour?

Well it can show magazines but the colors dont translate to the greyscale display very well, and you have to zoom to able to read any of the text. That, combined with all the pages of adverts means the magazine format just isn't very well suited to these type of devices atm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Makes me wonder whether the 'touchscreen' is actually that much of an improvement?? Although they're probably running it as a loss-leader.
    The Kindle has always be sold as a loss-leader so that you then buy ebooks from Amazon, the same as the ipod was sold to make you buy from itunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I love my kindle with keyboard, and I've ordered a new Fire (in in seattle).

I've avoided the 3g, never quite saw the point. Wi-fi only seems perfectly adequate as 99% of the time I only use it at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

The Fire is cerinally not an e-reader, it's a media device that comes with abilities to act as an e-reader. It's really just a platform for them to push their media streaming service and Amazon Prime. We probably won't see the Fire directly for sale here until they expand the regions for that service.

As for the cloud stuff, I think there's some privacy concerns in regards to their cloud-accelerated web browser, essentially acting as proxy service and the ability to give amazon some nice metrics about their users.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've not been able to figure out what this Amazon Prime is. From the way it's being touted with the tablet would suggest it's some kind of pass to access loads of media, but from looking on Amazon US it just seems to be free shipping for your paperback books?

There must be more to it...isn't there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

robinph wrote: »
    I've not been able to figure out what this Amazon Prime is. From the way it's being touted with the tablet would suggest it's some kind of pass to access loads of media, but from looking on Amazon US it just seems to be free shipping for your paperback books?

There must be more to it...isn't there?

I'm confused also. The Fire comes with a month of "Amazon Prime"...

But as you say it seems to be only reduced postage, but there's something about tv and video but I cant seem to nail it down.

The "regular" price is $79 a year, so it cant be free tv and films.... maybe its just a subscription to the streaming media and then you have to pay extra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I thought Amazon Prime was some sort of express postage deal. Since many people choose the free delivery option its a way to encourage people to opt for speedier postage. Not sure what price it is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

It's both, it's Prime.
    Amazon wrote:
    Amazon Prime is an annual membership program that offers customers unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping on millions of items and instant streaming of movies and TV shows for $79 a year with Prime instant videos.

More info - http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_primeland_primeinstantvideo?nodeId=200572880

The Amazon Prime brand started as a way to save on shipping costs but with extra additions it's become more confusing to define exactly what prime is. It's basically an Amazon membership program that gets you extra, lower priced or free services from Amazon.

Advertisement